Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Practice Space

Page 1 of 1

A long time in a backyard far away Reverb Galaxy used to practice in the Surf Shack, an unheated , sometimes sweltering 2 car garage in the back of my property. It was our rustic, surfy Honey Comb Hideout. Recently I came across a picture of the old Surf Shack fridge and it bought many fond memories. Anyone else have icons, or tales of their practice spaces?

Nice.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017 14:58:23

When I was in college in Arcata in the 80s I played in a de facto avant-garde four-piece called Beatrice, after both Dante's muse and the largest black-owned food conglomerate of the 1980s ("We're Beatrice, you've known us all along"). We rented a 10"x10"x10" storage space in our college town, sharing it with two other bands as our low-rent "lockout". I think the rent for each musician came to about $4/mo. As the only conventional musician and responsible adult in the band, I used have to cover my bandmate's rent as he often just couldn't get it together to have $4 at the beginning of the month. I also used to arrive early to tune his guitar or even change its strings. We found rolls of used office carpet and draped the walls with the smelly stuff to "soundproof" the space. I used to use my skateboard as a dolly to transport my Mesa Boogie amp across town. The band eventually fired me for reasons of personal incompatibility and promptly fell apart.

Squink Out!

Page 1 of 1