Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Chord Numbering Convention

Page 1 of 1

Here's a subject my friend and I were discussing last weekend while musiking.

For those of you who regularly call out chord progressions by the numbering system--let's keep it simple and say you're playing a 50's rock n' roller that's a I-IV-V in the key of C major--what do you do when you're playing something of similar structure but in a minor key? For instance, say you're playing something like Bullwinkle pt 1 or 2. Do you call it a I-IV-V in A minor? Or do you retain the numbering convention of its relative major and say it's a VI-II-III in A minor and people have to know that the I is assumed to be the relative major?

It seems like if you make the numbering system mutable so that the I is always the root of that key, be it aeolian, dorian, or whatever, then that's a lot of memorization of different numbering sequences, whereas if you always keep the I as the relative major of your key, then you always know what chord each number is automatically and actually, you could get by without even being aware of the whole modal thing. Like if you were describing an A dorian song to someone who didn't know what that was, you could just say it's a II-I-IV-III in G major.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 09, 2017 23:26:39

For me, the key is the key. Sure, The notes and chords are the same in both modes, but the focus and the mood is different because of where they begin. So, IMO, progression number is unique to the scale. The root is the root regardless of I or i.

MAJOR
I ii iii IV V vi viiº

MINOR
i iiº III iv v VI VII

When getting into more exotic scales or modifying the mode (ie Phrygian Dominant), the chords can become something more than just major or minor or diminished (yay augmented!). I would just use the progression roman numeral with the appropriate modifier (like + or º) but keep everything in the right key.

What would you do if the song modulates between keys instead of just relative maj/min? You would need to properly label them in their key, right?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017 20:58:26

I agree that the key is the key. I wasn't trying to say that one shouldn't recognize the true flavor of the song and just try to call everything by its major "equivalent." And I agree with you--I think the numbers should adjust to the actual key. So a I-IV-V in A dorian might actually be written i-IV-v and the player just needs to understand that he/she is playing the ii-V-iv of G major. So... that's a lot of memorization I need to get started on.

Quick! What's the 3rd chord of the locrian scale? And so on...

Readfeather wrote:

So... that's a lot of memorization I need to get started on.

Excuse my ignorance, but considering the need for memorization, where do you (and the others) see the advantage of chord numbering over just writing out the chord sequences?

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017 06:55:11

Simoncoil, the guitar has the convenient characteristic of being easy to transpose keys on by the simple motion of moving up or down the board so getting the numbering system down makes it really easy to call out a progression and then put it in whatever key you or the singer or the lights guy wants on the fly-- "Guys, it's a 1-4-5 in G major" --without needing to sit there and figure out what all the chords are. It just makes it easy to convey the structure of a song in a way that is easily translated to any key. Of course it works the same regardless of the instrument but it's just nice that the guitar is so conducive to key flexibility. As opposed to a piano, for instance, where each key is a different combination of whites/blacks that must be learned.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017 14:16:58

Thanks, that makes sense! Of course I also do this when I want to transpose a chord sequence to another key, but I in almost every other case I have sticked to naming the chords so far.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

simoncoil wrote:

Readfeather wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but considering the need for memorization, where do you (and the others) see the advantage of chord numbering over just writing out the chord sequences?

When a minor scale is rendered as an harmonic minor, the chord at the fifth degree becomes a standard dominant 7th and I see it as being s key unto itself. So I would consider its chords to be numbered from the root of the minor.

Numbering chords has helped me with regard to memorization. Now, instead of remembering specific chords, I can take note of a pattern and remember, not the song, but the way the song is structured. This comes in especially handy when the song winds its way through different tone centers which may involve both Major and minor key passages. At least for me, the number system made music easier and more comprehensible.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I used to see everything as major scales and would of said "vi ii iii" for a i-iv-v in minor but it got so complicated and no one understood anything I was saying.

With modal stuff I usually still refer to the tonic as "I".

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

synchro wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

Readfeather wrote:

When a minor scale is rendered as an harmonic minor, the chord at the fifth degree becomes a standard dominant 7th and I see it as being s key unto itself. So I would consider its chords to be numbered from the root of the minor.

Actually, that is a good point is regards to Bullwinkle Part II. I believe in that song the G# chord shifts between minor and Major like a v to a V for the change to the melody. I could be wrong, but that is how it is notated on the sheet music I have for that song.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017 13:03:58

Knowing the chord numbers really makes it quick to transpose something on the spot. I've played some reading gigs/sessions where the charts are just written in numbers as well. USK usually use this system to communicate chords when we are learning a new tune. "Start on the I, the go the the V", etc

This is what is often referred to as the Nashville Number System. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_number_system

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

TheBeachCruzers wrote:

synchro wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

Readfeather wrote:

Actually, that is a good point is regards to Bullwinkle Part II. I believe in that song the G# chord shifts between minor and Major like a v to a V for the change to the melody. I could be wrong, but that is how it is notated on the sheet music I have for that song.

I just listened to it and it sounded like a straightforward 12 bar Blues in a natural minor key, which means that the I, IV and V chords are all minors.

Even with modal songs, the numbering convention works. Think of Spooky by the. Classics IV/Atlanta Rhythm Section. The chords are Em7 to A13 with a Bb diminished as a passing chord and then each verse ends in a Bm7. It could all be in D Major, but if you think of it as E Dorian the chords become I, IV, and with a passing tone diminished between the IV and the V. It doesn’t change how you play it, but it helps to define the feel, when you look at it as modal.

synchro wrote:

TheBeachCruzers wrote:

synchro wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

Readfeather wrote:

I just listened to it and it sounded like a straightforward 12 bar Blues in a natural minor key, which means that the I, IV and V chords are all minors.

Even with modal songs, the numbering convention works. Think of Spooky by the. Classics IV/Atlanta Rhythm Section. The chords are Em7 to A13 with a Bb diminished as a passing chord and then each verse ends in a Bm7. It could all be in D Major, but if you think of it as E Dorian the chords become I, IV, and with a passing tone diminished between the IV and the V. It doesn’t change how you play it, but it helps to define the feel, when you look at it as modal.

Makes sense. I am sure you are right. I'll go back and listen to it. Cool.

synchro wrote:

Inadvertent multiple post.

Did they make grass legal in AZ too?

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

montereyjack66 wrote:

synchro wrote:

Inadvertent multiple post.

Did they make grass legal in AZ too?

Only for “medical” purposes. Of course, 99.9999999999999999% of the population qualifies. There are people standing in front of doctor’s offices wearing sandwich signs advertising that the doctor writes prescriptions for MJ. It’s pretty much a charade.

The number system sure is handy and I do think that it's important to learn the conventional method of usage regarding root key etc.
I was resistant to learning it before moving to Nashville as I was brought up in the standard method of notation and chord charts but the number system has saved my ass many times.
I've had to learn a lot of music last minute, on airplanes, with no guitar in hand and not being aware of the actual key but the number system allowed me to chart the songs so that once I knew the key all else fell into place.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Page 1 of 1