Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink I need help tremelo picking

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I need some tips on how to improve my tremolo picking. I really like Dick Dale, and I want to learn to play some of his music but I cannot pick fast enough or consistent enough. Did any of you have trouble tremolo picking when you first started? How did you overcomb the challenge?

Thank you!

Well, for starters, try slowing down, and if you have a metronome get it out, and make it your friend.

Even though you may have a particular pick you've grown accustomed to, you may wish to experiment with different picks.(Then again, maybe not.) I'll use different picks for different guitars, string gauges, and styles of music. I also dab a little Sort Kwik ( The stuff bank tellers use to get a better hold on dollar bills) on my thumb and index finger. That way, I can get a better grip on my pick, without having to hold it as tightly in my hand. It helps to lessen cramping.

Practice playing string of notes on the same string, then different strings. Practice playing the notes as evenly as you can, as well as accenting notes.

IvanP plays Dick Dale as well as anyone around here, and I'm sure he'll be the first to tell you he started out playing slowly. He didn't get that fast overnight. He's posted clips playing a few different DD songs. Check out his 'Hava Nagila' clip. Yikes! (Be prepared to get depressed! Lol!)

I'm sure others will weigh with some good advice, as well.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Last edited: May 14, 2017 22:07:03

The metronome is your best friend. Start slow, once you master one tempo bump it up. Give yourself a few months and it'll all click. There's tons of tips here on the site, just start searching and you'll learn all you need. Good luck!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I find that thin strings and thin picks/plectrums make tremolo picking more difficult. There are songs with short bursts of tremolo picking vs throughout the entire song. Those are nicer to start out with and then build-up with improving speed, consistency. It takes stamina.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

There is definitely a learning curve, especially as I started learning to double pick when I was still a beginner.

I used a very light nylon pick when I first started. You don't get a lot of thump from the pick, but the pick recovers nicely and allows for a steady rhythm.

The key to double-picking is playing in time. So as has been mentioned above, get a metronome/something to keep the beat. I used to pick as fast as I could, which got a result but wasn't the best result. Pick a melody you know well, mine was When the Saints go Marching In, and just double pick that simple melody. For me, When the Saints was on multiple strings to practice that added aspect.

You can double pick well with light strings, you can double pick well with heavy strings, you can double pick well with light picks, you can double pick well with heavy picks, you can double pick really well with triangle picks.

Start with a thin pic. I started with a Dunlop .60 Maxgrip. I had been using a .73 after that but recently went back to .60. Less fatigue, faster and won't ring adjacent strings as hard if you are a little sloppy. Use a drum beat or metronome. I like a good programmed drum beat for practice because it sounds like you are making music and takes your mind off any fatigue you might feel. Build staccato into the cadence with some accents.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Good topic; I just took myself 'back to basics' for the purpose of honing the gliss in Pipeline. So, as others have said, start slower and get a metronome - COUNT it; really, honest, no kidding, there's a count. (It's also an example of what happens if you don't, because starting at point A on time is important to being at point B to resume the drippy beat.)

I've found trying to practice really energetic double-picking sitting is like trying to do hand-to-hand combat in a phone booth, so I stand & make sure the guitar hangs in a comfortable position. (But I'm really lanky, your mileage may vary.)

Don't forget to breathe. Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

In addition of all of the good advice above, I personally find two things helpful (YMMV): 1.) I like to make sure I'm using the smallest area of the tip I can get away with (with most of the pick tucked up under the thumb and forefinger), and 2.) I turn the pick so that it's attacking the strings somewhere between a 45- and 90-degree angle. This approach seems to cut friction (which I find allows for faster double picking) without sacrificing "oomph."

i find a technic for tremolo picking when is not too fast or not need to push hard on string ,to help the wirst to stay relax and give endurance
i made circle with the pick not only up and down
i use it often cause the picking became really cool and all the note sound at the same level without too much thinking about

i play with 1 mm pick and the way they are eat by strings Shock i have never try with less thick ,something to try

Last edited: May 15, 2017 11:08:15

New member here. I know this is an older thread, but I found this guy's video really helpful and thought I'd point it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XPezIRYnpA

It's a 16-minute video, but the basic idea can be explained in about 10 seconds. He gets to the meat of it at 3:48 to 5:20.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

I need help tremelo picking

Play DEATH.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017 02:04:31

Ariel wrote:

Play DEATH.

1000X YES

Ariel wrote:

Play DEATH.

Worked for me when I started playing guitar!

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Building up the endurance is the same as any sport. You must get oxygen to the muscles. When practicing on my own I tend to pick up the guitar and trem pick hard for as long as I can go without a break then stop when I feel the burn. I'll shake out my arm and do a few elbow bends to pump blood into my arm. I'll practice other stuff then come back to trem picking in time. I'd love to at some point open shows with a blistering attack of trem picking just to freak out the audience but I always work the heavy trem picking into the set so I am good and warmed up. Also get as much wrist action as possible. The wrist allows for speed and diminishes fatigue.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017 11:44:15

ldk wrote:

New member here. I know this is an older thread, but I found this guy's video really helpful and thought I'd point it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XPezIRYnpA

It's a 16-minute video, but the basic idea can be explained in about 10 seconds. He gets to the meat of it at 3:48 to 5:20.

Yeah, this guy makes some very apt points. 1.) Let the pick fall through the strings 2.) a little movement away from the strings as possible.

I wrote above, but will reiterate again... PLAY IN TIME. I used to wail away trying to do it as fast as I could, but if you just do it in time it is so much easier. There is no elbow involved, I used to involve elbow. There isn't a lot of wrist involved either. It's really rotating your forearm.

JakeDobner wrote:

I wrote above, but will reiterate again... PLAY IN TIME. I used to wail away trying to do it as fast as I could, but if you just do it in time it is so much easier.

I've continued to find this excellent advice. Mostly because, for me, it is less about sustained marathons but enables a habit that yields the melodic on-demand triplet. Seriously.

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I'm also a fan of doing "interval training:" if you think of the tremolo as 16th notes, do 4 beats of 16ths, then 4 beats of 8ths to rest. you can increase the ratio of fast to slow (8 or 12 or 16 beats of 16th to 4 beats of 8ths) or speed up the metronome. I do that kind of thing for any technique or passage that is hard to play fast because of my technical failings. works well, I think.

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

It definitely took me several months to be able to double pick effectively, I remember hours of sitting on my bed in a college dorm trying over and over to get 'Misirlou' right! Doublepicking definitely uses lots of different muscles in your wrist and up through the arm, but persistence pays off and you'll get it! I had a hard time with a heavy pick, although i know lots of people who use one, I always did better with unbreakable/flexible nylon Jim Dunlop picks, the grey ones, either .73 or even .60...Heavier strings sound better with reverb.Good luck and keep it up, Insect Surfer Dave

As this topic comes up from time to time I did a little exercise in some software that someone can printout & do that "Insect Dave sitting on the edge of the bed practice" thing (BTDT, lol). I'm still getting used to the software so apologize for any software-induced rests that show up that aren't quite right. I've always respected that ability to toss 3 rapid fire notes into a regular melody line. Go slow & don't forget to breathe.

Wes

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 11:56:44

Goto Page: 1 2 Next