Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Ventures Vinyl of the Month

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

If you find these "Ventures Vinyl" posts worthwhile, or you simply enjoy them, please post. Otherwise Bob and I may procrastinate on adding reviews.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

I enjoy reading these, please don't give up on us. I'm betting others read them without responding. The silent ones

Happy Sunsets!

I enjoy them, too. I got hooked on The Ventures in Space when I was 10. Loved the songs, loved the cover, even built a model of a T-Bucket Roadster as shown on the cover. Still enjoyning them 50 years later.

Eric B. Johnson
Bass - Link

Squid wrote:

If you find these "Ventures Vinyl" posts worthwhile, or you simply enjoy them, please post. Otherwise Bob and I may procrastinate on adding reviews.

I very much enjoy these posts. I always read them and have intended to comment but usually others beat me in saying what I would have said.

I was a young teenager when I bought my first Ventures LP. (the original "Walk Don't Run" record). At the time I lived in a tiny town in South Dakota and finding Ventures records was not easy but we had a Ben Franklin "dime store" near us that carried records and I went there every chance I got looking for a new Ventures release. I bought whatever I could find as soon as I saw it. The "Surfing" album was my favorite and probably got the most play time but I played them all over and over. I still have several of those records that I found back then and have since added a few that I find in a used record stores that I never had back in those days.

These posts bring back fond memories of those early years that influenced me to become a guitar player. I solely credit The Ventures for sparking the desire to learn to play. Anyone remember the "Play Guitar with The Ventures" albums? I had one of them and mightily struggled to learn from it. Can't say I was immensely successful but it was a start.

When YouTube came along I got my first look at the actual Ventures in performance. Up until then I had only heard them on vinyl. I sadly never had the opportunity to see the original guys play anywhere in person.

So by all means, keep the reviews and discussions going. I'll make more of an attempt to comment on future posts and hopefully other lurkers will chime in. And, as Bob Hope used to say "thanks for the memories".

I understand, with about 2,050 views but only about 50 comments, how you feel.

Happy Sunsets!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 13:33:57

Thank You for commenting!!

Tahiti Jack: Now if you subtract my posts from the total...

Rob J--The method in "Play Guitar with the Ventures" hardly compares with Youtube instruction, but it's fun to see the album.

Here is a song of mine in the style of The Ventures' Surfing album (Somebody I don't know posted it to Youtube).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017 11:57:15

I'm not sure Sha La La was The Searchers, but Manfred Mann.

I like reading these too.

Rob_J wrote:

. Anyone remember the "Play Guitar with The Ventures" albums? I had one of them and mightily struggled to learn from it. Can't say I was immensely successful but it was a start.>

Here ya go. My parents were big into lp music in 50s-60s. I pretty much inherited a very sizable lp collection mostly C&W that my parents liked. The Ventures were one so called "rock" band that my Dad tolerated and liked very much so as a result I have a sizable Ventures collection from that period. Since my Dad knew I like the Ventures as much as he did and he was paying for my guitar lessons at the time, he self servingly bought me the play Like the Ventures albums so that if I was going to play that long hair communist rock music it would be something he liked. All the Venture albums were very inspirational in my formative years of learning guitar.

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

Last edited: Jul 03, 2017 22:14:50

Wondering what songs were in volume one. Great marketing words like "easy to follow diagrams".

Happy Sunsets!

I have Vol 1 around here somewhere. I know Walk Dont Run was on it but cant remember the others.

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

Volume 1 = Walk Don't Run, Raunchy, Tequila, Memphis
Vol. 2 = Pipeline, Wipeout, Out of Limits, Let's Go
Vol. 3 = A Taste of Honey, Diamond Head, Secret Agent Man, No Matter What Shape
Play Electric Bass = La Bamba, I Hear a Symphony, A Lover's Concerto, Red River Valley, Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, Shot Gun

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3