Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Announcing the release of The Space Cossacks' "Live Supernova" CD!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Larry White AKA Moon Dawg, who received the delivery of our CDs for the upcoming shows, just posted the below photo of the inside cover of the CD. He writes: "It's a glossy cardboard tri-fold case, with additional case sides featuring liner notes by John Blair, and band photos framed by a porthole."

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

CrazyAces wrote:

Uh oh, between this limited release Cossacks and the Senn by Eastwood Model One raffle only available at the Convention - I had better take a bunch of spare cash. I do have a few friends...

Cheers,
Jeff

I'm good for it; if you want some runnin' $$ in advance PM your address. It's Cali, you may need all the local currency you can safely carry; when I left a burger was 15 cents.
Whatever

(I'm saving my Crazy Aces shirt for Saturday's bass tournament; so far it's 2 for 2 in the luck department.)

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Ivan, you guys were so young then... with Jim Frias...

www.revwillis.com
www.willisclow.com
www.slajo.com

Heading up from Richmond now, can't wait for the show and to pick up the album!

Wow! That Pic!

Jim did 3 songs with them that day!
At the Surfing Museum show.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Only 500!?!

From all the music I got this year, this is the one I'm listening first ... so good!

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

"Live Supernova" is officially released this Friday! Apologies for the delay, but MuSick Recordings had to make sure all its distributors had the CD in time for the release. They will post more info on where to get the CD on Friday - for now, you can check them out on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/MuSickRecordings/photos/a.144696582229559.19166.144545565577994/1289625121070027/

We hope you enjoy it! And don't forget - only 500 made! And about 150 already gone (sold at the Cossacks shows this summer).

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016 10:04:03

For fans of The Space Cossacks (that is everyone, right?) do NOT make the mistake of thinking you don't need this CD. The playing and recording are stellar, and the energy level is unbelievable. Listening to this transports me right back to Space Cossacks shows in the 90's. Don't miss this one.

IvanP wrote:

...don't forget - only 500 made! And about 150 already gone (sold at the Cossacks shows this summer).

Big Grin

(I had my Surfadelic Spy-a-Go-Go agent at the convention; the rest of you peasants better grab this one.)
Thumbs Up

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Thank you, fellas!

It's finally OUT!! "Live Supernova' by The Space Cossacks! Recorded in '98, in Long Beach, CA, the same show where the mighty Jon and the Nightriders recorded their seminal live album "Raw and Alive" - and not coincidentally, John Blair wrote some great liner notes for this CD! The stunning CD artwork by the one and only Stephen Blickenstaff!

Now also available through Bandcamp, Spotify, iTunes and Amazon Digital:

Bandcamp: https://thespacecossacks.bandcamp.com/album/live-supernova

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/3ggU7UqSVf1z772GR4oG0x

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/live-supernova/id1167241983

Amazon digital: https://www.amazon.com/Live-Supernova-Space-Cossacks/dp/B01M9DFHXX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477668814&sr=8-1&keywords=space+cossacks+live+supernova

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Here are the great liner notes by John Blair:

"The Space Cossacks arrived in 1996. They were an all-instrumental, four-piece outfit from Washington D.C. who fit in nicely with the surf music crowd, but had taken the genre to a completely different level. They made quite a splash after only a few live performances; an overabundance of critical acclaim followed.

The songwriting and musicianship made them exceptional, a one-two punch sorely missing from a lot of contemporary guitar instrumental bands. The sheer, brutal force of their music made it exciting and incendiary. They were, as the saying goes, a cut above the rest, coming to an end only because of circumstances, not by desire.

Their legacy would have been assured if they had stopped after “Interstellar Stomp,” their debut LP/CD in 1998. However, they continued with the “Tsar Wars” album in 2000 and a 2005 “Best Of” compilation that included several previously unreleased studio and live recordings. These records were not only strong contributions to the canon of instrumental surf, they remain as required listening and important genre releases of the modern age.

The band consisting of lead guitarist Ivan Pongracic (originally from Croatia and considered one of the finest guitarists in the surf music genre), rhythm guitarist Mark English, bassist Catherine Gray, and drummer Doug Hoekstra journeyed to the West Coast in the summer of 1998 for a 10-day tour. Recording equipment was brought to their gig at the Foothill Club in Long Beach, California, on the night of July 10. All 21 tunes of the entire hour-long set were captured by surf music archivists/engineers Jay Hector and Richard Blair. The complete performance has remained unreleased for 18 years, losing none of its vitality or urgency during that time. The band was on fire that night, which makes this recording an important historical reminder of how far surf instrumental music had creatively progressed by the end of the 20th century."

─ John Blair (Jon & The Nightriders)

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ivan,
Is there anywhere I can purchase a tangible CD in a jewel case?? I've looked on Amazon, Ebay, Double Crown.. all zilch. Might there be a CD in a merch table shoe box somewhere in Michigan??
J Mo'

You can buy the CD here:

https://thespacecossacks.bandcamp.com/album/live-supernova

It isn't in a jewel case though.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

It's a great record!!! I had the pleasure of seeing the Space Cossacks twice on that tour. So tight, so many great songs. This album is a must have for everyone was either there, or not there.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Just got word that "Live Supernova" was chosen as the 2016 Album of the Year by the longest-running surf & instrumental-rock zine Pipeline Instrumental Review in their brand new issue #103! What a huge honor!!! Thank you so very, VERY much Alan Taylor and Dave Burke! I'm truly blown away! Huge thanks also to MuSick Recordings and Art Bourasseau for releasing this lost gem, and to Stephen Blickenstaff, John Blair and Bruce Kane for making the entire package very special! And congratulations to my fellow Cossacks!!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Dec 01, 2016 12:32:35

Way cool Ivan, Mark, Catherine & Doug! Great news for a fantastic band. Y'all are just the best.

Woody D
S3 #148
Henrico Va

Well deserved in my opinion! I received my copy (including autographs!) two weeks ago from a friend, who went to the convention and was kind enough to get it for me.

Over the past years I have read about this recordings every now and then: There has been a review at Reverb Central for years and Ivan himself mentioned that there was a pre-master "bootleg" circulating. And then there were of course some of the tracks on the "Never mind the Bolsheviks..." best of, which already hinted at how great the recording as a whole probably would be.

To make it short, the final CD surpasses my expectations by a large margin! First of all, the performance is intense (and that is one of the main reason why people buy live recordings in the first place). Secondly, there is great diversity in the set list: From fast driving songs like Red Sunrise, Escape from Gulag 17 or Planet of the Apes to shimmering melancholy in The Spy Satelite or Maroccan Adventures. And then there is Bitterweet Samba, which was kind of a surprise to me, but only another good one.

Thirdly, the sound is nothing short of amazing and "fakes" you into "being there" pretty well. I have been a long time fan of the sound of "Raw & Alive '98" by Jon & the Nightriders, which can be considered as somewhat as the older brother of this album, and although both records sound pretty different, they still definitely are in the same league soundwise (and playingwise). You can tell from the crispness of the lead guitar, that it must have been a pretty loud concert. And you really get a surfband at the top of their game!

As a last note: On this album I first noticed what an inventive rhythm guitarist Mark English actually is. Somehow the mix here translates this more clearly (at least to me) than on the studio recordings (especially listen to Metsakukkia).

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Thank you, Woody and Simon! Simon, that is such a wonderful review! Very thoughtful and thorough - I love it! I really appreciate it. I should add that Jon & the Nightriders and the Cossacks didn't only share the same recording equipment, but in fact ALL equipment but the guitars/bass. Since we were on tour on the other side of the country, we were borrowing the equipment of the other bands. I used John Blair's blackface Showman, Mark used Dave Wronski's blackface Super Reverb, Catherine used Pete Curry's amp (blackface Bassman? I don't remember), and Doug used Dusty's blue Ludwig drum set. So, describing "Raw and Alive" as the older brother of this recording is quite accurate, I think!

And I wholeheartedly agree with you on Mark's inventiveness! I think he's still highly underrated. He always came up with very interesting parts and has a unique style.

Here's the full Pipeline review, if anybody wants to check it out.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Double Crown records finally stocked this CD so I got mine. It's a great listen on the highway to and from work.
I hoped "The Defector" and "Exolumina" would be included on the CD, but Catherine Gray's "The Spy Satellite" made up for that. That is one hell of a tune as is "Solarus Stomp".
I play Cossacks and Madeira tunes every so often. I get the "What was that??!!" look from people and players alike. Trust me, it's better than applause.
Hard to believe this CD is from 18 years ago - well better late than never.
J Mo'

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next