Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink Help! Stereo System Switch Over Box

Page 1 of 1

A friend asked me to help him find a switch over box for two separate audio systems. We have both been searching the net with near zero results.

He needs to line-out audio from his laptop to either:

His conventional stereo system (amp and speakers)

Or to his active studio monitors (these have built-in amps)

It's crazy that we both can't find a simple switch box for this!

I think what you are looking for is an ab audio switch. You need a cable with mini plug from laptop headphone out to RCA plugs which connect to the switch box. Then the switch box has two stereo RCA out . google search turns up several choices.

Happy Sunsets!

Last edited: Feb 01, 2016 14:45:03

Duplicate post

Happy Sunsets!

Last edited: Feb 01, 2016 14:46:06

Thanks for the tip. We hadn't thought of using "AB" in our searches and it has brought some other devices to the top. Most of what we have seen so far are for several devices input but only one stereo output. Others are for audio visual or amp to 2 pairs of speakers.

Just examples; you might also find something simple if you search for stuff used by gamers. Regardless of how labeled, if the switching is done manually it's just establishing a connection. Even if there's a 3rd (usually yellow) video connection you don't have to use it.

Right-angle adapter cable for your computer's audio out. (Right-angle to be gentle on the flimsy output jack internals on most computers.)

Sample switch box. This one is pretty spendy but tiny footprint and does simply what you want.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Hi Wes thanks for trying to help out. We are still looking.

He is using a standalone Zoom R24 recorder + computer routed through a mixing console to conventional amp and speakers and a pair of active studio flat response speakers. Rather than continually swopping cables over to audio systems A and B it would be an advantage to use a switch box of some kind.

(your sample switchbox link) Amazon is great for customer reviews and by the looks of things a simple passive switch can introduce unwanted noise. I've seen a few other switchers with ground buttons on each in/output so I'd guess these would be to eliminate hum.

Here's a the last one he sent me, I had to laugh because it is total overkill !! JBL

crumble wrote:

Here's a the last one he sent me, I had to laugh because it is total overkill !! JBL

Agree; that's a bit much. That JBL box redefines spendy. Laughing

Passive switches don't create noise though; they're just forwarding it on for your enjoyment. The noise is there to begin with, and quite often the culprit is the cabling or the way it's routed. It's carrying or receiving something already there. I have a tiny a/b switch here in the room (also a ham station) to select between a paddle & traditional straight Morse key before going to the radio. No issues, but the runs are decent wire and no further than needed, not laying about the room acting like antennae. Might want to try the inexpensive route first however; commenters chirping about noise are sometimes folks that already have issues in their room.

Good luck. Smile

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

Passive switches don't create noise though; they're just forwarding it on for your enjoyment. The noise is there to begin with, and quite often the culprit is the cabling or the way it's routed.

That's just what we needed to know, I'll forward your advice to him. Much appreciated Thumbs Up

crumble wrote:

That's just what we needed to know, I'll forward your advice to him. Much appreciated Thumbs Up

Good luck. Doesn't mean there won't be noise; every time we think we have a solution (and introduce some more cables to fix it) it's like the dinner bell for gremlins. As the music side of the room upstairs grew I actually had to put some clamp-on ferrite chokes on a couple of things because I was getting pounded by a nearby short-wave station...
and it was bubble-gum music.

Picard Face Palm

Wes

Hope this works. Audiofiles please correct me. Can you run a mini pin cable out of the laptop terminating with stereo RCA plugs. Then run a stereo Y from each side resulting two left an two right outs these now connect to the amp and powered speakers. Lots of wire and connections but low cost if it workie.

Happy Sunsets!

My friend Roger thanks you all for your help.

We have finally found the special code word which is "Audio Switcher" !!

Wes, thanks for pointing out the SEC switch but unfortunately it is unavailable from these shores. He is going for this one eVilbay

crumble wrote:

My friend Roger thanks you all for your help.

We have finally found the special code word which is "Audio Switcher" !!

Wes, thanks for pointing out the SEC switch but unfortunately it is unavailable from these shores. He is going for this one eVilbay

Yes, perfect (and because it's not an active box it doesn't care what's an innie or an outie). That plus the little adapter type cable I mentioned before & you're in business.

Smile

Wes

Page 1 of 1