Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Interview with IvanP in SelectiveMemoryMag, 8/31/2017

Page 1 of 1

A brand spanking new interview with me ahead of tomorrow's show in Indianapolis.

http://www.selectivememorymag.com/2017/08/31/surfs-up-with-the-madeira/

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

That's a great interview Ivan! There is a lot of detail and historical perspective. It provides really good insight into what you guys are all about. I do hope your batteries recharge and you find inspiration for another project.

Paul

Great interview! I really hope to hear new Madeira in the future, but if that's not in the cards, you guys will have left a great legacy.

-John

The Seatopians 2017-
The Seatopians on bandcamp

Great interview.
I really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

CrazyAces wrote:

Great interview.
I really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.

What he said. Wonderful insights.
Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Good interview. I recently found the Space Cossacks - Live Supernova album, man what a well recorded album. Stellar playing and sound quality. (sorry, I am a little late to the show).

Thank you all, I really appreciate your kind comments, especially Paul! I'm glad you enjoyed the interview.

ratfink5 wrote:

Good interview. I recently found the Space Cossacks - Live Supernova album, man what a well recorded album. Stellar playing and sound quality. (sorry, I am a little late to the show).

Thank you very much, Shane! Now, just imagine all the wonders you're about to discover as you start checking out the Madeira's catalog! Mr. Green

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I will add that I applaud decisions like Todd's & Dane's to focus on family - particularly with teen-age children. More than ever, so incredibly important.
Thumbs Up

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I've gotten to know a lot of really wonderful people since joining SG101. I've had the pleasure of meeting many of you in person, and I've enjoyed every experience. I never could manage to get to a lot of out of town shows, but either The Madeira, The Troubadours, or the Space Cossacks were at almost all of them. I even saw Destination: Earth! once.

I've gotten pretty used to seeing Ivan, Dane, Todd, and Patrick at shows. Really great people, every one. As a dedicated fan, I was eagerly looking forward to their next project. But as a husband and father, I appreciate the reasons for stepping back. I already miss looking forward to their next show, hearing their epic music live and in person, which is always a fantastic experience, and catching up with everyone. But much like Dorothy at the end of the Wizard of Oz, I think I'm going to miss Ivan most of all.

I wish everyone in The Madeira a fantastic journey!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Well, thanks very much, Noel, but we're not ending the band, just taking a break. We'll be back next year. All of us love this band way too much to put an end to it! You WILL see the Madeira again, I promise.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Great interview Ivan. Although I believe you underestimate the influence you, The Space Cossacks and The Madeira have had on this music. It's been incredible to watch from afar. I can only imagine what it's been like for you. I look forward to your future endeavors, whatever they may be.

A bit of historical perspective from me, if I may. I attended quite a few Space Cossack shows in the DC/NOVA area, and I loved that band. When you moved and the band ceased playing I was very disheartened. When The Madeira formed, it was very hard for me to accept them as a "replacement" for The Space Cossacks. As time went on and I accumulated more Madeira releases I've come to realize The Madeira is more like a wonderful extension of The Space Cossacks music than a replacement. This probably became apparent to me when members of both bands performed together, at the Melody Inn in Indy 2010 I believe. That had to be a wonderful moment for you.

Woody D
S3 #148
Henrico Va

Cool

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Very good interview, Mr. Pongracic! I don't think any members of SG101 that have been here for a while would have expected less. Everything I have seen from a distance has been way above good. Smile You have always been graceful and respectful to everyone when discussing instro surf music from any of your bands' perspectives. Congratulations for this. Smile

wfoguy, thank you very much for your kind and generous compliments! I really, really appreciate them.

woodz-dog wrote:

Great interview Ivan. Although I believe you underestimate the influence you, The Space Cossacks and The Madeira have had on this music.

Well, maybe, it would certainly be nice to think that this is the case, but it's way too early to tell. Who knows whether there will even BE surf music in another 20-30 years! Shock

It's been incredible to watch from afar. I can only imagine what it's been like for you. I look forward to your future endeavors, whatever they may be.

Thank you very much, Woody!

A bit of historical perspective from me, if I may. I attended quite a few Space Cossack shows in the DC/NOVA area, and I loved that band. When you moved and the band ceased playing I was very disheartened. When The Madeira formed, it was very hard for me to accept them as a "replacement" for The Space Cossacks.

Ha!!! I really appreciate you writing about this, since I actually do think that you were far from the only one that felt like that. It seemed to me that there was a bit of resistance among the Cossacks fans to the Madeira in the early days of the Madeira - and I still feel it even to this day, though a LOT less often. I guess it's unavoidable, just human nature. I've seen it happen with some of my favorite artists, too, so in a way I should probably consider it a badge of honor! Big Grin

As time went on and I accumulated more Madeira releases I've come to realize The Madeira is more like a wonderful extension of The Space Cossacks music than a replacement.

Thank you, Woody, I think that's right - though neither band obviously was just ME. In the Cossacks Catherine and Mark contributed a lot of the songwriting and both of them as well as Doug have a very distinctive style on their instruments - just as with the Madeira where Patrick has written one-third to one-half of all of our stuff, and again, each one of my bandmates has a very personal style on his instrument that is not like the Cossacks. So, while clearly my playing and writing is the common thread to both bands, the others make each band into a distinctive whole.

This probably became apparent to me when members of both bands performed together, at the Melody Inn in Indy 2010 I believe. That had to be a wonderful moment for you.

Well, I haven't talked publicly about this before, but it was not such a wonderful moment for me since Doug and I got into a fight on stage at that show (fortunately, only a verbal one, not physical!). The Cossacks have always been a very volatile band, personalities often clashing. Some people say that's conducive to greater creativity, but I don't buy that. In contrast, the Madeira has always been a very harmonious band - and I personally think just as creative. But this is why we've lasted for 13 years now, with almost certainly many more to go.

Anyway, thanks again, all, I'm very glad you're enjoying the interview!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ivan,
Interesting.. banging heads with your drummer; banging heads with your Space Cossacks' rhythm guitarist (from what I remember your telling me on a visit); you and I have even banged heads a few times on this forum.
The only commonality of the three is ... possibly... you??!!
Nahhh... it was the three of us.

Be that as it may, I always liked your music. Part of getting older, acquiring maturity, etc. is separating personalities from their art. You aren't the first I've encountered in that category; I doubt you'll be the last.
Keep cranking out great tunes.
love and stuff
J Mo'

John, nice. I'll just point out that the Madeira has been going for 13 years, 12 of those in the current lineup, and no fights to speak of inside the band; the Troubadours with my dad and Dane on drums has been going for 17 years now; the Blair-Pongracic Band has toured three years in a row now, no fights, in fact total pleasure being in each other's company and having the privilege to play together. I think also the surf music community knows me pretty well by now and knows the kind of person I am.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Awesome interview, Ivan. The Madeira was truly amazing at SG101! No one can bring the thunder like you guys...

Kevin
The Out of Limits
www.facebook.com/theoutoflimitsband
https://theoutoflimits.bandcamp.com/

Page 1 of 1