Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Double / Tremolo Picking String Changing Question - To Alternate or Sweep?

Page 1 of 1

I am a pretty strict alternate picker. When changing strings, should I generally sweep when possible? It seems like it would be more efficient but also more awkward rhythmically at times.

Is this a technique I should be practicing along with my endless tremolo picking practice? Cool

Thanks!

Jonathan the Reverbivore

The Reverbivores

Please check out our latest album The Reverbivores Watch TV!

www.thereverbivores.com
Facebook
YouTube

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017 15:02:34

You need to do what is best for your vision of the song you are writing or for how you want your technique to appear in your guitar playing. There is no right or wrong.

Traditionally, double picking is held firmly when alternating strings or skipping strings. Double and sweep will produce two very different results.

Like Jake said, keep working on the song and you'll find your own way to robot. Either through technique or phrasing.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Thanks, guys! That's sort of what I thought (and hoped)!

Jonathan the Reverbivore

The Reverbivores

www.thereverbivores.com
Facebook
YouTube

Sweeping when changing strings (also called economy picking) is a good habit to develop if you want relaxed, efficient picking in general. You can get crazy fast and fluid with minimal effort.

Trouble is, IMO it can sound too smooth and toothless for something like surf. I agree with these guys, unless you're straining or fumbling, keep on with what sounds good to you and what works for the music.

Economy picking! That's what I meant!

I was indeed fumbling with part of one of my tremolo picky solos and economy picking seems the way to go. I've never tried it before and it feels weird of course, but even after practicing for 30 minutes, it's clear the investment will pay dividends in multiple contexts.

Thanks!

Jonathan the Reverbivore

The Reverbivores

www.thereverbivores.com
Facebook
YouTube

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017 23:11:54

This is an economy-picked "tremolo picking" cheat I adapted from Sonic Youth but could apply to any music:

Play unison notes on two adjacent strings and rapidly economy pick between them.

For example, fret an e at the 12th fret of the high e string with your index finger, and fret the same e pitch on the 17th fret of the b string with your little or ring finger. Then pick using this down and up (or up and down) stroke pattern:

e string - down - up - down - up - etc.
b string -- down
up - down ----- up - down -- etc.

Or reverse the sequence and begin with the up stroke. You can double your notes with half the effort. You might have to consciously slow down!

You can also slightly bend one or both notes in an out of unison pitch to create a warbly effect. Any adjacent unison notes on the neck will work, all have different timbres. Try one open string and one fretted. The only limit is how much stretch you have between fingers.

Have fun!

edit: the post garbles the notation format but the picking sequence is simply picking each string with the same stroke you used to exit the previous string, back and forth in a circular back/forth up/down pattern.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017 11:13:53

That's really fascinating! Thank you, methinks! I'm going to practice this!!!

Jonathan the Reverbivore

The Reverbivores

www.thereverbivores.com
Facebook
YouTube

Page 1 of 1