Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Need surfy amp with slight dirt and FX loop

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Quilter Mini Head. It sounds great, and has presets, including a surf sound, but it sounds like they'll be releasing one with the standard 3 band EQ pretty soon. I stick to primarily the FullQ setting, despite the "Surf" setting.

Single_Fin wrote:

Quilter Mini Head. It sounds great, and has presets, including a surf sound, but it sounds like they'll be releasing one with the standard 3 band EQ pretty soon. I stick to primarily the FullQ setting, despite the "Surf" setting.

I concur. The Quilter Mini head can produce some great sounds and you can easily pair it up with numerous speaker / cabinet combinations. It also takes pedals well (or reverb unit).

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. You'd need a reverb though.

abdul_tom wrote:

i thought the supersonics were bassy and woolly. is that not correct?

will check the PV despite the low power Smile

The supersonics sound great, and even the PVC30s don't sound too bad for EL84 amps. But both types of amps have major operational reliability problems. The PV30 is constructed with a crazy 3-board system with tons of delicate little jumper wires that can crack the trace pads and cause major grief. The supersonics have a crazy amount of SS in them, which is situated above the tubes, so these get crazily hot, which is bad for silicooties. I hate working on both types. YMMV

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

A Carvin X100B will get you where you want to be, no sweat. They're a pretty remarkable deal, in my opinion. Lots of overhead on the clean channel and you can switch to the overdrive channel and keep the knob on 1 for the dirt you want. They have an EQ slider set, 2 different ways to adjust presence, and pretty awesome spring reverb. They do have an effects loop and can also be cut down from 100 to 50 or 25 watts. And originals go for under 400 bucks.

abdul_tom wrote:

... I put a Magnatone style tube reverb circuit and long two spring pan but it ain't quite doing the do.

It should be possible to get this sounding good even so. Have you got a schematic of your build handy?

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

Did you mention the kustom 72 amp? I have the head version which isn't getting used so I'll move it on at some point. Great amp, just more than I need

Sorry, i never came back on this useful thread.

tubeswell wrote:

abdul_tom wrote:

... I put a Magnatone style tube reverb circuit and long two spring pan but it ain't quite doing the do.

It should be possible to get this sounding good even so. Have you got a schematic of your build handy?

Actually I don't because a tech did this mod to my specs. However, it's pretty simple so if I open it up I can probably sketch it out. we rigged it with a pot on the send and the return so we get a dwell control, as well as two band tone control on each, basically using the original channels of the PA. The issues are howling feedback if I crank the send or the return above about 4 and a pretty low level of reverb generally. also the sound completely changes the more i drive the circuit, so it becomes very trebly and brittle. That's actually quite fun in and of itself as you can get a harsh post-punk style tone if you want it from an otherwise warm amp.

Vince_Ray wrote:

Did you mention the kustom 72 amp? I have the head version which isn't getting used so I'll move it on at some point. Great amp, just more than I need

I ditched the Kustom because I was a combo and I never really used it. The sound was okay, it just didn't fit with the rest of my rig.

GatoStrato wrote:

I run into a tube overdrive into a volume pedal into the front end of a big clean tube amp(s)... From the preamp out into my mixing board into my Lexicon MPX 100 and other stuff (J.T. runs 3 Lexicon LPX units and other stuff) back to the mixer,out to poweamp in....

Hold on, are you running into the front end or into the power amp in? If it's the latter then it must have an FX loop. If it's the front end in theory it shouldn't work with the low z output of a mixer as an amp front end is designed to take a high z input. Using a low z input will usually result in feeble power and certain frequencies being strongly exaggerated.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 12:44:53

Goto Page: Previous 1 2