Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
113 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
22 hours ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
22 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender tones in a modelling amp

Page 1 of 1

I’ve been messing with my Vox Valvetronix modelling amp to get a clean sound in its “Showman” setting.

I use the old “turn away from the amp and twiddle the EQ knobs until you hear it/visualise it break through an invisible surface” method of setting up the Treble, Mid and Bass. Treble and Bass break through about 1 o’clock, but the Mid has to be right round the clock at about 4-5 o’clock to wake-up in my ears and imagination. It does sound very clean at these settings, but I was wondering why the Mid is so dull and almost useless when dialled off. Is this how the Showman worked? Is this what is known as scooped-mids?

There’s also modelling for a 57 Twin, 59 Bassman and Blackface Twin. I shall enjoy playing around with these too. It’s a bit daft, but I’ve had this 4 years and only really bothered with the Vox settings before.

You're overthinking it Clarry. It's just a setting on a modeler, they can call it whatever they want, it's never going to sound like a showman. I say turn away from the names of the tones and just listen for ones you like.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Very true. I'm kind of going through the less "noisy" settings and trying to get clean settings on each and see what they sound like.

I'm lining up to buy a new "straight" amp after the summer and ditch this one. We can discuss in Livorno!

Let's try to get you on Lorenzo's Quilter Pro Block when we're together. They sound great and take up very little space.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

That would be great. I was actually looking at a 101 and a cabinet as an option.

Page 1 of 1