Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Enigma that is Messer Chups

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Trying to listen to past podcasts of JP's Fibreglass Jungle (iPod would only download a few minutes of each over crappy AT&T DSL). He mentioned Messer Chups and the new album, 'Guitaracula'. It piqued my interest in this odd outfit (band?), and I went to the more reliable Pandora app to set up a "messer chups channel".
It seems MC is not really a surf band at all but a protean & prolific project of one Oleg Gitarkin, only one face of which features the highly photogenic Zombie Girl on bass, a fairly straightup horror-surfabilly 4-piece. But much of Gitarkin's work is sound collage electronic sample-based postmodern mashup of vintage American and Soviet sound bits, musical and cinematic. Very sarcastic – about as far away from the rather earnest purism of guitar-religion bands that make up the bulk of what we call surf these days.

The enigmatic part of MC is that the surf quartet does play pretty bad-ass guitar music, with dark overtones, that while perhaps sardonic, surpasses many other more earnest bands musically. Gitarkin must really dig great surf guitar sound, as he has been doing it for some time now, like a KGB agent who graduates seminary and becomes a faithful clergyman. This must be a vector of the Russian personality, this ambivalence which is fully invested in both sides of an aesthetic argument, comfortable with antinomy. Meanwhile, they are one of the more compelling surf bands around, even if they are 'impious'.

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

the rather earnest purism of guitar-religion bands that make up the bulk of what we call surf these days.

It really is a darn shame about all these purist guitar-religion bands on this forum (dedicated to discussion of surf guitar - imagine that). I must say that I am concerned about the stress imposed by all of that earnestness and purism on your complex and sensitive psyche. I wonder if it would be better served on a forum that is more sarcastic and sardonic, and maybe even acerbic? Or, one can dream, can't one, even caustic and mordant? I say, off you go in search of such a forum! Bon voyage!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

The Guitaraculas - Two Bottles of Blood (2014)
Side project of Messer Chups.

Last edited: May 11, 2014 17:23:11

Wow! Big words, make brain hurt.
I'm just sad that they aren't able to come
play SG101 in Aug. —

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ivan, I love you man, but all he was saying (in so many words) was that they're different and he likes them. He didnt say that all purists suck, in fact he used the word "earnest". So, please please please, lets not get nitpicky. Cry

As for the Chups, personally, I happen to think that Oleg is one of the best damned surf guitarists ever. I love his tone and his aesthetic style, but most of all I love his little expressions in how he plays. He's taken a common sound and made it his, and has made it absolutely bad ass and fun to listen to.

I'm beyond sad that they wont be coming to the convention this year. Its silly that petty bureaucratic politics can get in the way of music. I was really looking forward to them. No

Just to be defensive for a second...While Fiberglass Jungle is far from perfect, literally hours of preparation goes into every single new show. This involves personally studying, usually researching and becoming familiar with pretty-much everything that makes it onto the broadcast. One aspect of this that I take very seriously is providing the correct title, geographical origin, artist, record label and any other relevant information pertaining to each song. I did not mention "the new album Guitaracula." I purposely discussed, as Crumble indicated, the new album "Two Bottles of Blood" by The Messer Chups' Oleg's new side project The Guitaraculas. Please don't misquote those that go out of their way to do things correctly.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

I don't know where this is going but I'm a huge fan of Messer Chups!

Sorry,JP, should pay more attention.
But Ivan, I think you are way too harshly defensive. There is no malice in my writing above and your response is just weird. MC have a malicious edge and that's part of the enigma of a completely authentic guitar band led by a deconstructivist like Gitarkin.
In my book, religion and earnestness is not a bad thing.

Squink Out!

Good thought provoking critique, JO. I wish more people would hear something, get excited, and start a thread about music. I guess it's fair for me to opine about them, (again) even though I only know them through their many videos. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned the post-modern angle as well, so I think you are right on. Check out (u-tube) the earlier incarnation, "Messer fur Frau Muller" which especially highlights their post-modern, ironic pop sensibility.

I haven't bought an album, because I don't know if there would be enough interest there for me musically. They are such a visual band. But I agree with your assessment of their talent, and I appreciate the idea of what (I think) they are about. The guitarist does seem to be a walking encyclopedia of surf/horror riffs and cliches. How's this for my own metaphor...surf music junk food. Fun, delicious, empty calories...but sometimes it's just what you need to hit the spot!

Provocative, musical tricksterism. Even writing about it will merit an ass-chewing.
Gitarkin basically uses hip-hop/dance methodologies with nostalgic musical samples from both the US & USSR. Very fertile material. The only vapidity I notice so far is in the emotional color – it's pretty coldly ironic all the way through.
I think Gitarkin, et.al. may compare to Mr. Bungle, Secret Chiefs 3, Laibach, John Zorn, even 90's Bongwater – post-rock, music about music. It won't let you get all comfy but irritates the ear and frustrates expectations. But he does lay dow some guitar badassery along the way.

Squink Out!

I like deconstructivist architecture, we have a few buildings with that style in Cincinnati. Really cool!

I got The Guitaraculas - Two Bottles of Blood in the mail last night! Listening to it right now and enjoying every minute of it. I say if you like Messer Chups(I do) buy a copy! If you don't like Messer Chups listen to the sample on some online site and decide for your self.

Jeff I am bummed that they can't come to Sg101!
But I am sure you will find another band, you have such good taste in music!

Hello everyone! I just signed up for this site to ask if anyone knows what guitar Oleg Gitarkin uses... and is there any info out there on pedals or his other gear? Relatively new to guitar, I think he uses a Fender Jaguar but I'd love to know more about his setup. Thanks!

Pretty sure he uses a Jazzmaster reissue, although for acts other than Messer Chups he sometimes plays a Gretsch. When they toured last year he only used a reverb unit and onboard tremolo.

He used a Jazzmaster at last year's SG101 convention.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I've only seen him with a Jazzmaster myself.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Jazzmaster and no pedals, other than a tank, when in the UK recently.

Los Fantasticos

Messer Chups are great. Excellent songwriting, execution, and tones. One of the more forward thinking instro surf type bands around these days I'd say.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Man, wish I could check MC out in the City on 10/28, but I'm hitting Earthless that night. Not a surf guitar band, but worth checking out if one likes a "Hendrix on steroids" 3 piece. Thanks for the info bigtikidude.

Have you seen Earthless before?

Messer Chups are from Russia,
I recommend seeing them now,
Each time they come they have to apply for a work visa,
May not be so easy in the future.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next