Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Dick Dale's The Beast in the transitional Burgundy Mist/Candy Apple Purple in '63!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

IvanP wrote:

If you look at the photo as a whole, there is a fairly strong shadow thrown by the lights, so it's quite possible that part of what appears to be the black band on the upper edge is actually the shadow, making the band appear bigger than it actually is. Also, though I see what you're saying, I think it's quite possible that the old photo just doesn't have enough detail/pixels to fully capture the degradations of the burst on the upper horn. The black bands appear to be pretty close on the lower part of the body (by the strap button and the jack plate) of the two guitars. Just throwing it out there. I am NOT saying that this is DEFINITELY Eddie's guitar - by no means, I'm just saying it's still possible to explain your (valid) observations.

I agree that the lower band is pretty compelling. I wish there was a more definite "landmark" that we could see to be sure this is the same guitar. As it is, given all the variables between the photos, it can't be ruled in or out by visual means...at least the way I'm looking at it.

Thanks, Surfbeat! I was just putting too much weight into the order you had listed the colors. The other colors were very unlikely to be photographed, but as exciting as it was the see the purple, it seemed worth asking!

Rosewood was surely out by '59, but I remember reading of him getting the guitar years before that. It very well could've been a matter of mistyping, as 1959 makes much more sense with the timeline of everything.

I just saw that Fender has a signature Jaguar bass for Mastodon's bass player Troy Sanders, finished in Silverburst - pretty similar to Eddie's finish, though obviously without the metal flakes.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Ivan, Fender actually offers a Tele & Strat in silverburst too....

Otto & The Ottomans
Kennedy Custom Guitars

Thanks, Bob! Didn't know that. Really like that finish - though it would be even better with metal flakes! Smile

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

Really like that finish - though it would be even better with metal flakes! Smile

Agree they should've shot that with the sparkle gun.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Heck yeah! Big Grin

This silverburst would have looked good with my new Space Cossacks machine:

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

Heck yeah! Big Grin

This silverburst would have looked good with my new Space Cossacks machine:

Have someone take your Space Cossacks Light Saber and shoot it like Eddie B's. Two homages for the price of one.
Stir the Pot

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

It looks like someone else thinks the Larry Robbins guitar is actually Eddie B's. Here it is in the Songbirds Museum in Tennessee, with what looks to me like an Eddie and the Showman picture next to it.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

HOLY COW! Awesome! How did you find this, Chris?

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

HOLY COW! Awesome! How did you find this, Chris?

Someone on Offset Guitar Forum posted about 30 pictures of the museum displays. Maxx Kominsky saw this picture and commented on it. It was all Maxx!

I've emailed the museum to see if they consider it to be Eddie B's.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 13:09:17

Sonichris wrote:

Someone on Offset Guitar Forum posted about 30 pictures of the museum displays. Maxx Kominsky saw this picture and commented on it. It was all Maxx!

Go, Maxx, go!!! Great eye! Very impressive.

I've emailed the museum to see if they consider it to be Eddie B's.

Please let us know when you hear from them. I'd also be really interested in finding out whether the museum owns the guitar or if it's been temporarily lent to them.

(I can't tell, but is that whole display devoted to Fender guitars in surf music in particular? Any of the others potentially historic?)

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Here's the tread on OSG.

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=105348

Not just Fenders, but the pictures on OSG are mostly Fender, and mostly offset.
Lot's of historic guitars, including celebrity owned and historically significant for other reasons. Looks impressive, to say the least.

https://songbirdsguitars.com

Thanks, Chris, I'll check it out, but I was asking about the particular photo above - is that a display of surf-music-related instruments, do you know?

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I don't know.

I did check out that thread, and OMG!! OMG UNBELIEVABLE!!! I've GOTTA go there!

I don't want to register for that forum in order this question, so maybe you know or can ask it for me, Chris: the OP said that he posted the Strat photos on a Strat-themed forum; do you know which one that might be?

Thanks again for all this cool info!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 20:58:23

Maybe Strat talk.com?
http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/pre-cbs-strats-at-songbirds.446014/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 22:36:29

YOWSA!! That's the stuff, Chris! You RULE! Thank you so much!!! Drool Drool Drool

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Here is a closer look at the DD's Strat in the Burgundy Mist period:

Concerning the question, whether all of these different looks are really just repaints: Does anybody know the story behind the silver Strat with black guard attributed to DD in the Songbirds exhibiton (picture from the Strat-Talk thread linked to above):

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Looks like The Beast had a few paint jobs over the years - just wonder who actually apinted it -was it Earl Schibe auto or some Surf Board builder etc

I remember DD said in some interview that the body was originally white - but then said that Fender had to build a new jig to flip the controls around??? I guess the first Strat he had was right handed flipped upside down like Hendrix later use to do (DD said he met Hendrix twice at his concerts while Jimmy was still in the army). I know he was holding a silver body Strat with a red pickguard in a Surf movie. Not sure if it was the same guitar or not. But the purple body Strat is interesting. I guess The Beast was a work in progress way back then.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next