Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink SurfyTrem DIY builds and FAQ's

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 510 11 Next

With the announcement of SurfyBears new tremolo DIY kits, I think we need a place to discuss and show them off!

I ordered two kits, one to build into a traditional pedal configuration, and another to build a reverb/tremolo combo.

I'm going to focus on the tradition pedal first. Here's what it looks like I need to get in addition to the kit:
1. Enclosure
2. 9-12v power source
3. Foot switch
4. Knobs

According to the instructions, it looks like the power source center pin is positive?
http://www.surfyindustries.com/download/SurfyIndustries-SurfyTrem_Kit-UserGuide.pdf

I'm looking forward to building this and giving it a try!

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Apr 06, 2017 09:21:25

I love my bear so much had to buy the trem Pedal
Thanks Guys for all you do!

You might want to buy a housing which is a bit larger than the average stompbox to fit the DIY trem. I think the Hammond 1590BB box will give you enough space to work with.

The powersupply SurfyIndustries sells is 12 volt with plus at the center.

Last edited: Apr 03, 2017 11:57:22

The only thing I didn't notice before I bought was if there was an LED option that pulses with the rate. It could very well be there, but I was real giddy and just fast forwarded to the buying part. I figure the details will sort themselves out later.

I wonder if the 1-Spot adapter chain I use on my board will work plus if the led indicator is included in the kit. I'm ready to order. Maybe Bjorn or Lorenzo will chime in.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

I just ordered a kit to go in my fet-verb quiet amp. I'll update as soon as I can. Smile

Just ordered two Trem kits! I have the pedal from the first run and it sounds really beautiful.

Last edited: Apr 04, 2017 13:45:18

Electrical better knowers than I, what are the chances of integrating this into a Gomez G-Spring? I don't want to lug around 9v adapter, I want this to share its power with the G-Spring.

Ditto that. I just bought three reverbs and a trem and I would like to combine reverb and trem into a single enclosure with their knobs and buttons arranged all nice and pretty in close proximity. I reckon it can't be that hard to bring power from one input lug over to the other. I wonder if the mA requirements simply stack?

I guess this isn't the same task as integrating with a Gomez but it does share the characteristic of needing expert advice...

Last edited: Apr 04, 2017 03:08:43

Redfeather wrote:

Ditto that. I just bought three reverbs and a trem and I would like to combine reverb and trem into a single enclosure with their knobs and buttons arranged all nice and pretty in close proximity. I reckon it can't be that hard to bring power from one input lug over to the other. I wonder if the mA requirements simple stack?

I guess this isn't the same task as integrating with a Gomez but it does share the characteristic of needing expert advice...

The circuits can join a single power supply. The Surfy Bear use about 6 watts and the Trem not more than a few milliwatts, so you can get by with a 12 Volt/ 1 Amp supply.

The voltages in the Gomez are either to low (6v alternating), or to high (300v) to be of any use for the SurfyTrem. So you'll need a wallwart or run it with a 9 volt battery.

JakeDobner wrote:

Electrical better knowers than I, what are the chances of integrating this into a Gomez G-Spring? I don't want to lug around 9v adapter, I want this to share its power with the G-Spring.

There's physically room inside the gspring, but you will have a walwart type cord also to plug in. The power supple for the Gomez is AC, this is not.

Last edited: Apr 04, 2017 03:08:23

Just ordered! The kit said something about a sticker. Anyone know what that is about?

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

stratdancer wrote:

Just ordered! The kit said something about a sticker. Anyone know what that is about?

Sticker that goes on the enclosure you select? (which you apply after finishing aesthetics of the enclosure & then give a wipe of Kyrlon Crystal Clear or something).

I would second the recommendation above for, perhaps, a slightly larger enclosure than the original Surfy Trem from the festival special, maybe a 125B or something similar. The assembled original is lovely, but it would've been pretty tight in their for my neanderthal mitts.

Great thread idea Chris!

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Last edited: Apr 04, 2017 06:52:59

Sorry for the late reply!
Me and Lorenzo have busy days Smile

• LED. Yes, a LED that pulse with the tremolo rate is included.

• Supply voltage is 9-12V dc. As usual, be careful with the polarity of the supply voltage. Measure before connecting supply voltage!! The board is protected but if the power supply is too powerful bad things can happen.

• Power supply polarity. Keep in mind that 9V power supplies (for pedals) are 'center negative'. 12V power supplies are normally 'center positive'.

Here is a link to the FAQ: http://www.surfyindustries.com/faq
SurfyTrem is at the bottom of that page.

Please let me know if something is missing in the FAQ!!!

Last edited: Apr 04, 2017 07:31:09

I'm interested in building the Trem kit, but I have a couple questions. From the pictures on Surfy Industries, The PCB layout for the trem kit appears to be different from the Surfy Trem pedal. The LED is in between the pots as opposed to above the footswitch on the Surfy Trem and it looks like the kit PCB is wider. It looks to be optimized for mounting in a chassis with the Surfy Bear Reverb.

I'd like to house the kit in say a 1590bb enclosure and use it as a pedal. I could buy a nice powder coated enclosure from Pedal Parts Plus. I've had good enclosures from them before. Would any of our craftier members possibly be able to come up with a printable drilling template for an enclosure after they get their kit? That would be swell! I can solder and drill, but I've tried to make drilling templates before and I can't wrap my head around it. I always screw something up.

Last edited: Apr 04, 2017 13:44:40

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

dripdripFL wrote:

I'm interested in building the Trem kit, but I have a couple questions. From the pictures on Surfy Industries, The PCB layout for the trem kit appears to be different from the Surfy Trem pedal. The LED is in between the pots as opposed to above the footswitch on the Surfy Trem and it looks like the kit PCB is wider. It looks to be optimized for mounting in a chassis with the Surfy Bear Reverb.

The tremolo board is the perfect companion for a SurfyBear reverb, but you can of course build it into a pedal enclosure if you prefer that. I think you will need to experiment to find a suitable size.

My first idea was to sell the same board as DIY as I used in the pedal. Unfortunately the pedal board is very tight and difficult to use for many DIYers. So I decided to make a DIY board that is easy to use in many applications instead.

dripdripFL wrote:

I'd like to house the kit in say a 1590bb enclosure and use it as a pedal. I could buy a nice powder coated enclosure from Pedal Parts Plus. I've had good enclosures from them before. Would any of our craftier members possibly be able to come up with a printable drilling template for an enclosure after they get their kit? That would be swell! I can solder and drill, but I've tried to make drilling templates before and I can't wrap my head around it. I always screw something up.

I just uploaded a drill pattern for the 1590BB enclosure. Brian has to approve the upload first, so have a little patience... I'll get back to you.

Last edited: Apr 05, 2017 04:42:49

What are the dimensions of the kit PCB board?

About 50 mm x 70 mm, give or take a few mm. I can't check right now...

Last edited: Apr 05, 2017 05:11:05

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 510 11 Next