Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink The Shallow End: Dedicated to Rip & Spanky

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

And you fine sir.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Those guys were the best. It was magical seeing the Penetrators tribute with Trace, Stix, Eddie, & Ivan.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

Those guys were the best. It was magical seeing the Penetrators tribute with Trace, Stix, Eddie, & Ivan.

that it was

www.surfintheeye.com

mom_surfing wrote:

Brian wrote:

that it was

Agree

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Today is Rip Thrillby’s birthday. He would have been 49.

I found surfguitar101.com through a Google search on ‘Atlanta Surf Music’ and got a hit on a Creative Loafing (a local leisure guide) interview with Chad Shivers talking about the Atlanta surf scene and the Southern Surf Stomp. Wow. I was floored to find out that surf music had a small, but active, fan base right here in Atlanta. In response to the question “What are the three most essential surf albums?” Chad replied, “Hands down, the Penetrators Locked and Loaded is the quintessential, defining Atlanta surf album.” I had never heard of them, but I downloaded their MP3 album from Amazon and thought it was great. I decided to find out more about the Penetrators and that search brought me to, you guessed it, surfguitar101.com. The more I learned about the Penetrators, the more intrigued I became. Especially with regard to Rip Thrillby and Spanky Twangler, two brothers from Alabama, and their wonderful, glorious, tragic story.

I grew up very close to Huntsville, Alabama, their hometown. I found it fascinating that these wild men started a surf band at the University of Alabama. Not only that, but they created alter egos as secret agents for the Southern Surf Syndicate, complete with biographies and a cool website. They developed a total image with graphics and logos. They were bigger than life and cooler than hell. They seemed like guys you would want to have as best friends. Unfortunately, that will never be. It’s strange, I never knew Rip or Spanky, but I miss them.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Let's raise a Toast to RIP tonight!

Cheers, and Welcome Silver Flash

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Just tipped a can one more time! I'm going to plug in the cd's as soon as I finish typing. I don't know whether to be sad their gone or glad for their music they left us with. ????

That wfoguy, is a no-brainer. We are most sad to have lost them and we are damn glad they left us with so much good music.

Sir Flash, welcome to 101.

We all miss them dearly.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

eddiekatcher wrote:

We are most sad to have lost them and we are damn glad they left us with so much good music.

We all miss them dearly.
ed

My glass is raised. Love yer story Silver Flash.
Now back to practicing so I can be "that good" someday.

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015 22:03:48

Rip Thrillby would have been 50 years old today. I raise my single malt to him and to his brother, Spanky Twangler. I still regret that I never had the opportunity to meet them or hear them perform live.

Their band, The Penetrators, have become one of my very favorite and played a role in my very first post to SG101 one year ago today.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Stix Stechkin this past year at a Southern Surf Stomp and I am very excited by the opportunity to see The Penetrators, along with The Space Cossacks and The Mystery Men? on July 30th at the Star Bar in Atlanta.

Rest in Peace, Rip and Spanky. You are far from forgotten.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
SSS Agent #777

Miss you, Rip!

I came across these photos recently - I think they sum up Rip perfectly! He was smooth... Smile These were taken at the Surfari USA '97 show in Atlanta at the Variety Playhouse. The girls were the go-go dancers for the Penetrators at that show (and others, too). There was no one like Rip, then or now.

(Silverflash, unfortunately the Penetrators will not be able to perform at the Atlanta Cossacks show in Atlanta in two weeks since the drummer Sticks had an accident and messed up his back. I don't think it's serious, but it's put him out of commission for the next few months. A serious bummer!)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Hi Ivan, I had not heard about Stix. Thanks for letting me know. What a bummer, both for Stix and the show. I hope he gets better soon and another opportunity for the Penetrators to perform presents itself. But I guess the stars would have to align just right for that to happen.

I never knew who was going to make up the Penetrators for the show. I assumed Stix and I hoped Trace Luger would perform. (For anyone who doesn't know, that would cover drums and bass, the original Penetrators rhythm section.) Beyond that I figured you would play guitar. Too much of a coincidence with your being in town and you have been known to play in a tribute band or two. (BTW, really looking forward to meeting you in person and seeing the Cossacks.)

I don't know if the other guitarist(s) are supposed to be a secret, but I would like to know if it's not. I could make a few guesses. It's not like Atlanta is short on outstanding surf guitarists (Chad Shivers, Eddie Katcher, Richard Hawes, and Jamie Galatas to name a few.)

Anyway, thanks for the update and I envy you for having known Rip and Spanky, and for playing one hell of a guitar.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
SSS Agent #777

Happy Birthday Agent Thrillby!!
Skol

Fender Bass, Small Firearms

Wow, Trace Luger himself! It is an honor, sir. Worship

I hope to one day meet you and thank you personally for all the great music.

-Tim

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
SSS Agent #777

Tim, I do believe that the Penetrators T.R.I.B.U.T.E. is on deck for the Southern Surf StompFest, so hope remains!

RIP Rip and Spanky! I never met Rip, but did meet and hang with Spanky a number of times... what a sweet and wonderful man! I love that these brothers' legacy is strong and powerful and always growing! Well deserved!

I never had the chance to meet Rip, but from what I have read he seemed like a very special person. His music (and Spanky), which is so great, lives on for us. I am grateful for that.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Jamie, The Penetrators T.R.I.B.U.T.E. is still on!?! Hallelujah, that is excellent news! Thumbs Up

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
SSS Agent #777

SilverFlash wrote:

Jamie, The Penetrators T.R.I.B.U.T.E. is still on!?! Hallelujah, that is excellent news! Thumbs Up

That's my understanding! Chad is the bossman on that event, so only he can fully confirm. Really hate that they can't join for the Space Cossacks show, especially considering their history, but StompFest will be a fitting substitute!

About 10, maybe 12 years ago, my Sister got me 'Locked And Loaded', and 'Kings Of The High Speed Weekend'. Good stuff.
I bring those CDs, (Among many others), when I jam up the I-5 from San Diego up to Portland/Seattle every Fall.
I never had the chance to see The Penetrators live. Sure wish I could have.

R.I.P., Rip

Clark

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Just re-read through this whole thread. (Did not know Rip.) His note on pg. 1 of this thread - fortunately read without a mouth full of coffee - is on my happy-thought-of-the-day list - not just because it has some funny shit but contains some sage observations. Plus ca change... and all that.

The unapologetic real deal by all accounts. Thanks all for sharing your recollections. Coffee mug raised.
Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next