Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink It's tough for me to say but....(Instrument Cables)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

dp

TVTheWiredTurtle
There is no better cable than George L's instrument cable. I've had the same set of cables for some 6yrs and they work perfect. Not to mention they have
very low capacitance loading ( cleaner improved tone) and they are a great investment.
$30 for a 10ft tone investment

+1 I'm also a big fan of George L's...mine are red...

dont get the white ones, mine turned grey from stage fung Smile Still sound
like a million bucks though. I was so impressed I made a wiring harness
from them. the guitar sounded like 2 lbs of poop was cleared from the pipes.
Mr. Clean ..clean

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nocturne-Brain-Preamp-Zombies/240721872969

my 2nd Planet Waves cable just shit the bed in under 1.5 years. Yep, they have the life time warranty but still!? 1.5 years and 2 cables? Im going with George Ls next.

gusto
my 2nd Planet Waves cable just shit the bed in under 1.5 years. Yep, they have the life time warranty but still!? 1.5 years and 2 cables? Im going with George Ls next.

Every musician I've played with has been screwed around with by monster cable and planet waves.. If you wear out the ends of a George L's you pull out a razor blade and hack off 6 inches and reattach the jack.

will you please share your findings when they arrive. I'd like to hear it.
I remember when my bassist was bein a wiener fighting with me that his
tweed guitar center suckbut cable was just as good as my "spaghetti George" cable. So during one intense rehearsal tune I ran up behind his rig and ripped out his craple and plugged in a George L. His face went from a "WTF" to a big
old grin and wow!
He called me later and told me he ordered a set of George's..

sometimes you have to force people to have a religious experience. Smile

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nocturne-Brain-Preamp-Zombies/240721872969

Assuming decent quality cables to start with, my experience has always been that cable length will affect the guitar tone more than who made it. Unless it's a coil cable from the 60's and then I think it was designed to alter the tone under the guise of being "flexible"..8O I think I've broken every kind of cable out there at some point, which meant carrying a well stocked gig box.

However, a cheap cable (like those two buckers the music store lets you use to demo a guitar) that's too long will suck the tone life out of anything or in some cases, make it sound better...:lol:

Add that to the el cheapo cables in use on a pedalboard, pedals without true bypass and tone alteration or loss is a reality.

This might make for an interesting shoot out as well. Record a guitar and then reamp it with all kinds of different cables and see if the difference is as obvious as perceived.

Mel

Mel

gusto

That's all? Not bad. You must treat your cables nicely.

I got through a lot of cables. Mainly because I try to use 10 foot cables instead of 18's. My 18's never go bad, because they never get tugged at full tension.

TVTheWiredTurtle
There is no better cable than George L's instrument cable. $30 for a 10ft tone investment

They are the best and most reliable cables I've ever owned. It's also cool that the ends come in unplated brass, nickel, and gold. All have different tones and all are useful with various guitar/amp combinations.

There is one thing I like about Fender's Cali line o' cables, and that is that they ain't black. I could fill a dumpster with all the black cables I've lost during hasty changeovers on stages all over the planet.

Conversely, I've also had a snot-green Rapco cable that has managed to stay with me for over twenty years since it doesn't blend in with floor, or the vast lines of mic and speaker cables that are strewn about.

If somebody puts out a good cable in a brighter-colored, easier to spot on a dark stage package (Spectraflex, for instance), I'm usually buying 'em.

--Crispy

CrispyGoodness
There is one thing I like about Fender's Cali line o' cables, and that is that they ain't black. I could fill a dumpster with all the black cables I've lost during hasty changeovers on stages all over the planet.
--Crispy

I wonder if these are any good... I wondered if anyone made a glow in the dark cable and googled it...

http://www.dagexpress.com/incEngine/?name=165-Foot-65mm-Glow-In-The-Dark-Guitar-Cable&product=1030207297&affiliate=605

THe NEpTuNeS

i use those super cheap live wire cables fomr guitar center, ive never really used anythin else so iw ouldnt know the difference. theyre guaranteed for life and yeah no receipt all i gotta do is take em back to guitar center to get a new one. i should try out those cables u guys mentioned

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

Another Planet Waves user here. Used the same lead for about 5 or 6 years now - I play in a punk band as well. Tough ol' leads and the lifetime warranty thing. It has a foil outer shield which helps, I think - doesn't fracture like a wire shield.

Never seen a George L lead.

Used to always make my own but gave up when I bought the Planet Waves one - it's dificult to buy decent jacks etc. Being able to fix your lead is handy, but not when you are always fixing your leads!

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

I wonder if these are any good... I wondered if anyone made a glow in the dark cable and googled it...

I like the idea, but when I sees a retail price of 9 bucks, I suspect it ain't quality they're goin' for.

I've been using Snap Jack Cables for a while now and I like 'em a lot.

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

don't know really what to think cause even if your a carefull ,cable seem to have short live ,if you play at home it will stay longer ,but if you move there is potential risk to them
i agree with the Fender junk one have live 1 year indoor before breaking 6 month after cause i move it
i have a spare cheap just in case and this one is dead after really low use
i think i will redo my own like i do before ,cause i trust in neutrick connector more than molded one ,i try to be carefull with them avoid to twist ect but it seems you need to buy something expensive to have a little reliability
for the sound i never feel really big difference between hight end cable and middle cost ,the cheaper sound bad(tone sucking the high) i agree but for the other i can't hear the difference

Ludo. Next time you're surfing the web have a look for Van Damme Cable. I used it my Surfy Bear project and liked the soft flexible feel and vibrant colours. It is a cable like no other that I've seen before, I had to use a diagram to figure out the correct way to attach it to the plugs. I have no idea about product longevity but I was pleased with cables I made up, zero hum Surfy Bear! It's a British company, apparently used by Abbey Road Studios.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:48:03

I used to work in a music store and ended up with tons of cables. I have three or four with high quality cable and Neutrik plugs that I've used for over 20 years. I can solder, so anything that breaks can be fixed unless it's bad cheap cable. Then it goes in the trash. I'm using shorter cables then I used to so I just got some good cable and good plugs and went to town.

Knowing how to solder is a great skill to have as a guitarist, and making cables is a good way to learn. You can make custom lengths and wire your pedalboard, too.

My bass player has some Fender cables that he likes, but I think he's replaced the plugs at least once. He likes the color.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:48:24

I have been wireless since playing Punk in the 80's, I love the freedom of not being leashed to the amp. At first I had to give up tone, but not anymore wireless systems are so good today.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:48:47

Goto Page: Previous 1 2