Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Making Surf Music Mainstream

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

JObeast wrote:

ArtS wrote:

Agree that most kids today with shorter attention span and tons of new songs coming out today are not really interested in creating their own music scene [...] Today, although a lot of kids are "songwriters", everyone's kid plays an instrument, writes music and pops it on the Internet radio, etc... but a lot of it is just regurgitating the same stuff on the Disney Channel, or on their playlist instead of trying to separate themselves. (LIKE the Cosby/Sinatra days the focus is on the individual singer, not the genre of music) Plus there's just so much out there it's hard to grab a market share or differentiate your sound for any amount of time. >

As the father of a 14 year-old I concur; kids these days are lost in the limitless swamp of 'musical' overproduction WORSENED BY the instant availability of the entire catalogue of every bit of music ever recorded. It's impossible for them to define themselves as previous generations did by selecting distinctive styles in exclusion of everything else. It's like that Eagles' song, "Life in the Fast Lane" - Everything, all the time.
I predict the one who attempt to really save themselves will just unplug and reject all recorded music.

I think your point is quite salient JO. People are overwhelmed with choice. To the extent that Surf Music "sounds" different is an advantage However,it is viewed as so arcane (if at all) that it is seldom tied in to other types of other music- exposure wise. As is, I'm thinking that embracing the folk music or world music view may be the best way forward marketing wise. On the other hand, if you intend to compete in the main stage market place,in an anti-guitar world (as in guitar hero masturbation belongs to a previous generation -not mine), a change in the rhythms (trust me, I looooove surf drumming)as in current norms, perhaps a rethinking of how the guitars work (?) and maybe a little more emphasis on vocals/chants. One could say "well then that's not surf music" and that would be a very reasonable point of view. However, one could also choose to view the above changes as opening a door for others into more trad surf music. OK, my brief moment of heresy has ended.
Fight Face Palm Duh Picard Face Palm Oy Vey Sorry WTF? SG101!

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017 13:23:14

If surf music is going to become more prevalent in any way, somebody young and fun and cute has to play it.
The only reason I knew surf existed as a kid was because MOAM was playing their brand of it when I was in high school. And they were somehow on the edge of the punk rock stuff I was into.

Did you notice the hip young crowd that came out to see Messer Chups at the Redwood last year? Oleg doesn't look 40, though he is.
Fact is that rock/alternative audiences tend to stay with musicians of about their age. They aren't into music as such to the extent that they would altogether overlook age. They respond on a primitive social level that is obsessed with symbols of belonging.
Maybe Lucha libre or skull masks can help an aging band overcome the identification obsession. Anything to take the focus off the face and hair and allow identification with sounds and feelings.
Nebulas, Los S., Secret Chiefs and Joliet's own local hoodied pervs the Perks all cultivate mysterious musical personas where awesome players hiding their faces create an intriguing aura that draws the audience in regardless of how the players look. But this is not a strategy for entering the mainstream.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 00:03:57

deleted.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018 08:59:00

Surf music is an endangered species. Amazing to think jazz has a 2.8 percent market share and that is below classical, surf is right there with Hawaiian slack key.

Happy Sunsets!

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 14:48:43

Delrin96mm wrote:

Ed Sheeran seems to be a really nice bloke who supports lots of good causes, but do we really want to be part of a mainstream that has made him and his insipid music a global phenomenon?

Since Ed Sheeran and the like became popular, emphasis in UK guitar shops is now on acoustic rather than electric guitars. Bad times...

Better acoustic guitars than turntables and computers etc.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 14:48:27

Don't forget that the advent of Surf music occurred during that five year "drought" between the death of Buddy Holly (Feb. '59) and the arrival of the Fab Four (Feb. '64). There was a brief window when it was possible for instrumental music to enter the mainstream and I think it was due to patterns of radio broadcasting. Since programming decisions were made on a local level an instrumental record could get a foothold and then spread from market to market.

That pretty much ended with the reinvigoration of pop and rock 'n' roll by The Beatles and their dominance of the airwaves on a national level. Since then there have been very few instrumentals that crack the charts. "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter was one exception.

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 14:47:50

ZoukBoy wrote:

That pretty much ended with the reinvigoration of pop and rock 'n' roll by The Beatles and their dominance of the airwaves on a national level. Since then there have been very few instrumentals that crack the charts. "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter was one exception.

Here are some more exceptions:

“The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” by Hugo Montenegro & His Orchestra, No. 2, April, 1968

“Hawaii Five-O” by the Ventures, No. 4, April, 1969

“Hocus Pocus” by Focus, No. 9, April, 1973

summerfun wrote:

Here are some more exceptions:

“The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” by Hugo Montenegro & His Orchestra, No. 2, April, 1968

“Hawaii Five-O” by the Ventures, No. 4, April, 1969

“Hocus Pocus” by Focus, No. 9, April, 1973

Yes! Good examples.

Back in the late 50s and early 60s AM radio was dominant, structured and very programed to avoid dead air gaps. In SoCal news, weather and sports started on the hour. DJs could count on dropping the needle on a two minute instrumental a couple minutes before the hour then crossfade from the last vocal song until the top of the hour. You could always count on an instrumental every hour at the 58 minutes mark. Those days are as others have said...long gone.

Happy Sunsets!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2