Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink 9th annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention! Sat. August 13th 12pm to 12am, info for SG101 BBQ on page 11

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 622 23 Next

I've been super busy all day but just got a moment to check in and say

WOW JEFF WOW

Is it August yet!!!!????

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Holy Sh*t!! Wow!

El Twitter
El Ray
El Ray on Bandcamp
El Twang on YouTube

Lol, thanks guys,

Wait till next year!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Drool

Holy smokes what a stellar lineup. I now have a new entry on my "totally got to make this happen or die trying!!!" list.

Skins for The Delstroyers

If Noel can make it, we all should be there.

Happy Sunsets!

I just booked a double bed room at Don's Turf Motel in Los Alamitos.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Apr 08, 2016 15:21:22

Jeff, I'd like to second Cousin Mary's sentiment that you've truly outdone yourself this year and really do hope you know how much we appreciate the hard work you put into this. I'm SO looking forward to this and August can't come quickly enough.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Noel you might want to check motels closer to Alpine Village. Don's was close to the old venue, The Starting Gate, but is not anywhere near Alpine Village. A Torrance location are what you want.

Happy Sunsets!

Last edited: Apr 08, 2016 16:00:25

tahitijack wrote:

Noel you might want to check motels closer to Alpine Village. Don's was close to the old venue, The Starting Gate, but is not anywhere near Alpine Village. A Torrance location are what you want.

Would Long Beach hotels be a good in-between for the Convention and Huntington Beach pier?

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

I haven't been to California since around 1999. I'm really looking forward to this, even if it's a short visit.

Sorry - got interrupted. I can't express how much I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Apr 08, 2016 19:16:32

CrazyAces wrote:

tahitijack wrote:

Would Long Beach hotels be a good in-between for the Convention and Huntington Beach pier?

Cheers,
Jeff

Yes, if it's a good price, if not go with Dons turf motel.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

For those coming from out of town...regarding where to stay, here a few local veteran thoughts:

All of the shows are quite spread out across the greater LA area, so it really doesn't matter where you stay. You're going to need a car to get around regardless. So, consider what's most important to you personally--staying by the ocean, being right near the convention location, being closer to the airport to make arrival and departure easier, etc. Also remember that the convention goes until midnight this year, so staying nearby is probably more of a consideration. If you look at the map, several of the main gigs are almost in a straight line: Purple Orchid--Alpine Village--HB Pier, with Long Beach resting somewhat in the middle.

I hate to say it, but Don's Turf Motel is actually totally off this path, out of the way. It's just not practical this time around. One of the most fun things to do during the weekend is to socialize after hours back at the hotel, as long as everyone's staying at the same place. I would recommend that everyone coming from out of town that want this experience and to get the most out of hanging with the SG101 family, all communicate and agree on one place.

Looking at places in close proximity to Alpine Village...
1. Cali-Inn, Carson: 1 Star, $94
2. Holiday Inn, Los Angeles Gateway: 3 Stars, $158
3. Redac Gateway Hotel, Torrance: 2 Stars, $150
4. Miyako Hybrid Hotel, Torrance: 3 Stars, $137
5. Motel 6, Carson: 2 Stars, $91
6. Double Tree Hilton, Carson: 3 Stars, $229
7. Extended Stay America, LA: 2 Stars, $108
8. Travelodge Inn And Suites, Gardena: 2 Stars, $85
9. Courtyard Marriot, LA: 3 Stars, $169
10. Super 8 Torrance, LA Airport Area: 2 Stars, $64
11. Travelodge Torrance, Redondo Beach: 2 Stars, $95
12. Courtyard Marriot LA: 3 Stars, $169

As you can see, there's a bit of everything, quality and price-wise. Keep in mind, the farthest of the above is still within a 10 min. car ride.

FWIW, if I had to decide, I would stay at the Super 8 Torrance LAX Airport Area on Sepulveda (2360 Sepulveda Blvd., Torrance 310-534-4900) because it's super cheap, simple, close by and actually offers quite a few amenities for the dough: breakfast, wi-fi, parking. Oh, and it's AAA rated, if that's important to you. It also looks like there are several places quite close to eat/drink: a Japanese Curry House, Starbucks, a bakery, a Korean BBQ, a Mexican joint, and even a 7-Eleven.

I've never stepped foot in this place, so don't hold it against me if it's a dump, but it sounds like a really good option.

9 mins to Alpine Village
20 mins to Purple Orchid
42 mins to Huntington Beach Pier
33 mins to Surf Dogs

Hope this helps a bit. Cheers

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Last edited: Apr 09, 2016 02:11:02

Nice job Jonpaul. Sorry for my late response. Long Beach or even Seal Beach lodging is fairly central and closer to the HB Pier venue, but its best to stay near the 405/San Diego Freeway if you chose those cities. But you'll be further from the convention. There are two Courtyard by Marriott Hotels in Torrance. One is at the 405 and Western not far from retail, restaurants and across the street from Toyota's old US HQ. The other is at Crenshaw and Sepulveda. Retail and restaurants are close. Its not on the freeway, but is a few minutes from Alpine Village. There is a Courtyard by Marriott at LAX, (actually in El Segundo) but its out of the way for most events. As others have said there are a wide range of types and prices but, if it matters, in most cases you get what you pay for. Best to call the lodging directly and negotiate "What can you do for me on the price?" especially if you're staying several nights. Strength in numbers matters, so if you can organize into a 10 room group, see if that leverage gets everyone a great price. Maybe next year Jeff can negotiate a rate for "Official Lodging of SG101" status. Are we going to be that organized at 10 years? It is summer and August is a peek season month so the closer you are to a beach, the higher the rate. Hope this helps, good luck.

Happy Sunsets!

Last edited: Apr 09, 2016 12:26:51

Stellar lineup Jeff! We are in for a treat, I've been lucky enough to see almost all these bands, except for the reunion bands, and so looking forward to seeing them again. Of course also excited to see the reunion bands since their CD's are among my favorites.

A most outstanding line-up, Jeff, well done!!
-Marty

"Hello Girls!"

We're really excited to be among such incredible bands!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

My wife Tina and I never stay at hotels when we travel. It's always either a person's apartment, home, or just a spare bedroom with a private bathroom. We've done this about a dozen times or more...it's always fun and beats the heck out of a pricey hotel.

If anyone is interested, here's the link: www.airbnb.com/c/gdomany?s=8
It'll give you a discount if you're a first-time user.

Just type in Los Angeles, your dates, and your price range.

Cool

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

Ruhar wrote:

We're really excited to be among such incredible bands!

I'm really excited that we get to hear you play again Ryan.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

wherever you decide to stay, just know that there will be shows in so cal from Thursday before to sudsy after.
Maybe more added later.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The Super 8 looks nice for an inexpensive place.
Below link has photos and takes reservations.
Could be a plan if we are too drunk to drive home,
unless we like to drive drunk.

Super 8 Torrance

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016 11:49:06

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 622 23 Next