Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink An amateur attempts to record...

Page 1 of 1

Hey guys, it took me two days but I just finished my first recording. To be honest, I really have no idea what I am doing. Constructive criticism is more than welcome.

The website is in it's infancy stage and still needs a lot of work. As soon as our other guitar player completes his chemo treatment, we are going to take pictures and videos of us playing and post them to the site. I hope you guys like it!

Driptones.com

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Reverb drippyness, tremolo wobbliness...nice stuff.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Thank you shake_n_stomp, I appreciate the kind words. There is still a ton of room for improvement. Personally, I don't like a lot of reverb while playing/recording tremolo because to me the effect gets lost (reverb on other audio tracks is fine, I am specifically referring to the tremolo guitar track). Having said that, the tremolo track is a little dry to my ears.

Obviously the drums and bass are missing, but I just don't have time to figure out how to add other instruments to the mix right now. I am just going to keep recording the lead, drip, and rhythm parts and hopefully I'll get better with time.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 19:03:47

Keep it up. Recording and layering instruments is satisfying and it is a learning experience. I get a deeper appreciation for how the elements add up to the final result. On those days down the road where nothing seems to be going right, listening back to those recordings can give us a bit of a boost. At least that's how it seems to work for me.

Lorne
Vancouver BC Canada

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 17:17:28

Lots of reverb? Check! Eerie tremolo? Check! For a while I thought you were starting Experiment in Terror, which is a fave of mine. It might be a tad bright, which may be why you're not happy with the mix of reverb and tremolo. I'd say you're off to a nice start. Keep at it, and I'm confident you'll be happy with the results.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 18:13:36

Since when did "knowing what we're doing" impede learning? Smile Keep going. That was a good start. Smile

Yes, keep going! That's a cool intro to the init page on a website btw.
Cool

To my ear the tremelo track you mention being concerned with seems to be losing some of its bottom-end (fullness?) because the rate might be a tad off for the tempo; that is, it's almost like it's behind the beat a bit - during the period when the effect drops the volume it should be at least getting the full value of your chord strum. Just a thought. I record at home also, so WTH do I know? We do it, learn, rinse, repeat.
Laughing

Keep truckin' - it can be really fun stuff. What's your recording setup?

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I am taking notes on all the advice you guys are giving me. shake_n_stomp, always love your feedback. Noel, I agree it is a little bright. Maybe I will turn down the tone knob on the tank and also the treble on the amp a bit. I wanted to use a lot of treble for maximum drip. Wink Badger, what do you recommend I do to correct that issue? I definitely need to work on my timing. I knew I was struggling with it while I was recording. Thanks again for all the comments.

Oops, just noticed Badger asked about my setup. CP Jag with vintage '65 pickups, 12-52 strings, '63 Reverb unit (modified), Shure SM57 mic, '76 Princeton amp, SurfyTrem pedal, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, external USB power supply, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones, and for my DAW I use Mixcraft 8.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017 13:28:49

SixStringSurfer wrote:

I definitely need to work on my timing. I knew I was struggling with it while I was recording. Thanks again for all the comments.

Does your DAW allow you to add a click-track? I find that a great help using Audacity and just delete afterwards.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Badger, what do you recommend I do to correct that issue? I definitely need to work on my timing. I knew I was struggling with it while I was recording. Thanks again for all the comments.

One thing might be to adjust the trem controls to cut back the Intensity a bit so your guitar signal never really fully gets dropped away. And then play with the Rate a bit, maybe slow it down a tad so the full chord itself gets the benefit of a complete swell after you strummed it. The main thing, as you noted, is just to practice over your own drip track till you have it cold; so that you're a tad ahead in starting and the chord's finish is on the beat. If you can't add a click track (good idea Clarry), then that drip part is your click-track. (I have good-natured hate of click-tracks Laughing )

Anyone who's recorded anything has likely been where you are so just keep at it; when you're comfortable with it, anyone could start that drip part and you'd be able to jump in with the chords. Delighted you're on your way.

Also, best wishes to your other guitar player. Yes

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Hey guys, my DAW does have a metronome. Is that the same thing as a click track? To be honest, I don't like using it while playing as it really distracts me. However, I may just have to suck it up and turn it on as I am sure it will help out with my timing issues.

Badger, you are spot on about the tremolo being too intense. I am using the SurfyTrem pedal, and I noticed the Brownface tremolo doesn't get as intense as the blackface. That is the reason I turned it all the way to the max on this recording. I will turn the intensity down and also adjust the speed as well. That really makes sense, thanks for clarifying that for me.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Hey guys, my DAW does have a metronome. Is that the same thing as a click track? To be honest, I don't like using it while playing as it really distracts me. However, I may just have to suck it up and turn it on as I am sure it will help out with my timing issues.

yep, using the metronome in your recording software is the same as a click.
Playing to a metronome, drummer, or click for me is preferable because I know that the end results will be tighter...getting everything in the pocket gives the tune more power and polish. Unless your intent is to play something in free time because the finished product is more about that kind of vibe. Just my humble opinion.
edit: playing to a metronome helps musicians of all levels. My rhythm playing keeps improving as I play with clicks, metronomes or (tight) drummers.

Lorne
Vancouver BC Canada

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017 13:48:31

Heavy drip, SixStringSurfer! Sound great.
[Here's a great little tool that converts your taps to BPM, calculating an average, so the end result is very accurate.
Sync that to the tremolo by ear, and then feed your click.
Another method would be to measure the region between the tremolo peaks in your DAW.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017 15:45:03

Ariel wrote:

Heavy drip, SixStringSurfer!
Here's a great little tool that converts your taps to BPM, calculating an average, so the end result is very accurate.
Sync that to the tremolo by ear, and then feed your click.
Another method would be to measure the region between the tremolo peaks in your DAW.

Thumbs Up I use a different one but that's a great idea. I do that when I'm really curious about the actual "book" tempo of a song, and sometimes in this style there are so many things going on faster than a 1/4 note that a song can seem different tempo than it really is.

Wes

Well, it looks like I am going to start using a metronome! Laughing Thanks for the compliment, Ariel. I will check out that tool you posted a link to.

Thumbs up, man!

Kevin
The Out of Limits
www.facebook.com/theoutoflimitsband
https://theoutoflimits.bandcamp.com/

Thank you, ncgalt1984. Smile

Sounds fine to me! Bookmarked.

I think that sounds very good for a first recording, well done!
The critiques and suggestions given so far are insightful and align with any advice I might give but man...keep at it.
You're much more on track (no pun intended)than most people's first attempts.
Great job.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Page 1 of 1