Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Reverb unit not as wet as it should be

Page 1 of 1

Hi all!

I've got one of the Fender '63 Reverb Reissue units. I got it used, and it's worked great for the past 6 months. Big, full luscious drip.

About a week ago, it lost it's drip. It still sort of works, in that I can play thru it and hear a little bit of verb, but nothing like what it should be. With Dwell, Mix, and Tone cranked, it's just a subtle effect.

With Dwell and Mix all the way down, my dry signal is as it should be. As I turn Mix up, I lose high end.

When jostling the unit, there's plenty of thunder. The tanks working, but it seems like maybe it's not boosting the wet signal enough? I tried swapping out tubes, but it didn't seem to affect it.

Interestingly, I've got a Topanga Spring Reverb pedal on my board that also sounds weird and different lately. It's got the same basic wet/dry issue, but also sounds phasery now.

Please help me escape Reverb Twilight Zone! What are the chances that both my pedal and unit would develop the same issue at the same time? In the last couple months, I've been using both completely dry as overdrives. Should I be weary of pushing one of these too hard?

Last edited: May 24, 2016 17:46:44

Got a second amp to try through? Anything else in the chain when trying them? Did you try separate guitars? Different cables?

Yep Smile

Tried all that. Unit behaves the same when only thing in chain as when not. Also regardless of amp or guitar.

I've had problems with the spring tank inside which made it sound like weak reverb. Bought a new spring tank and replaced it and it worked great. If you have access to another unit you can open them up and swap out the tanks to see if it helps.
If both reverbs mysteriously stop sounding right and you've tried different amp/cable/guitar/etc you are indeed in the Reverb Twilight Zone and I would consider you seek a new dwelling.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Have you tried different RCA patch cables to the pan (particularly the one going to the pan's "input")? If it's not that, it's likely an issue in the driver circuit, perhaps the driver transformer. It'll need a trip to an amp tech at that point I believe. It sounds like your Topanga pedal should go back to Catalinbread as well, I'm afraid...

As far I recall, if you turn the Topanga on while the tone is at 0, it enters a 'modulation' mode. Do the same to reverse the situation.

Last edited: May 26, 2016 20:25:25

DreadInBabylon wrote:

As far I recall, if you turn the Topanga on while the tone is at 0, it enters a 'modulation' mode. Do the same to reverse the situation.

Ah! Thanks! I just got a Topanga and was supremely disappointed; it sounded weird. I remember setting all the knobs to 0 when I powered it up. I will try that!

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Page 1 of 1