Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink NEW El Supernaut album: "Gorilla Figher"

Page 1 of 1

El Supernaut wrote on Facebook:

Attenzione everyone in Europe and in America! LunatTone proudly presents: El Supernaut -Gorilla Fighter. The album full of surfing and rocking guitar instrumentals. Interested? Wanna order it? Please send us private message for details. https://www.facebook.com/El-Supernaut-142304185782355/

I had the honor of writing brief liner notes for this brand new release by one of my very favorite current surf bands, El Supernaut from Finland! HIGHLY recommended - as are their first two albums, "Viva!" and "Play Half Dead"! FANTASTIC stuff!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Cool, I'll have to get it posthaste and forthwith!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Man, I can't wait to hear this!

"Viva!" is awesome!

-John

The Seatopians 2017-
The Seatopians on bandcamp

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017 13:40:06

Thank you!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Please let me STRONGLY recommend El Supernaut to anybody that is not familiar with them! If you've ever had the fortune to see Laika & the Cosmonauts live, you may have noticed their simply explosive live energy combined at the same time with great deal of melody. Well, that's what El Supernaut are all about - highly energetic AND melodic Euro-flavored surf music. Whereas L&tC have the cheesy-organ/'60s-film influence, El Supernaut instead bring in the '70s/'80s hard-rock/metal/hardcore influence. In addition, the lead guitarist Sami Paananen is IMHO one of the very best current surf guitarists out there - he plays with the fire and feel that is quite rare! I really can't say enough good things about these guys, I just love 'em! And it's a shame that they're not very well-known in the surf music community, I believe mostly due to only playing in their native Finland.

You can hear their debut album "Viva!" for free on Spotify - check it out: https://open.spotify.com/artist/4w6krUT7YDUfMQvSlfjUK7

(I should mention that Sami was the lead guitarist for another fantastic Finnish surf band, the Lunatics. Also incredible stuff, though more trad and jazzy, less 'rawk' than El Supernaut.)

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Where can you purchase the CD? They have had the Viva CD (which is killer) on Spotify for quite some time. I would love to have some new El-Supernaut material to listen to.

Steve, I believe Sami of El Supernaut is now working with Sean Berry to make the new CD available for sale in the US through Double Crown. If you don't want to wait, notice that the original post above asks for people to send them a private FB message to get the album.

BTW, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend El Supernaut's second album, "Play Half Dead", as well! Freakin' killer! About one third of the tracks are Dead Kennedys covers, and they work unbelievably well as surf instrumentals!! The originals are fantastic, too. I'd be hard-pressed to decide between the first two albums which one I prefer. And I'm currently letting the new one grow on me. It's a bit less 'speed-and-energy', and more melody, subtlety and texture. I really like it so far! An important step forward for the band.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Good news - we have the disc in stock now. If you order $25 or more worth of stuff, basically this CD plus one other from our site, you can get 25% off with promo code: WINTER25

http://www.doublecrownrecords.com/el-supernaut-gorilla-fighter-cd/

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Great news thanks Ivan & Sean.

I heard it on Spotify. What I heard was bluesy.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Squid wrote:

I heard it on Spotify. What I heard was bluesy.

They cover several hard-rock/metal songs that when done instrumentally sound pretty bluesy, in particular Whitesnake's "Fool For Your Loving" and Rainbow's "Vielleicht Das Nächste Mal (Maybe Next Time)". Their originals in general are not very bluesy, though they do have a few moments here and there on this CD, a bridge here or there. This CD is actually not as fast-tempo and high-energy as their previous two, a bit more mid-tempo and textured. But I still think it's great!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I received this CD last week, and I love it! They've been one of my very favorite modern surf bands since their '11 debut "Viva!" and I was honored to be asked to write the liner notes for this album. Check it out, it's just fantastic!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Page 1 of 1