Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink In praise of the Surfybear Reverb Pedal (pre-assembled, not kit)

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I know there's a lengthy thread on the Surfybear FET Reverb; long have I stared in awe at the many custom builds there.

However - from my point of view as a non-soldering, no-time-having reverb fanatic, this new pre-assembled pedal from Surfy Industries warrants its own thread. For one thing, I can focus solely on how it sounds, and how well it's crafted - without discussing the tank/wiring/housing variables so awesomely seen in the history of all the custom builds.

HOW I LEARNED SURFY BEAR STARTED MAKING PRE-ASSEMBLED PEDALS

Long story short, I followed this site's thread about Bjorn's FET reverb from afar for several years. While heavily desiring a real spring reverb of my own, and respecting his approach to the circuit, I knew that this project was a bit much for my skillset and/or free time.

(I never got a Fender 6G15, but did acquire an amazing Gomez G-Spring, which is my spring reverb benchmark. Still, I wanted another unit that I could take out to a gig, without worrying about anyone spilling beer on the G-Spring. I was thinking about picking up a Fender reissue and taking a hit in sound quality... but that was not to happen...)

I idly went to Bjorn's site a few weeks ago, only to be directed to a new site for a new company, Surfy Industries. I realized that Bjorn and Surfer Joe had joined forces.

It was with great surprise and interest, indeed, that I realized they now offer a PRE-BUILT Surfybear, called the Surfybear Reverb Pedal:

http://www.surfyindustries.com/surfybear

Its form factor looked cool. The logo design pleased even this notoriously picky designer. And, best of all, I could try the Surfybear sound without soldering my fingertip to a potentiometer.

HOW I GOT MY OWN SURFYBEAR REVERB PEDAL
(BUT ALMOST GOT WASHED AWAY BEFORE PLAYING IT)

When I learned of this product, no units were available, and no pre-orders were being taken - so I kept checking their site, day after day, until the units were again available. I wondered whether their server traffic would reveal persistent visits from central Florida. Smile

I ordered one as soon as I could. I found during the process that PayPal was accepted (good, because I don't know the first thing about USA/Swedish exchange rates).

My correspondence about the power supply - and wishing them well on their business ventures - was answered swiftly, thoroughly and politely.

My Surfybear Reverb Pedal arrived on time, BUT the dreaded Hurricane Irma was threatening my state of Florida - and on the day I received it, I could only think of preparations, work, and/or the possible destruction of my home.

Despite this existential dread, the build quality and form factor of the untested Surfybear Pedal impressed me.

After the hurricane passed, I found that we were spared its worst winds and suffered no damage to our home (unlike many who were less fortunate). However, our power was out for two long, sweltering Florida days (again, no big deal, because others are STILL without power five days later, in the uncompromising heat). But you'd better believe I imagined happier days, with power for A/C and amps and REVERB.

I FINALLY had a chance to get an AC adapter, plug in and try the Surfybear, the night before last - and since then, I have been listening to that night's Jazzmaster/P-Bass/Jaguar recording tests.

SO, HOW DOES IT SOUND?

The unit is quiet, the reverb is glassy, the controls are useful. I am one happy Surfy Industries customer!

I know a lot of the sound comes from the selection of pan, though I don't have any real experience in mixing/matching my own. I can only say that this configuration has a different timbre and different decay characteristics than I'm used to from my Gomez G-Spring. It sounds very good - make no mistake.

I consider any difference a good thing, since my main use of surf guitar is in recording (unlike many of you, perhaps). Having two different-sounding reverb tanks is better than two that sound a lot alike, since I'm trying to make my one-man band sound like two dudes with two different rigs, playing at once. Smile

I am almost loath to compare the Surfybear's sound to other units, as if I expected something more or different. It's really good, by any standard that I know.

Maybe I should say that I was looking for another spring reverb, one that I can take with me and not worry about as much... hopefully, with a good sound of its own. So far, the Surfybear Reverb Pedal is tailor-made for those needs, with no fuss and no muss, and maybe a little less onstage worry than I'd feel for my now-irreplaceable Gomez.

I only wish for more time to test/play/emote/create through this beautifully constructed unit. Today, I felt I had to write and let you all know that, for me, it's a keeper!

I will write more specifically, when I can, about the pedal's reactions to different instruments - and maybe even share some of my own questionable playing - but let me just say that SURF'S UP when it comes to inspiration and fun!

THINGS I LIKE ABOUT IT
- the sound(s)!
- the usability and feel of the controls
- the build quality feels good and heavy duty
- the Tolex is cool; the black plastic sides are cool
- there is A STURDY WINDOW IN THE BACK to see the springs
- it comes with a case, custom-made for the shape of the pedal!
- it comes with a cool silver sticker with the Surfy Industries logo
- the on/off switch is soft-touch. I love this during quiet moments of recording in our small house... not that I usually turn the reverb OFF!
- It's not just for surf... roots reggae, and all of my originals, sound amazing through it, too! (Try it on a P-Bass and see if you agree)

THE ONLY THING I'D CHANGE ABOUT IT
- U.S. customers should probably get a U.S.-style power adapter. The voltage of the provided power supply is OK, just the prongs need converting to the right shape. Full disclosure: I knew this was the case when buying, thanks to good communication from Surfy Industries, so it wasn't a big deal - but there was a day (before the hurricane) when I wanted to try the pedal but couldn't. On that day, gasoline and drinking water were impossible to find, so I wasn't able to go AC adapter shopping. That's my only gripe, if you can call it that, and it was easy/cheap to find a different 12v 1 amp adapter once stores reopened.

Great job, Surfy Industries! I wish you the best success with this product!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017 15:53:39

Hey Tangentor, I definitely want to chip in and back up all you wrote there: this is a sublime product. It feels premium, very solidly built and it's definitely worth every penny. I just received mine yesterday and it's left me itching to play guitar constantly.

This is my second SurfyBear - I used a kit build for 2 years. However, my all thumbs soldering and construction skills didn't lend themselves to heavy abuse of the unit when gigging Face Palm

It gave up the ghost just before I had a run of important shows late last year. With no time to properly diagnose / fix the problem, and the kit being out of stock at that point I pulled the trigger on a Dr Z reverb unit that was going on Ebay...

I had been wanting to acquire an actual valve unit for a while, so this seemed a good a time as any. It's a great unit, solidly built and was adequate for my needs. But after a few months of use the weight and awkwardness of lugging it around was making me dread going to practices.

So, back on Ebay it went and the proceeds went towards a SurfyBear pedal. After having used a valve unit I can quite happily say I will never look back. The SurfyBear sounds even better than I remember (likely my dodgy soldering affecting the first!) and in terms of size and weight it's incredibly practical.

Coupled with my Quilter MP200 head, I'm quite the light travelling player these days Big Grin

I love the idea of attempting another DIY build some day when life slows down a little. But for now this pedal is perfect for my needs.

I've heard people say it gets you '90% of the way towards that sound'...I'm not so sure...I think I actually prefer the SB over 'that sound'. Either way, I'm certainly not missing that other 10%.

So really well done to Bjorn, Lorenzo and whoever else is involved at Surfy Industries. I understand now how this is such a game changer.

Thank you very much for the review! I only have one concern: Can you kick it? Repeatedly? Wink

Thanks

mj

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

for better or worse, I have left the tab open on my browser with the surfy bear on it. It isn't GAS, is it RAS?

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:17:50

Thanks for the Good review. I’m also looking for a reverb unit and I’ve been looking up as much information about the surfy bear pedal as I could find, including the 96 page builder thread. Everyone seems to love this pedal. While I can’t afford a vintage tank, has anyone compared this to a fender reissue tank? That would be the closest that I can afford. Surf on! Cool

The pedal gets the Baja pwee-pwee-pwee-pwee effect very easily.

This alone gets my attention.

The tone is a tad brittle perhaps the nature of the JFET circuit sans the tubes but not enough to detract from the emphasized drip tone.

If I were to record with it would run a tube pre or something before or after the pedal as a possible workaround.

The design and small footprint with the tank underneath is a plus.

Universal power supply wart.

Not exactly cheap, still is in a different price range than the reissue and certainly vintage standalone Fenders.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:22:34

I did the comparison. It's a sticky in the gear section. The Surfy Bear is much better than any pedal available right now and is just as good as a tank. Go ahead and buy it, you won't be disappointed.

The Hicadoolas

Thanks Tangentor_7 for a fantastic review Smile It makes me really happy after all the work we have invested (and still do Smile We also have some great ideas for new products, this will be an exciting year!
I just want to add, US power supplies are now available from Surfy Industries USA.
/Björn

We also have some great ideas for new products, this will be an exciting year!

Aha, are you taking wish list items? Bjorn, if you could work the same magic on an amp...well, I think that would be something pretty special

Thank you very much for the review! I only have one concern: Can you kick it? Repeatedly?

You know, because of the lighter weight, I think you actually get way better crash since you can really get those springs bouncing around.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:22:21

Tqi wrote:

A SurfyBear Showman? Daaaaaaaaang.

I would play a Roland Jazz Chorus 120. I would play a Carlsbro Renegade Lead 150. And I would play a SurfyBear FET Brownface.

I asked him this the other day, but he didn't think it will happen anytime soon.

But imagine the creative builds we'd see if it was available in kit form!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018 17:28:31

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:21:54

Being electronically challenged (and never having touched a soldering iron in my life)if I didn't get lucky with my Chinese Fender '63 knock off there's no doubt I would have opted for the turn key factory built Surfy Bear. The blond tolex would have been a perfect match with my amp.

FET Showman! Cool
Of course its possible to build a complete amp by replacing each tube with jFET/MOSFET transistors, but its a big challenge, especially to make it sound right.
The special thing with tube amps is the way they responds to overdrive. A tube amp has a high supply voltage (= lots of headroom) and an output transformer (affects the tone when overdriven).
The power supply would need to deliver a lot of power.
Maybe in the future... Smile

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:25:56

Joining the praise, of course. The pre built unit looks beautiful.

So, the fantasies... how about just the pre-amp (Call it "The Brown Bear") Uh-Oh say modeled after the coveted Brownface lower gain models. Sure, these already exist in one shape or another, but with Bjorn and Lorenzo's surf sensibilities it sure would be something special.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018 12:48:25

Ariel wrote:

Joining the praise, of course. The pre built unit looks beautiful.

So, the fantasies... how about just the pre-amp (Call it "The Brown Bear") Uh-Oh say modeled after the coveted Brownface lower gain models. Sure, these already exist in one shape or another, but with Bjorn and Lorenzo's surf sensibilities it sure would be something special.

Sure! And a switchable blond/blackface (panda bear), distortion (grizzly), mild overdrive (honey bear), etc. etc. Smile

Goto Page: 1 2 Next