Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink New G&L Offset Jazzmaster

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

I own a G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carvetop, basically, a Tele with Humbuckers made in Indonesia. I paid under $400 for it including setup by my local guitar tech. It's one of my favorite guitars. Plays like a dream and just sings. I certainly wouldn't call it a surf guitar, but it rocks.

I'd give the G&L Doheny a spin.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

Saw this on FB:

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

It's almost unfair, this video. Thanks Ivan for posting this, I hope the discussion is to be taken lightly, with good humor. It's only a product.
Admitting to being nowhere near a good player on any level myself... am I allowed to be an opinionated douche without even touching the thing?

Good demo that seems to translate very accurately. Simple settings, nice low reverb, clear and straight. IMHO, the presenter (what he said about the bridge and break angle was nonsense of course), by being somewhat uneducated on matters, but staying genuinely positively neutral and exciting as an office cubicle wall, exposed the simple truths of these guitars better than I thought possible in a video. If that was to be a comparison, the winner is so clear and shining, to my biased self. I know I'm not breaking grounds here, but it's fun to dissect.

That particular Fender Jazzmaster he's holding is gorgeous, and sounds dreamy like one would expect.
The G&L sounds like a weird Strat with modern/modified pickups. It's OK though, I guess there's a market for that. Not sure at this price, but still, sounds good. Capable. In the right hands, very few (initially well crafted) guitars that would suck.
If Wayne Kramer or Johnny Ramone or Ritchie or... had one of these back in the day or... this day, I'm sure they'd know what to do with it. It looks great for beginners too, un-threatening. Enough neutrality?
Visually, even if I could get over the bridge (which is most likely excellent by itself), the missing tremolo piece from this exposed great flat surface leaves an uncanny feeling of sadness and detachment.
Sure, somebody can get used to that. It could SURF. 'One' could also get used to being in jail.

Still, can't escape the feeling it generally gives the same aura as most Hollywood movies from the last 20 years - design by committee. Faking essence, as if combining one thing with another qualifies it as virtuous, just by being made. One testimony to the downfall of Post-Modernism. In other words - a mess, or an experiment. How to know? When you feel it's solely upon YOU to inject some soul into the thing.
I don't blame nobody, Fender did it first.

They will sell (many good dentist (*) dads etc. out there Big Razz Could also really appeal to some daughters too), and I wish them and all guitar manufacturers in the world good luck. In this age, any kid that picks up an instrument, that is marginally unusual as this one, deserves encouragement and kudos. Still, I wish they weren't that afraid of random overtones.
I'm saying this to myself - and it's almost redundant and cliche but really not - Just make music, all the wonderful tools are out there, and these are great times, POTENTIALLY.

(*) Toothache right now, so...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 17:54:00

I think the g&l sounds better by itself, but it being thicker with more range (and low end) means it’s only going to disappear into a band mix that much easier.
I bet those pickups and that wiring would sound fantastic with a jazz bridge and vibrato (and the extra 6” of string floating around back there).

I always enjoy reviews when the reviewer doesn't own or understand the guitar he's talking about. It seemed pretty clear to me this guy is no fan of Jazzmasters.

I thought the JM in the video sounded a lot like a JM, and the Doheny sounded like a G&L. They both sounded good thru a low volume Deluxe into a camera mic. And thats the real test of a good guitar, isn't it? Face Palm

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

You’ve never heard of a master trem bridge before??

Ha ha! I noticed that too!
Apparently, available in the UK.

I think he was combining Mastery and Staytrem??

Chippertheripper wrote:

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 14:30:04

I googled his shop, and they are a G&L dealer, but not a Fender dealer. He had a blog about his current guitar setup. It's a G&L ASAT, or Telecaster type guitar with no trem. He also mentioned his other guitar, also with no trem. So, a Jazzmaster, who's main feature is the quirky trem would seem totally foreign and useless....to him.

http://www.upfrontguitars.com/blog/

Off topic, but it looks like he kinda stole the SG101 logo. (I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but they are very similar.)

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 15:10:23

skeeter wrote:

Ha ha! I noticed that too!
Apparently, available in the UK.

I think he was combining Mastery and Staytrem??

Chippertheripper wrote:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure he meant stayery.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4