Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Cheap but good guitars

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

Call some local music stores and ask if they sell used gear. It gives a chance to try before you buy. Some even have a short return policy if you decide it's not the right one.
Guitar center has a used department and I think you can get online items shipped to your local GC store.
The key to finding a good deal in a shop is to check in often. Good deals don't last.

youngreverb wrote:

Besides Reverb and eBay, where are some good places to buy used?

Online: Music Go Round has no idea what their stuff could sell for.

Looking for b-stock on Musicians Friend/Sweetwater/Guitar Center's website is always a good idea.

Craigslist locally tends to have a lot of Squier Jag/Jazzmasters.

Offsetguitars forum has a for sale section.

Hell, check Amazon even!

youngreverb wrote:

Guitar Center's used inventory online has very competitive prices and usually relatively low shipping costs. There's usually fewer pictures and less detail provided, but I've bought gear from them and been satisfied. Reverb consistently has the lowest prices, with some individual exceptions on certain things that might pop up really cheap as a one off on Music Go Round, GC or local Craigslist.

CrazyAces wrote:

youngreverb wrote:

We've found some great deals on craigslist.
Squier VM Jazzmaster - $175.00
Squier humbucker strat - $30.00
'63 Danelectro/Silvertone 1449 - $300.00

Cheers,
Jeff

Thanks! I tend to disregard craigslist due to a crazy incident with a previous exchange, but this is pretty neat.

Gabe

Our beaches here get 3 foot tall waves, but it doesn't matter. You don't need to surf to play surf.

Hello! First time poster and aspiring surf guitar maniac.

I’ve been scoping guitars for some time and have recently come across the Tagima TW61, part of Tagima’s Woodstock series is budget guitars. Close enough to a Jazzmaster, and sells for around $239USD new, though deals are to be had if you look around. I’ve been most interested in the sunburst finish, but they also come in white and red as well.

Reviews I’ve heard, and inquired about, are all positive. Some players like the Tagima better than the various Squier guitars, to include the Classic Vibe series (YMMV). I’ll let you know what I think if I ever pick one up.

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 04, 2017 06:14:49

I should also mention the Tagima TG530 is their strat-Style Guitar, and sells for $159 new. I like the surf green one with the maple neck, but there are a few different color options to choose from.

Last edited: Nov 04, 2017 06:20:08

A local find is best, but as stated Guitar Center has good used gear for a fair price and low shipping costs. Local music stores mostly leave used gear alone these days, but if they've got used stuff their usually eager to sell it.

I am really diggin' my new Squier VM Jaguar three color sunburst. I studied different YouTube Videos, internet posts and of course Surfguitar101 and learned how to do a proper setup on this guitar. Took me about an hour total but it sure plays and sounds outstanding. The 24" scale is perfect for my motorcycle crash damaged wrists.

I gotta give big props to the Squier VM Jaguars and Jazzmasters. They can both be had used in excellent condition typically for under $300.00 . I almost bought a VM Jazzmaster at a local GC for $270.00; the guitar was literally in like new condition. Ended up with a used/excellent condition VM Jaguar from an independent shop that was worth the two hour drive to be able to actually play the guitar first. I chose the Jag primarilly because the shorter scale/neck mated to that big offset body was just a much better match for my short frame. The cool thing about the Squier VM Jag is other than a proper set-up with heavier strings (11-48's nothing crazy) along with putting some electrical tape around the bridge posts and a slight bend in the trem arm to keep it in place the guitar needed nothing else. The stock Duncan Designed pu's sound excellent, the nut was cut properly and the fretwork was very good. You just can't beat that.

My Korean DiPinto Mach IV is a killer guitar, plays great, fit and finish is amazing. As good as my American Strat Plus. I paid $300 for a used one that is like new, the guy I got it from won it from Los Straight Jackets show. Signed by all the guys on the pick guard.

Last edited: Nov 07, 2017 10:32:06

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3