Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink My nuts too small

Page 1 of 1

I'm switching to .12-.60 guitar strings (standard tuning) but my nut won't let the big strings in. I previously used GHS boomers (.10-.46). My question is, after filing the nut, will I be able to fit the GHS strings back in if I don't like the .60 strings? I'm not filing the nut downward, only sideways. Or will I have to buy a new nut and all that?

A new nut would be in order for a guitar to be able to function in tip-top shape. Will a .46 fit in that slot? Yes, but you are going to have all sorts of trouble in regards to buzzing and that string jumping out of the nut. You will likely probably also break the nut doing that.

.60 is kind of nuts, I don't think you'll be able to fit it in Fender vintage style top-load tuners. So if you have that type of tuner, please check first. There was a flatwound set I used to use that wouldn't fit in my tuners so I had to remove some of the wrap off the wound low-E.

Again, back to the .60. That is so heavy, Dick Dale doesn't even go to .60. On a 25.5" scale this thing is going to feel incredibly taut. And I do worry how unbalanced the .60 will be compared to the .12. Especially with a hexcore set.

Alright. I'm thinking instead to use Ernie Ball's Not Even Slinky strings (12-56). Would these allow the GHS strings to fit in better afterwards? Or is it inevitable that the nut is going to need replacing? (Also I changed my Fender neck to a Les Paul neck with a 24.75 scale length, it's smoother. Also this is a hardtail guitar with no tremolo)

It will allow it to fit better, but potentially still inevitable. If it was more like .52 I wouldn't worry. .46 is small, .60 is huge.

24.75 scale length will be more friendly to a heavier set.

Jake, any tension issues on the guitar changing up to a .60? Seems like a lot of stress on everything from the headstock to the bridge, neck and body.

Happy Sunsets!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017 16:25:58

Alright thank you. I think I'm going to switch to the big strings and hope I don't need to change back. Big Grin Of course I'll fix the relief after the tension is set. I'm just getting bored of all these EVH-style string-benders who sound like bend their strings with their minds. I like to work for it! Thank you for your help. I'll let ya know how it works out!

tahitijack wrote:

Jake, any tension issues on the guitar changing up to a .60? Seems like a lot of stress on everything from the headstock to the bridge, neck and body.

The guitar can handle it, obviously with a truss tweak. But the tension issue would be with your hands.

I saw a video on youtube where someone was testing the Ernie Ball strings and he could still bend and do vibrato... I think once you're used to it, it's fine...

Yeah, you can still bend with most things. The set is still light on the bottom end, just really heavy up top. Bending isn't the only thing tension affects.

Also does anyone appreciate my title? Geez I worked hard at that!
Laughing

As far as 25.5" scale length, The heaviest that I've played are 16-58.

In my experience, 11's with a wound 3rd string are the lightest that I have enjoyed so far for playing surf, as they're just stiff enough to handle some speedy picking.

After a lot of experimenting, I prefer 13-56 D'addarios. (nickel wound, not pure nickel.) They're readily available, a well set-up guitar can handle them, and 5 springs on the strat tremolo will hold up fine if you choose to use the trem.

I don't feel that going any heavier pays off at all, and really demands a sturdy neck, truss, and joint, as well as a perfect set-up. It's also so much tension that I feel that temperature and humidity changes have an even greater effect on playability.

Dick Dale uses 16 18 20 39 49 60
On vintage style tuners

Dean martin

minemaniac0305 wrote:

Laughing

Of course -- it's the only reason I clicked on this topic! My advice: Don't sweat it, nobody's perfect.

minemaniac0305 wrote:

Laughing

Sorry bout yer luck

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

minemaniac0305 wrote:

My question is, after filing the nut, will I be able to fit the GHS strings back in if I don't like the .60 strings?

You can use superglue to patch the excessively wide slot in the nut. There are several videos on YouTube describing this method and variations, such as:
https://youtu.be/slCMkvEfK_U

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Thanks everyone.. I forgot to post that I tried it out and it works GREAT! Perfect for tremolo picking and Dick Dale/Shadows style instrumentals. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1