Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Hernia Operation

Page 1 of 1

Who here has had a hernia in the upper abdomen? I'm curious as to what my post-surgery recovery time is going to be, as we have a gig scheduled 20 days later.

Some specfics. My scar from a previous operation to take out some tumors in my chest has reopened on the inside. The surgery isn't going to be lapriscopic, and the previous scar is going to be reopened.

Any info would be appreciated.

Perhaps they could roll you onstage in a hospital bed. Wink You know I kid.

I'd do it.

Im sure your Doctor will tell you otherwise but what the hell man , its rock and Roll! Id say dont move around too much and youll be alright.

Haha good luck!

Seems like everyone I know that has had any surgery lately was given a standard 2 month recovery, but they all recovered well before that.

I heard recovery is 19 days, 23 hrs and 59 minutes - so you'll have a minute to spare. GET A ROADIE TO MOVE YOUR GEAR and then enjoy the gig. Good luck with it all.

CUTBACK

I won't be carrying my own gear until maybe sometime in October. I don't want to risk anything.

You're a kid, you'll heal in no time. ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Let's see. I broke my arm on March the first. Had a plate screwed in on the 6th, and played guitar on the 7th, and I'm a old guy.
Soooo with you being a young guy, I would say a little o'l chest operation should have you down,,,,, say four days maybe five tops??

My best wishes to you Jake.

disclaimer..
I am not a doctor neither do I play one om stage.. come to think of it, I don't play on stage anymore.

Joel

Speedy recovery speedy recovery all the best Jake Cool Don't you go haulin' those Dual Showman cabs with 15"s Wink travel lite Guitar

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

I had a hernia surgery when I was two years old. My mom said that I was running around after a day or two. I guess age does make a difference.

Gonna depend entirely on you Jake... Do you have the self control to not push it before the show, and to not jump around like this Monkey during the show. Playing your guitar isn't what's going to be limited. A good test is to ask your doctor about "light traveling". If light traveling gets the green light, and you can manage to stand relatively still while playing, you should be able to gig...

Jake
I can only tell you what I encountered. I had my hernia operation at the end of last month. Ouch!!! but within 2 weeks I felt a little better (I was off pain meds)and decided to travel. After a week of traveling I got my incision infected so I had to lay low for a full week and take antibotics. (I am an idiot to travel so soon) It has now been almost a month and I am able to get out and resume all normal activities (even with the 1 week setback)
My doctor will not let me go back to work for another couple of weeks but he said I have absolutely no restrictions.
I hope you have an equally sucessful recovery!
Trode

Thanks Trode, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Trode
Jake
After a week of traveling I got my incision infected so I had to lay low for a full week and take antibotics.

Hence my suggestion to ask about "light travel". That really seems to be code for "yeah, you can go ahead and rest less, spend more time on your feet, and raise your heartrate a bit, but don't get stupid"

I will do no travelling after the surgery as the new Harry Potter book comes out several days later and I am risking no chance of having the book spoiled. I'm honestly going to turn off all my computers and TVs 3 days before.

Trode,
if your off of work, for recovery time, how come I have not seen you down here for shows???
Wink
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Trode
Jake
I can only tell you what I encountered. I had my hernia operation at the end of last month. Ouch!!! but within 2 weeks I felt a little better (I was off pain meds)and decided to travel. After a week of traveling I got my incision infected so I had to lay low for a full week and take antibotics. (I am an idiot to travel so soon) It has now been almost a month and I am able to get out and resume all normal activities (even with the 1 week setback)
My doctor will not let me go back to work for another couple of weeks but he said I have absolutely no restrictions.
I hope you have an equally sucessful recovery!
Trode

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Page 1 of 1