Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Tube-Town Surfmate 6G15 kit

Page 1 of 1

I just saw this on their website TT
I would be all over it if I had not already built a 6G15.

I'm sure some 6G15 corksniffers won't like the modified layout and power supply... Anyway I thought some of you might like the heads-up.

Besides, Tube-Town have always been super reactive with my orders. Smile

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017 18:14:37

It is an electronics parts kit, costing $188 in the US. After putting it together you would still need a cab, face plate and tank, and it will still not be a true Fender unit. I think a lot of people would sooner go for the FET kit at this point.

Warioblast wrote:

I'm sure some 6G15 corksniffers won't like the modified layout and power supply.

Whatever
It sure is closer to a real 6G15 than the FET Surfy Bear.
I have a Surfy verb and a homemade 6G15. It's close but you can't beat tubes.

I understand the appeals of the Surfy reverb; cheap , easy to build & reliable... but I'd rather put an extra 110€ and get a real tube reverb. To each his own.

warioblast wrote:

It sure is closer to a real 6G15 than the FET Surfy Bear.
I have a Surfy verb and a homemade 6G15. It's close but you can't beat tubes.

I understand the appeals of the Surfy reverb; cheap , easy to build & reliable... but I'd rather put an extra 110€ and get a real tube reverb. To each his own.

I totally agree. No pedal, digital simulation or solid state unit will sound the same. Sorry Surfy Bear fans

I had the possibility to directly compare both, the Fender 63 Reverb Reissue and the Tube-Town Surfmate Kit:

Video on Youtube

see you at monokinibeach

smid wrote:

I had the possibility to directly compare both, the Fender 63 Reverb Reissue and the Tube-Town Surfmate Kit:

Video on Youtube

Well it's an old post.
But you did an excellent job in your comparison video.
I couldn't tell the two apart at all.
Thank you for posting the video.
Maybe it will help settle some arguments.
Joel

I’d love to hear the uncompressed sound file. I’ve never personally seen any YT demo sound match anything practical.

Daniel Deathtide

essential audio uncomressed

see you at monokinibeach

Hey thanks! I listened on a big stereo and couldn’t really hear a difference either. Very well done demo. I did like the optional extra brightness of the Fender tho.

Daniel Deathtide

Tube-town are great people to deal with , especially in Europe. I bought the Surfy, but if I were doing it today I'd go for their kit for sure.

The only minor inconvenience is if you have queries. THeir forum is a bit weird... passive aggressive if anyone shows their ignorance, but there are some nice, kind people on there too. (IIRC, Smid is one of the kind, helpful ones). But that's easily balanced by the fact their stuff is well-engineered, standardised power supplies etc save you lots of money too.

Incidentally, tube-town also have a FET reverb, which is more versatile than the Surfy as it works at both instrument and line level, and a fraction of the price. Needs an output transformer. I have one, although I'm not near to building it yet.

I really wish Tube-town would produce their own harmonic trem. Would be awesome to have a combined unit with a simplified power supply...

Last edited: Apr 01, 2020 06:58:53

Page 1 of 1