Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink A first! They didn't ask, "Oh, like Dick Dale?" ha-ha!

Page 1 of 1

Like, I am assuming absolutely everyone here who has received this line of questioning:
"So, what kind of music do you play?",
"Instrumental surf music."
"Oh, like Dick Dale?"
...Ellie got a first.

Ellie just sent a text saying I would not believe it... At FSU, she was just talking to some new musician friends who found out she plays bass and keys. But, the always inevitable question to her answer "instrumental surf" was this ... "Oh, like The Intoxicators?" ha-ha! She said she was already starting to answer, "No, more untra..." when she stopped mid-sentence and laughed... Our friends, the awesome The Intoxicators have been playing Tally much lately... to great effect among the nubiles. That was a first.

Bill

Shoot the Pier on Bandcamp
Shoot the Pier on Reverb Nation
Shoot The Pier on Facebook
We are on Instagram under "@shootthepiersurfband"

My Country EP ... Florida Dirt Fire
https://floridadirtfire.bandcamp.com/album/florida-dirt-fire

My French Love Songs ... I really needed a change...
www.lonelyrose.bandcamp.com

Last edited: May 16, 2017 14:18:39

That's awesome!
Great band, good guys!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Wow! That surely caught everybody by surprise. Smile

I wish i get the same answer when people asking that kind of question

Umar
The Mentawais
The Rentones

Last edited: May 17, 2017 04:39:54

Amazing! I hope Ellie has time to form a surf band at school.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

For the Royal Aces: We literally were asked that Dick Dale question at our gig last night...

Say yes, like the accordion player.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Every time I mention surf music, the most frequent thing I hear is, "I love The Beach Boys!" followed a distant second by, "You mean like The Ventures?"

Well at least it wasn't "like the Beach Boys?"

Noel wrote:

Every time I mention surf music, the most frequent thing I hear is, "I love The Beach Boys!" followed a distant second by, "You mean like The Ventures?"

+1 I treat it as an opportunity to expand their fences (although that usually ends up with a reference they can grok of Pulp Fiction).
Laughing

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

Noel wrote:

+1 I treat it as an opportunity to expand their fences (although that usually ends up with a reference they can grok of Pulp Fiction).
Laughing

Yeah, I've done that. Then I hear, "Oh, you mean that Black Eyed Peas song?" Oy-vey!!! Picard Face Palm

Last edited: May 18, 2017 07:21:14

Just last week, I got the puzzled look and "Like the Beach Boys and Jan and Dean?" Next guy I run into that says they play metal I'll respond with "Like Bon Jovi? "

Surf_Skater wrote:

Just last week, I got the puzzled look and "Like the Beach Boys and Jan and Dean?" Next guy I run into that says they play metal I'll respond with "Like Bon Jovi? "

So after one of these conversations, I played "As the Dark Wave Swells" as an example, and was told it sounds like The Beach Boys but without words. The woman didn't know from anything after Good Vibrations, and she was not kidding! Sigh...

Page 1 of 1