Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink '58 Strat w/ Blue Burst

Page 1 of 1

Greetings everyone! After my father and I recently watched "Muscle Beach Party", it sparked the topic of his old '58 blue burst strat. He's always been curious of its custom paint history, but has never had the "technological resources" to get too deep into the subject. A quick google search brought me to this forum, which looked like the perfect platform for other gearheads to nerd out on!

A little history: In 1972 my father purchased the guitar from a buy/sell/trade music shop in Costa Mesa, off of Old Newport Drive. He said it had just been traded in that morning for an acoustic by a local musician who said it had been sitting in the closet for years. My dad is a fender lover and knows of the poor record keeping regarding the early custom colors. He's always hoped that it was done "factory" rather than refurbished, and for what it's worth, some experts he's had look at it say it doesn't appear to have been sanded down.

If anyone would like to offer some insight/questions or possible history tips on where this guitar might've been, I'd love to hear!

Anyhow, on to the good stuff!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017 15:42:18

That is really cool! Do you have any pictures of the inside, or the neck pocket?

I assume you know of Dennis Swiden.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing these pics. (looks like it has a 5-pos switch)

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Only recently have I heard his name on some of the threads here on the forum. I must admit that the possibility of him painting it sparked my curiosity quite a bit! I was hoping that the pics where you can see the wear through the layers of paint might help confirm/deny it is consistent with his materials/style.

Sadly I didn't grab any pics of her guts all opened up. Is my memory correct that there may be some serial or batch info that could be handy in tracking info down that are only visible when you take her apart?

WOW! That's REALLY cool!
Yes Yes Yes Yes

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

So... get this appraised at Norman's Rare Guitars(or another expert) and then get this guitar insured. A 1958 is going to be worth about $30K. A one-off custom color, by Fender, with artist provenance is going to be worth a bit more. The Jazzmaster version of this guitar showing up created quite the stir, and this is a strat. Strat = bajillion times interest than Jazzmaster.

Again, get this guitar insured.

In addition to what Jake said above, I'd contact Steve Soest at Soest Guitars in CA. He's the guy I heard about Dennis Swiden from, and knows a lot about Fender history from that time period. He would be able to tell you far more than me.

And, while I don't think it is his, I'd get ahold of Art Munson, rhythm guitar player from Dick Dales Del-Tones. He has a website where he sells original music, so he should be easy to contact. For some strange reason, I remember him saying he sold his Del-Tone guitar after it sat for years unused. But, I can't find where I read it.

I personally think this guitar is one Dennis Swiden did, just because of the colors, and the burst pattern. It looks very much like many of the guitars he did that I've seen.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017 10:59:22

All I can say is, WOW!

That is a rare bird.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

What is interesting is that in the wear area it looks like the default yellow stain used on most Fender guitar bodies. These would usually go on to be Sunburst, or sometimes painted with a primer coat for a custom color. Primer coats were typically white, Desert Sand, or (gold or silver for CAR).

So this looks right from the pictures. I just am unaware of this sort of custom finish being done in 1958.

Sonichris wrote:

And, while I don't think it is his, I'd get ahold of Art Munson, rhythm guitar player from Dick Dales Del-Tones.

Why don't you think it's Art's, Chris? It sure looks like his!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

Why don't you think it's Art's, Chris? It sure looks like his!

I hope it is Art's old guitar, don't get me wrong. It just looks too dark, especially compared with Nick O'Malley's JM. I know lacquer ages and yellows, and maybe the 3 weren't all exactly the same color.

Thumbs Up

I would be surprised if there was another one like that, frankly.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I hope you are right, Ivan. It would be awesome if it was Art's. But, by his own admission, Dennis Swiden painted lots and lots of guitars, new and re-paints. And maple neck strats were plentiful.

to me, the Nick O'Malley JM looks closer to the pics from the movies than the OP's guitar.

Page 1 of 1