Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 284 85 86 87 88135 136 Next

That's bloody amazing!

kizzer wrote:

I've finished my Surfy Reverb/Tremolo unit! Love the sound of it! The combinations you can create with the different types of tremolo in conjunction with the reverb are hugely diverse and I'm looking forward to using it in a recording session.

I went for the toolbox installation, everything fits snugly with plenty of room for the wiring. I used a meanwell powersupply that was suggested on this forum to power both the reverb and tremolo and it works great with no hum.

I want to thank Björn and Lorenzo at Surfy for helping out with a few issues I was having during the build. The customer service from this company is top notch. Also thanks to Gilette from the forum for all the help with my persistent questions about switches and grounding!

Looks great! Very cool build.

I've made a little demo of my unit, love this thing!

Sounds like surf! Cheers

Very cool animated video!!! Cool

Hello! I have a question! Would this especially noisewise be a bad idea?:

I was thinking to separate the surfy reverb into the "control unit" and the "sound unit". So, a smaller hammond housing where I put the footswitch, jack in-/outputs, dc jack, on/off switch. And then the spring tank with the circuit board somehow attached on it (maybe in another smaller hammond housing which is screwd to the tank). I could then store the tank for transportation on top of some of the effects and power supply in my effectcase without loosing space on the actual board and for the concert I could simply put it in front of my board.

kizzer, that's way cool! That shows the capabilities of the unit as good as anyone has. Smile

Humpelhuhn_Todesstern wrote:

Hello! I have a question! Would this especially noisewise be a bad idea?:

I was thinking to separate the surfy reverb into the "control unit" and the "sound unit". So, a smaller hammond housing where I put the footswitch, jack in-/outputs, dc jack, on/off switch. And then the spring tank with the circuit board somehow attached on it (maybe in another smaller hammond housing which is screwd to the tank). I could then store the tank for transportation on top of some of the effects and power supply in my effectcase without loosing space on the actual board and for the concert I could simply put it in front of my board.

Hi and welcome!
It's a good idea, and I've done something similar myself. A few others here did as well, check back through this thread, there are pics and descriptions that will be very helpful for your build.

After much experimentation, I've found the following scheme to work great:
- The pedal unit should include the circuit itself, and all the in-outs. The enclosure can be tiny.
- The tank must be fixed sturdily, preferably with some elastic material. Mount it onto your pedalboard somehow, just having it loose will lead to damage and inconsistent sound. If horizontal - underneath, if vertical - find place at the back behind the pedals. Use extra shielding between the pan and other FX/PS (just a flat piece of metal).
- Use a robust, well shielded RCA to connect the two.

Keezer - great job! looks awesome.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017 06:37:49

Is it just me or does the Surfy bear seem to drip more than most reverb units? I've owned a Texotica, a Fender RI, a 63 Fender, and now I own a Gomez G spring.. But based off of demos the Surfy Bear drips wayyy more. Is this a correct assumption?

The SurfyBear Kits are back in stock.
We got lots of orders in July and we temporarily ran out.

Buy at www.surfyindustries.com

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Any plans on making the reverb tank with trem built in as one unit?

Not a priority over the 1276 plans we already have Smile

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Hi,

first poster here!

I have been following this particular thread for years, and was waiting for the finished Surfybear Reverb forever. Anyway, I got myself one last month, and love it to death.

As I'm mainly a bassplayer, I wanted to have a second one, that I can build in my Bassamp Rack, I was using the Boss FRV-1 for years on my board.

So I got a Kit, parts and an empty 1U Rack Unit, had a large pan laying around already. When all parts arrived, I found out that the pan is too big for the Rack Unit, so I got a small one instead, which isn't even half as bad as I imagined, the shorter decay is even more suitable for bass, than the long tank!

here is the gut shot:

and here's the completed unit:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017 01:56:11

rkharper wrote:

Hi,

first poster here!

I have been following this particular thread for years, and was waiting for the finished Surfybear Reverb forever. Anyway, I got myself one last month, and love it to death.

As I'm mainly a bassplayer, I wanted to have a second one, that I can build in my Bassamp Rack, I was using the Boss FRV-1 for years on my board.

So I got a Kit, parts and an empty 1U Rack Unit, had a large pan laying around already. When all parts arrived, I found out that the pan is too big for the Rack Unit, so I got a small one instead, which isn't even half as bad as I imagined, the shorter decay is even more suitable for bass, than the long tank!

Rafi, have you thought about taking the springs unit from the long pan and putting it in the case at an angle?

Gilette wrote:

Rafi, have you thought about taking the springs unit from the long pan and putting it in the case at an angle?

no, I thought about cutting the sides a bit on the long tank, but even that would still be too long. I will have to take a look at the tank and dimensions, if something like that would e possible....

If you also remove the housing of the short tank you might be able to put both in there and add a switch to select either. Smile

**rkharper wrote:

Gilette wrote:

no, I thought about cutting the sid**es a bit on the long tank, but even that would still be too long. I will have to take a look at the tank and dimensions, if something like that would e possible....

Gilette wrote:

If you also remove the housing of the short tank you might be able to put both in there and add a switch to select either. Smile

Interesting idea !
Smile

Gilette wrote:

I was planning to do that (still am actually).
When I bought the Surfy Bear kit I bought 2 pans: a 4-type and an 8-type and also 4PDT switch.

I notice however that when I plug in the shorter tank I have to change the dwell, mix and tone or it will sound overbearing and it'll be clipping/overdriving the transducers /springs of the 8-tank.

Both are Accutronics pans. The short 8 type pans have 10 Ohm input impedance vs 8 Ohm for the regular 4AB3C1B. It's only 2 ohms difference but also 25% difference. I don't know if that's the main cause.

I was surpised how good those small pans sound. Very lush but hardly any drip. It sounds more like a hall reverb than the typical surfy spring reverb .

I need to find a small enclosure and some right angled connectors before I wire it up with the 4PDT switch.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017 16:50:49

I'm gonna keep the way it is now, as I wont be able to do a surgery like that with my 2 left hands. I measured the springs from the long pan, and it would be a very very tight fit, but impossible to get both the small and the long springs in it. And, you would have to figure out where to attach the small suspension strings, when the Pan is gone, I found a pic of a Demeter Rack Reverb, where they mounted the springs on small posts...I never could pull of something like that Smile

Forgive me if I missed it, but has the new Surfy Industries Surfybear Reverb Pedal (the pre-built answer to my giggable reverb tank dreams) been discussed here?

On this thread, I've followed the progress of the many amazing home builds (and custom chassis designs) with interest for years and only found out about the new premade "pedal" version by directly visiting Surfy Industries' new site.

I see that these are in production with no preorders being taken, but color me interested.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017 11:05:47

Goto Page: Previous 1 284 85 86 87 88135 136 Next