Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink So what's everybody using to record?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

tubeswell wrote:

DreadInBabylon wrote:

I personally like the Komplete 6, the latest batch of M-audio are good too, I heard.

How's your impression of the KA6 now Ariel? I've got my eyes on one. Do you use yours with anything else besides Cubase?

Pete

I missed that Face Palm . 2 years later I notice your post... Sorry for being impolite, Pete!

So... if it's still relevant to anyone, the Native-Instruments Komplete Audio 6 has been serving me really well, generally. It's still one one the better options in terms of latency for USB2 cards. The driver is stable. The preamps are lacking headroom IMO, but flat and usable. That's what you'll always get at this price. The metering and peak detection is lacking and not dependable, so I use software metering.

I tend to upgrade in big steps, it makes more sense economically. Once I start recording more seriously, I'll probably invest in a couple of good externally powered pre-amps and a dedicated converter.

NMD! I just got these:
Out of historical affection to JBL brand, I checked the new(ish) LSR series, and was able to compare them to 4 other monitors in the respectable categories. Both 5" and 8" versions just kill everything, including boxes double the price. They took the design principles of their mastering model M2, and applied it to cheap manufacturing. No hype, that technology works.
They're amazing in every way: Totally flat response; phasing/timing/crossover design that gives punchy and accurate transients; solid phantom center placement, pin-point stereo field imaging, bottom that you wouldn't believe, crazy detailed highs, and a super wide sweet-spot.
What goes out is what went in, no more no less. No guessing, now I can hear.
The "5 is more than enough for my current room, and can always be augmented with a sub if necessary. I'm gonna stay with these for a very long time now.

Last edited: Nov 08, 2015 10:20:08

Has anyone used the DAW Starlight? It seems intuitive. I've managed to programme a classic "surf beat" in the drums section within a few minutes of downloading to be used at a later date.

I'm working on a slowish tune for the 2015 compilation I've recorded in Audacity (where I added too much echo so it sounds more Joe Meek than Shadows), but need to add drums and bass.

Clarry wrote:

Has anyone used the DAW Starlight?

Sounds interesting but I can't see it on the net at all.

crumble wrote:

Clarry wrote:

Stagelight

Doh!

Clarry wrote:

crumble wrote:

Clarry wrote:

Stagelight

Doh!

Thanks I like it! Extra good if you like chilling on the sofa with an android tablet and it's for free. If I had a larger phone or tablet I'd be all over this one for sure!

I've heard some good reports on this one as well

http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

My current setup at home is a Focusrite Clarett 8pre interface (Thunderbolt based), into an iMac (2014 i7 quadcore), with Logic X and JBL active monitors. I also have a Focusrite Octopre MkII adat expansion for when I'm live tracking bands and need more inputs. I used to have a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 as my main interface and the upgrade to Thunderbolt is a noticeable improvement. Smaller form factor is nice too, the Liquid had a lot of bells and whistles I never really used.

Years ago I used all analog reel-to-real, mixer, outboard preamps, comps and EQ, patchbay, the works. I switched to a hard drive recorder and digital mixer after a while, then eventually to all digital and mixing in the box and I haven't looked back. I still record and mix with that old school mind set most of the time, but it's nice to be able to fit my whole recording rig in the back seat of a car, have instant backups, an "undo" button and easy editing.

Hey guys, please tell me if this will work. I just want a basic, simple way to record my music. It doesn't have to sound perfect, just better than what I am currently using (an iPhone!). I plan on buying a Shure SM57 mic, a mic stand, and a X2U adapter. I will be using Mixcraft 7 for my DAW. I have a decent set of headphones, and will buy some external speakers as well. Will this setup work? I wanted to ask you guys first before I started spending money, thanks.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

I've been upgrading a few things.

Current setup is either:
guitar->pedals->THR10->computer
keys/mics->Soundcraft GB8->M-Audio FastTrack C400->computer

I'd been using Audacity previously, but I'll probably switch to Reaper or something with integrated MIDI (those racks of synths won't play themselves!)

Unlike Corey Y, I don't want to do it all ITB. I spend all day ITB, and I'd rather the computer just be a recorder for me. Nothing wrong with ITB, it's just not where I want to be.

The GB-8 is new to me (second owner), and I'm still working on learning it and getting it all hooked up. The group outs, for instance, are XLR only (as opposed to the previous mixer), so I need some cabling before I record seriously. I'm considering operating it in a split-console mode, which means only 16 channels of inputs. Oh darn. Smile

I am having a bit of a tussle getting my effects hooked up correctly. Last night's test didn't go too well. Probably just some things plugged in incorrectly.

SixStringSurfer,

Assuming you're moving from the iPhone to some other computer (that has USB, naturally), I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Sweetwater shows a X2U/SM57 bundle. Oddly enough, though, it's a buck more than buying them separately.

raito wrote:

I've been upgrading a few things.

Current setup is either:
guitar->pedals->THR10->computer
keys/mics->Soundcraft GB8->M-Audio FastTrack C400->computer

I'd been using Audacity previously, but I'll probably switch to Reaper or something with integrated MIDI (those racks of synths won't play themselves!)

Unlike Corey Y, I don't want to do it all ITB. I spend all day ITB, and I'd rather the computer just be a recorder for me. Nothing wrong with ITB, it's just not where I want to be.

The GB-8 is new to me (second owner), and I'm still working on learning it and getting it all hooked up. The group outs, for instance, are XLR only (as opposed to the previous mixer), so I need some cabling before I record seriously. I'm considering operating it in a split-console mode, which means only 16 channels of inputs. Oh darn. Smile

I am having a bit of a tussle getting my effects hooked up correctly. Last night's test didn't go too well. Probably just some things plugged in incorrectly.

SixStringSurfer,

Assuming you're moving from the iPhone to some other computer (that has USB, naturally), I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Sweetwater shows a X2U/SM57 bundle. Oddly enough, though, it's a buck more than buying them separately.

When it comes to ITB/OTB, whatever is conducive to your workflow and creativity is the best choice. I have a huge pile of 1/4" TRS, XLR male or female to 1/4" TRS of various lengths and a Neutrik patchbay, if you're ever in need and want some for cheap. They've been sitting in my warehouse for years and probably had about half a dozen projects worth of use before I stopped using them, which stung a bit at the time (6 or 7 years ago or so).

2nd DreadInBabylon's comments on the JBL monitors. Guitar Center had them for $119 each a few seeks ago and I picked up a pair. (LSR 305 model) Sounded a lot better than speakers costing twice as much. COuldn't be happier with them.

For drums using a MOTU 8M that gets recorded into Reaper. The tracks then get sent from Reaper into the MOTU mixer which is nice because it's all right there channel-strip style. I setup FX send channels and stuff in Reaper as well that then also get pumped into the MOTU mixer. Once everything is mixed on the MOTU mixer, that gets recorded back as a stereo pre-master track in Reaper. That then gets mastered in Ozone 7.

Skins for The Delstroyers

I recently switched my interface to a Zoom UAC-8. I find the software included much easier to use than the Focusrite software. Sound quality is excellent.

I was using primarily Slate plugins, but just took advantage last month on a sale on Ozone 7. I used Ozone 5 in the past, but I'm very much digging 7. I got the suite where the modules can also be used as individual plugs. Very handy.

Reaper remains my DAW of choice, so customizable!

thelurids.bandcamp.com/

For speakers I use JBL 5s and a 12 sub

Computer is a iMac 27 inch

Interface is a universal audio Apollo

I use waves and logic X software

Pro Tools and in rehearsals 4-track analog Tascam taperecorder.

Twang & Bop til You Drop!

Hey guys, I just started recording yesterday! It's a lot of fun, but also a lot of hard work. I am using a Shure SM57 mic, a Focusrite 2i2 Audio interface, and Mixcraft 7 for my DAW.

I will say one thing, the mic really picks up a lot of DRIP. Now I know how all the old records and also recordings from you guys sound so wet and splashy. As soon as I finish my first song, I will upload it and get some feedback and pointers from you guys.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

My music store guy decided I needed a new challenge in my musical life so he set the hook on me with a Scarlett Solo interface last week. Using Reaper, MT Power Drums, and assortment of Focusrite Plug ins for now. Challenging but kinda fun! I can see a mic setup in my future to get channnel 1 involved.

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

Last edited: Dec 09, 2016 23:49:09

Speakers: Adam F5
Computer: intel i-5 4570 w7 64-bit
Interface: RME HDSP 9632
Previus: Studio Projects VTB-1 and Golden Age Project Pre-73 MKIII
I use Cubase 5 and Waves Mercury (with SSL, APi...)
For Demos I use Amplitube Fender or Line 6 Hd 500, and for drums Superior Drummer 2.0

Example:(https://soundcloud.com/atanez/the-munsters-cover-atanez)

(https://thephantomdragsters.bandcamp.com/)

The Phantom Dragsters

I bought a Zoom H2n for Xmas, and finally got to use it at last night's practice. I was stunned by the results. Captured the bass and the drums really well. Clear, clean and easy to use.

It records in X-Y mode, but also Middle and Side (used for films apparently). Combine the two and you can get full surround sound in 2 or four channel recording. Runs off two AA batteries and you just push one button to record. It even has a metronome to provide a click track and a tuner. It has to be the easiest thing to use since an old potable tape recorder. Really recommend checking one out for live and rehearsal recordings.
The chances of getting in the studio anytime soon are remote, so at least I can record our new stuff on this. Brilliant bit of kit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CQ2ZY6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005CQ2ZY6&linkCode=as2&tag=phillip019-20&linkId=c2deb77d4ef3dbe34bcd4a29a21b13ce

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017 04:57:35

da-ron wrote:

I bought a Zoom H2n for Xmas, and finally got to use it at last night's practice. I was stunned by the results. Captured the bass and the drums really well. Clear, clean and easy to use.

It records in X-Y mode, but also Middle and Side (used for films apparently). Combine the two and you can get full surround sound in 2 or four channel recording. Runs off two AA batteries and you just push one button to record. It even has a metronome to provide a click track and a tuner. It has to be the easiest thing to use since an old potable tape recorder. Really recommend checking one out for live and rehearsal recordings.
The chances of getting in the studio anytime soon are remote, so at least I can record our new stuff on this. Brilliant bit of kit.

My friend uses a slightly older model very similar to yours. For recording our jam sessions (in a small garage) It produced extremely good recordings. although looking back the drums did tend to dominate. I think we had a better mix when we used a Minidisc with a mic on the ceiling. The Longboards used that approach when recorded their first album "Big Surf".

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next