Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Jaguar '60's Lacquer On the Way!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

I appreciate the pictures, Pablomago! That is one beautiful Jaguar and that's the model I have my eye on after getting bit (late in life) by the Jaguar bug last year, via my modest Squier VM Jag.

I look forward to seeing how different a Lacquer Jaguar would feel with its vintage frets & neck radius... and hearing how the pickups compare. I'm imagining it will be even cooler in my small hands than the already-cool Squier, with its modern neck radius & frets.

I love the traditional switching arrangement and would keep mine stock, except for possibly adding a mint guard, which would appear to work out swimmingly on Fiesta Red.

The red looks perfect, and ferocious. It's much redder than the Fiesta Red of my pinkish/orangish Road Worn Precision Bass, which admittedly takes on a different character under different light sources. I don't mind a shade that changes moods, but it looks like your Jaguar is a much bolder color... it's beautiful.

I want to see that guitar's color in the warm California sun - but Florida sun would have to do.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 08:52:40

Got the Jaguar back from the tech. I had .012 gauge flatwounds put on and the Staytrem arm and collet installed. The bad news is it's going back to him tomorrow as the A,D and G strings are fretting out above the 12th fret, so it needs a little more tweaking to get right. The Staytrem is nice and tight with no flopping around when you use the trem.

I'm a little upset that it has to go back, but he lives less then a mile away and he does do good work, I think he just rushed it a bit. He also fixed the fret sprout on my G&L ASAT Tribute Deluxe Carvetop and didn't charge me since he'd worked on it before. I think I need a humidifier around that guitar for a while.

Anyway, I'll give a full report in a few days once everything is tuned to perfection.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

Good luck with the 12's. (Although I'm not trackin' how you could go from 10's to 12's and get the guitar back with a hump like that. I go through large humidity swings here but nothing that would cause that.)

Am in the midst of the semi-annual climate chase here since I'm at war with the back side of cold fronts, etc. (and it's snowing right now, wth?) I do keep a humidifier in the room and it helps quite a bit. That said, once they're set up, my Jag & JM are pretty stable happy campers. (The Strat is the needful little emotional princess in the room.) Heat in the winter & AC in the deep summer breeds the conflict. I happened to notice the temp/humidity gauges one day all over my local shop's huge interior & took the hint. I target 69-71° and 41-45% humidity; but that's not gigging - all bets are off in the real world.
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

The 12's with the short scale don't feel too heavy. No they don't feel like slinkies, but the whole purpose of this guitar is to run heavier flatwounds and use the trem for bends. I'm not playing Albert King licks here. Big Grin I have my Strat for that.

Anyway, more when it gets back from the tech.

BTW, my bass player is looking seriously at the Squire Jazzmaster Baritone. That could be fun to have in the mix.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

It's back, it's fixed! I haven't had a lot of time to put into it as I'm playing a gig tomorrow night in a non-surf band using my G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carvetop. But there's no fretting out or buzzing and the action is great. I'm glad to have it how it should be. Now to go play the frets off!

Beautiful guitar! I would love to hear it played. I have a 60s Lacquer Jazzmaster that has the same neck as your Jag. I really like the 7.25 radius...I'm using pure nickle round wound 12s and it all feels good. I already have too many guitars but your pictures are making me want just one more.ha!

Pablomago wrote:

It's back, it's fixed!

Yay! Truss rod tweak? Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Bridge saddles. He needed to get the radius to match the fingerboard more and get them a little higher.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2