Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink SurfyTrem DIY builds and FAQ's

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 510 11 Next

oh ok, there's your schematic. Smile
thanks Björn

Just got my kit, missed DHL Friday. Should have it back from the local pedal builder, this time, next week! I'll post pics when I do.

Assembled the guts this afternoon, and tested it out. The enclosure should be here by the end of the day, and hopefully, I'll have it drilled and assembled into a working unit tonight!
(It sounded really cool for the 2 minutes I tried it out!)

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017 17:58:17

Anybody know if it is possible to put a tap tempo into the pedal?

I want to buy one of these... but I either need it to integrate into a 6G15 or for it to have tap tempo. I already have a harmonic tremolo pedal with tap tempo which I would love to replace with this, but the tap tempo...

Theoretically you could add a tap feature to the circuit, but it would require a piggyback board and a couple of weeks to design and test the thing. Just use your old pedal mate, the audience won't hear the difference. Smile

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017 03:19:11

Ran the ST into a three amp setup last night using three surfy bear reverbs. Although the brown mode is great I really dig the chop of the black. Running the intensity at about 12 o'clock is really intense!

Next up is plugging one of my little string strats through it into the Marshalls on brown and trying to go Trower. I think it can do it. "too rolling stoned"!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017 04:42:26

stratdancer wrote:

Next up is plugging one of my little string strats through it into the Marshalls on brown and trying to go Trower. I think it can do it. "too rolling stoned"!

"Gimme Shelter"

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Finished for now. I'll paint and label it later. I have an out of town gig (I'm flying, gear is driving) and I needed to send it with the Reverb tank today. I A/B'd it against my 63 Bandmaster trem, and it sounded great!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017 15:13:30

Sonichris wrote:

I A/B'd it against my 63 Bandmaster trem, and it sounded great!

Chris that is a beautifully done assembly inside. 2x Thumbs Up

You did what I did in testing. (I get the sense that some folks expect some really Univibe-spacey thing). Before I snagged one from the first SJSF run I ran over to Dave's & plugged into one of his blonde BM's upstairs to make sure of what I needed to hear. I agree Bjorn's pedal is pretty damned good.

Good luck with the gig! Smile

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

Chris that is a beautifully done assembly inside. 2x Thumbs Up

You don't like my sharpie outsides? Smile

You did what I did in testing. (I get the sense that some folks expect some really Univibe-spacey thing). Before I snagged one from the first SJSF run I ran over to Dave's & plugged into one of his blonde BM's upstairs to make sure of what I needed to hear. I agree Bjorn's pedal is pretty damned good.

It does exactly what I was hoping it would do. Just like the SurfyBear Reverb. I A/B'd my Gomez and my SurfyBear last week with a switch box, and clicked and clicked until I didn't know which one was going when. I honestly couldn't tell a difference.

Up next, a blonde box to match my El Sonido with this control panel.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017 16:58:05

Chris, thats a nice clean build!
Looks very good Smile

bjoish wrote:

Chris, thats a nice clean build!
Looks very good Smile

It's easy when the kit is as nice and well thought out as this one is.

Sonichris wrote:

You don't like my sharpie outsides? Smile

I didn't do anything to my Fuzzrite for a year; no worries. I remember looking over a used Cessna once with a buddy thinking about getting it; immaculate, great maint records, ragged-assed upholstery inside. Owner said, "Yeah, well, I fly the outside."

Up next, a blonde box to match my El Sonido with this control panel.

Oh, hell yeah. Cool

Wes

I can see the minds are at work again. Smile I was planning on installing mine in my "quiet amp" but I have the feeling that I'm going to have to re-engineer the whole top of the unit to use the board as it was designed for the pedal application. I have the new power supply on the way to run both surfy products from the same source so a little redo isn't a big deal. Smile

Sonichris wrote:

It's easy when the kit is as nice and well thought out as this one is.

You are too kind !!
I am glad you like it.
Smile

My trem is packed like sardines inside so no centerfold shots. Who cares what it looks like inside as long as it sounds as good as it does. I do have a bit of cleanup to do inside as it tends to cut out every once in awhile when engaging or disengaging.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Hello all! I have a few questions Im hoping you can help me with, as well as some others in the future.

When incorporating the Surfy trem and the Surfy Bear reverb into one unit, is it okay to run the reverb circuit into the trem circuit by wiring the output of the reverb to the input of the trem board ? Or vice versa if I want to wire up a switch to reverse the order? And would any rebiasing of the trimpots be expected, if so?

Also, to use a single stereo cable to 2 button footswitch, do you just wire board 1 to ring and sleeve and board 2 to tip and sleeve of a stereo jack?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017 11:27:38

birdistheword wrote:

Hello all! I have a few questions Im hoping you can help me with, as well as some others in the future.

When incorporating the Surfy trem and the Surfy Bear reverb into one unit, is it okay to run the reverb circuit into the trem circuit by wiring the output of the reverb to the input of the trem board ? Or vice versa if I want to wire up a switch to reverse the order? And would any rebiasing of the trimpots be expected, if so?

Yes, you can run the output of one directly into the input of the other. You'll have to see which order you prefer, but the consensus is the trem goes after the reverb. A switch would be a good idea if you don't want to choose. No rebiasing is needed.

Also, to use a single stereo cable to 2 button footswitch, do you just wire board 1 to ring and sleeve and board 2 to tip and sleeve of a stereo jack?

Yes. This method is the easiest. Both switches of the Trem and the Bear short to ground so you only need 3 wires to operate them. Take a piece of quality cord to prevent any noise entering the circuit.

Gilette wrote:

Yes, you can run the output of one directly into the input of the other. You'll have to see which order you prefer, but the consensus is the trem goes after the reverb. A switch would be a good idea if you don't want to choose. No rebiasing is needed.

Yes. This method is the easiest. Both switches of the Trem and the Bear short to ground so you only need 3 wires to operate them. Take a piece of quality cord to prevent any noise entering the circuit.

Awesome. Thank you very much! Now I just need the Surfy Bear to become available again

Very Excited to wait for my Surfy Trem DIY kit to arrive. Found a 1590BB painted hammond clone enclosure for 30 cents more than a plain one.They also have white cupcake knobs for cheap! Here is a link!
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/chassis-box-diecast-aluminum-colored
They do ship to Europe. They are in Arizona USA.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017 10:13:00

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 510 11 Next