Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
173 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
120 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Amp speaker--the theory of bonk

Page 1 of 1

Hey all, I'm currently wading into the world of more-than-practice amps. I acquired a Fender Frontman 212R (100W) that is very loud very quickly and decided to get something lower power for home use and even recording. I figured I'd look for something tube powered and came across a Carvin X30 on craigslist, which I tested, liked very much, and bought.

The thing sounds freaking awesome. The clean tone is just what I would want and, with the bass knob cranked, has this really cool punch to it that the Frontman cannot accomplish. The only issue is that even at a 2-3 on the volume knob, the speaker sounds like it's bottoming out or something. I don't know what the technical description is or what exactly is going on; that's what I'm hoping to learn here. I'm assuming it's just being overwhelmed by the bass coupled with the reverb but I would sure love to be able to crank the volume on this sound, as it makes my 10 strings sound like 14s.

I should clarify that the amp sounds and performs great otherwise. The clean channel is clean, the drive channel is almost enough to make me want to switch to straight up rock n roll, and even the reverb is top notch. On 10 it even drips a little.

Redfeather wrote:

with the bass knob cranked

You need to turn the bass knob down.

So are there other solutions? Is this primarily a function of the speaker itself? It uses a Celestion G12M-70; would something different allow carrying the dimed bass knob into higher volume levels?

I understand the speaker must be coordinated with the circuitry. Perhaps this is why they also offered an X60?

Can't offer any advice on your amp I'm afraid but thought I'd mention that here in the UK "bonk" has a slightly different meaning than you might have intended! Very Happy

Wherever you go, there you are

http://rogerfowles.co.uk/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUsTNis44w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKauwombaC8

Redfeather wrote:

So are there other solutions? Is this primarily a function of the speaker itself? It uses a Celestion G12M-70; would something different allow carrying the dimed bass knob into higher volume levels?

I understand the speaker must be coordinated with the circuitry. Perhaps this is why they also offered an X60?

Jake already gave you the thing to try imo. It's neither a bass amp nor speaker. When you hit that thing with those low fundamentals that hard it's going to get flubby. Like we have pain, it tells us something is happening that is not good. Nothing wrong with a G12 Celestion.

Since we also hear harmonics vs. only fundamentals you may find that a tighter bass sound (amp/speaker staying the same) is actually achieved by turning the bass down, and accenting the treble (or some upper midrange if it has that control). Counter-intuitive maybe but there it is.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Redfeather wrote:

So are there other solutions?

No, I've never heard an amp where the tone knobs sounded good over 8 or under 3. It will sound the same even if you have a bass speaker, if anything it will be a little more 'bonky'.

I appreciate all the input, fellas (unlike my speaker, apparently.)

It's a shame this setting cannot be used. It does sound excellent. I've found this amp to be rather shrill on the clean channel if you let it so upping the bass and turning the highs way down (and the presence knob to zero) achieves a well balanced sound. Jake, it sounds like Dick Dale's strings on the opening of Misirlou before the drums kick in--you can just feel the punch coming off them.

What if... Would an extension cabinet with a second speaker extend the range of my beloved high bass setting? I'm too uneducated to know if my thinking is sound but would spreading the load across two of them reduce the incident of overload? Is this one of the intended duties of multiple speaker arrays?

Also, would closing the back of the existing cabinet help to reduce the effect?

If you want strong bass you need a lot of clean power and big speakers, or at least a lot of speaker surface area.
Guitarists typically buy and sell amps with high frequency. Chasing tone you have to make sacrifices, so don't get hung up on any one amp.

Squink Out!

Page 1 of 1