Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Yay, I Got One

Page 1 of 1

At long last I got a Jag. I've been using a Strat for my surf playing but always wanted a JM or a Jag and eventually settled on a Jag. The problem is they're rare in Ireland so I've had little opportunity to play them other than cheap HH types so wasn't sure what to get. Following advice here I was thinking of getting either an AVRI or Johnny Marr but couldn't justify the price for a first offset in case I didn't like it. I was also put off a Jag with the bridge tuning issues and also the shorter scale 7.25 radius neck.

So... I took a chance on a 1996 Japanese made 62RI. And I love it! I bought a Staytrem bridge and trem collet and arm. I liked it the first day but fitting the Staytrem kit has transformed it, it stays in tune and the trem arm stays in place, great piece of engineering. Only took about 45 mins to install and set up.

The neck is taking a bit of time to adapt to but not too many bum notes! I'm used to swapping between a LP and a Strat anyway so it's not as big a difference as I thought it may be. It's strung with 11s or 12s I think, there was no number on the pack the original owner sent with the guitar. I don't like the wound 3rd so will get a set with a 20 or 22 plain, possibly Ernie Ball Beefy or Not Even Slinky, something like 11/12 through to 52/54.

I my change the pickups to the AVRI that a lot here recommend. The originals sound good, if not fantastic, at home volume but I'll have to hear it at gig volume.

A few scratchy pots and switches to clean and I'm good to go!

Thanks to all here for advice and freely shared info, any other tips for this particular guitar re strings, pickups etc would be welcome.

Cheers

JOe

Happy new guitar day!

http://blueruins.bandcamp.com

Nice one!
Congratulations
Go the 65 AV pickups ....so good.

JoeKinetic wrote:

At long last I got a Jag. I've been using a Strat for my surf playing but always wanted a JM or a Jag and eventually settled on a Jag. The problem is they're rare in Ireland so I've had little opportunity to play them other than cheap HH types so wasn't sure what to get. Following advice here I was thinking of getting either an AVRI or Johnny Marr but couldn't justify the price for a first offset in case I didn't like it. I was also put off a Jag with the bridge tuning issues and also the shorter scale 7.25 radius neck.

So... I took a chance on a 1996 Japanese made 62RI. And I love it! I bought a Staytrem bridge and trem collet and arm. I liked it the first day but fitting the Staytrem kit has transformed it, it stays in tune and the trem arm stays in place, great piece of engineering. Only took about 45 mins to install and set up.

The neck is taking a bit of time to adapt to but not too many bum notes! I'm used to swapping between a LP and a Strat anyway so it's not as big a difference as I thought it may be. It's strung with 11s or 12s I think, there was no number on the pack the original owner sent with the guitar. I don't like the wound 3rd so will get a set with a 20 or 22 plain, possibly Ernie Ball Beefy or Not Even Slinky, something like 11/12 through to 52/54.

I my change the pickups to the AVRI that a lot here recommend. The originals sound good, if not fantastic, at home volume but I'll have to hear it at gig volume.

Thanks to all here for advice and freely shared info, any other tips for this particular guitar re strings, pickups etc would be welcome.

Cheers

Joe

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016 05:43:33

JoeKinetic wrote:

Congratulations! Very pretty guitar. Just a couple thoughts... when you go to clean your pots, be judicious if you have a longing to blow cleaner into a pot. A little Deoxit goes a long way and you don't want - in the process - to blow out any lube that might be still in there. After a bit of cleaning if they're still scratchy just replace them.

Lots of string choices in the String Thread but I've recently converted my JM to DR Pure Blues (.011's). The round core characteristics seem to give them a great feel and they also seem to pull in & stay faster than other strings. (Oddly I don't care for them on my Strats but they are wonderful on the JM.) Not too spendy. On a Jag you may find that .012's feel like .011's.

Again, congrats & thanks for the pics.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

blueruins wrote:

Happy new guitar day!

Thanks!

Pihabeach82 wrote:

Nice one!
Congratulations
Go the 65 AV pickups ....so good.

Thanks, everyone seems to like these pickups, not overly pricy to try either so I guess they're next.

Badger wrote:

JoeKinetic wrote:

Congratulations! Very pretty guitar. Just a couple thoughts... when you go to clean your pots, be judicious if you have a longing to blow cleaner into a pot. A little Deoxit goes a long way and you don't want - in the process - to blow out any lube that might be still in there. After a bit of cleaning if they're still scratchy just replace them.

Lots of string choices in the String Thread but I've recently converted my JM to DR Pure Blues (.011's). The round core characteristics seem to give them a great feel and they also seem to pull in & stay faster than other strings. (Oddly I don't care for them on my Strats but they are wonderful on the JM.) Not too spendy. On a Jag you may find that .012's feel like .011's.

Again, congrats & thanks for the pics.

Thanks Wes

I've not seen the DR strings here but will get a set online and try them. I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky 9-46 and skinny top heavy bottom 10-52 on my other guitars but will try a few to see what I like on the Jag.

Cheers

Joe,
Congratulations on your Jag.
I dig the color and matching headstock.
A pretty cool, lesser known D'Addario round wound set are the EXL145's.
.012 - .054 they come with an unwound .020 G.
Popular set with my customers for Jags and Gretsch guitars.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

CrazyAces wrote:

Joe,
Congratulations on your Jag.
I dig the color and matching headstock.
A pretty cool, lesser known D'Addario round wound set are the EXL145's.
.012 - .054 they come with an unwound .020 G.
Popular set with my customers for Jags and Gretsch guitars.

Cheers,
Jeff
Thanks Jeff. I'll give them a try too.

Cheers

Agree with Jeff; if for some reason you don't like the round-cores, my go-to string on my Strats are the D'Addarios mentioned (but in .011).
Good stuff & pretty easy on the wallet. Company is responsive to questions from the peasants as well, always a good thing.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Hahaha, "responsive to the peasants"! I like it. I'll get a set of them too to try. I'm pretty set on what I use on my other guitars so will try a few recommendations from you guys and see what I like on the Jag.

Cheers, appreciate the advice.

Joe

Page 1 of 1