Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink RIP Adam West

Page 1 of 1

RIP, Adam West. For me the only'real'Batman. The theme from the TV series has been played nu many many surf bands because of its coolness and catchyness. It's been in our setlist for awhile also.

Good memories of the show when they aired again in the late 80's because of the upcoming Batman movie. Nostalgia a go go..

Cheers,
Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

^^^^^ I agree.

My musings -
The guy could act. He was in a TV series prior to Batman with Robert Taylor called "the Detectives". West was the young one in Taylor's crew.

Link Wray's version of the 'Batman' theme was a cool tune to play.
West deserved his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

In contrast to LosVenturas, Adam West was the lone/non-real Batman IMHO. Even the actors in the 1943 and 1949 serials had a bit (and only a bit) more realism. The recent movies gave the character his real darker edge - like the comics and more in line with the 'psychosis' that lifelong revenge for witnessing parents murdered in front of you could bring. I lost interest in the show after a few episodes with all the campy idiotic dialogue. Must have been tough saying all that fluff with a straight face. It was a dumb cartoon with actors. Caesar Romero, as the Joker (with mustache buried under makeup)was just plain stupid.

I did watch the episode that had the Green Hornet. Even then, it looked like Burt Ward was going to soil his green underwear fighting Bruce Lee. I later read that was exactly the case.

I saw Adam West at a high end Vintage Guitar Show. Someone brought a replica cowl from the show but he would not wear it - which made him look
a bit conflicted to me.

Age 88 is a good run.. Sleep well, Adam West.
J Mo'

He was very conflicted. While Batman paid the bills, he was never offered the opportunity to do more in feature films. They put him in a box and closed the lid.

Happy Sunsets!

I'd like to see Affleck or any of the others move like this!

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Batman was the best tv show ever. I had just turned 9 when the Caped Crusader made his debut so I was the perfect age to watch. For me, a lot of tv was either boring or stupid. This wasn't boring and it totally ignored the part about being stupid. I mean 90% of the time the Dynamic Duo would be subdued by a cane, an umbrella or a boutonniere spraying them right in the face with some colored toxic gas. (it was years later that I found out the gases were colored as we had the standard B&W TV set)

And then it would be off to a vat of acid or some cardboard chopping device.

Cool criminals, chicks in mini-skirts, absurd action scenes and the ubiquitous POW! SPLAT! KU-RUNCH! Sooo much better than that stupid Lost in Space which happened to be in the same time slot as the 1st of the 2-part weekly BATMAN cliffhangers and which MY BROTHERS who were older than me and therefore had ULTIMATE CONTROL over what show we watched DECLARED 'We're not watching that stupid show' so there I was STRANDED on an unknown planet with Don and Will and Penny (sigh) and The Robot and that sniveling FIEND Dr. Zachary Smith for a full hour only to finally catch the 2nd part of BATMAN the following night. And there they were, trapped in a giant sno-cone or slowly sinking into a sea of lemon-lime jello.

Yeah, it was simple times. Batman made everything better.

Da Vinci Flinglestein,
The quest for the Tone, the tone of the Quest

The Syndicate of Surf on YouTube

http://www.syndicateofsurf.com/

http://sharawaji.com/

http://surfrockradio.com/

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017 07:05:09

For those who are into reading.. I quite enjoyed Adam & Jeff Rovin's 'Back to the Batcave' book. Some bio, trivia about the show..

Cheers,
Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

Ah, it meant the world to me as a kid. We believed it too so they got something right. And now we look back on it with a knowing grin.
Of course he was the real Batman. He knew it was dumb to wear a cape, cloak and knickers and tights if you were gonna fight. The Dark Knight chap and his contemporaries don't seem to get that and I'll thats maybe why they're so miserable

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017 01:16:11

If one looks at the origins of the oldest super heroes, most had capes, boots, and tights with contrasting underwear - e.g. Superman, Batman, Martian Manhunter, etc. I also believe professional boxers fight in the functional equivalent of underwear - last I saw. So that kinda blasts the "fighting in costume" faux theory.
I don't get the "miserable" label connection with observations/opinions on what was a really a dumb TV show - but then again, I'm not a professional or amateur "shrink". Maybe that observation was made in "costume" - so to speak?
J Mo'

He was Batman back when comic books were comic books, not "graphic novels". Adam West nailed it- I can't watch any of the newer incarnations (except perhaps Michael Keaton) without rolling my eyes at all the serious self important "mythology" they drag along. To me Batman was a comic book first and always, and that's the way i like it. Smile

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Page 1 of 1