Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink South East Asia Surf Music Movement

Page 1 of 1

In the last this 15 years surf music in south east asia movement is really slow, we have looking reference surf music band around south east asia and finally there is surf rock band from Yogyakarta City - Indonesia was called The Southern Beach Terror, they were started circa 2002, they had recorded few songs for few local indie music compilations and had released split album with raw sawarge, then finally they were released full LP 12" on 2013, unfortunately they were not exist, their songs has horror theme such as their influence likes the ghastly ones. So far we didn't heard any surf rock band from another country in South East Asia, after few hours there are no surf rock band anymore, then Beertubes was established to continuing surf music in Indonesia getting exist again aftter The Southern Beach Terror disappear, Beertubes was made circa 2014 in Bandung (West Java), we already released a single cd mini album, but we are not alone in Indonesia spreading Surf Music, there are few bands lately such as The Poppies from Bali City and The Filsurf from Jakarta City, hopefully in this forum we could found another great surf band from south east asia region, and make some community so surf music scene in south east asia more bigger than before, please help us to spread surf music in south east asia, we starting from our country Indonesia

Cool stuff. I'm glad there are Indonesians who play surf. Hope there are fans too!

I couldn't help noticing that the players are all wearing coffee bean sacks over their heads in all the videos. Is it just a style thing or is there a deeper motive for anonymity. From the festival video I see there is room in Indonesia for eccentricity so I gather surf players are not subject to threats for playing 'evil' music...

The mystique of the Masked Guitar Player has a strong appeal. I saw video of the Unblack Metal band Horde playing in Finland with their heads covered in what looks like heavy wool stockings, and a local band played the Corn Fest in Morris lately with hoodies and bandanas. SC3 are well-known for their burnouses. They make a creepy spectral impression, especially playing so well while depersonalized in purdah.

Squink Out!

I guarantee that the east asian surf/instro tsunami is coming brothers.
I know how to make it happen, but I need more collaboration to make it reality.

The plan:
1. Line up venues across the region
2. Wear masks
3. Create a tour circuit

The problem:
1. The region is flooded with cover bands
2. The region is saturated with venues that don't know the difference as long as they only pay 100 USD per night.

Mike

Sharawaji Records - UK Registered Record Label Dedicated To Surf, Instro, Reverb and Twang
DripFeed.net - the Network for Surf Music Join Now
Surf Rock Radio - the World’s Number 1 Surf Music Station
Surf Music Radio - the World's Number 2 Surf Music Station
Monstromental - Pulp Horror Instro Surf Radio

Nice to see the vids there. I know a lot of guitars lately are coming out of Indonesia and good to know that people there like to play them too. Like the second vid I am wondering about the costumes in the vid they look pretty interesting. I hope you have a lot of success there.

https://soundcloud.com/dresden-conspiracy assorted instrumental tunes

So again, please tell me about the masks in the Indonesian context of surf rock.
Mike75 wrote:

I guarantee that the east asian surf/instro tsunami is coming brothers.
I know how to make it happen, but I need more collaboration to make it reality.

The plan:
1. Line up venues across the region
2. Wear masks
3. Create a tour circuit

The problem:
1. The region is flooded with cover bands
2. The region is saturated with venues that don't know the difference as long as they only pay 100 USD per night.

Mike

Squink Out!

Zhaezzy wrote:

Nice to see the vids there. I know a lot of guitars lately are coming out of Indonesia and good to know that people there like to play them too. Like the second vid I am wondering about the costumes in the vid they look pretty interesting. I hope you have a lot of success there.

on the second video , we were invited from local city (same province) government as a back musician for handmade costume parade and celebrate their city anniversary also international tourism day

JObeast wrote:

Cool stuff. I'm glad there are Indonesians who play surf. Hope there are fans too!

I couldn't help noticing that the players are all wearing coffee bean sacks over their heads in all the videos. Is it just a style thing or is there a deeper motive for anonymity. From the festival video I see there is room in Indonesia for eccentricity so I gather surf players are not subject to threats for playing 'evil' music...

The mystique of the Masked Guitar Player has a strong appeal. I saw video of the Unblack Metal band Horde playing in Finland with their heads covered in what looks like heavy wool stockings, and a local band played the Corn Fest in Morris lately with hoodies and bandanas. SC3 are well-known for their burnouses. They make a creepy spectral impression, especially playing so well while depersonalized in purdah.

that mask are our hand made, we made from rice/corn flavour sack, that's our characteristic style, in Indonesia has lots different culture and lots of different traditional mask also,we used like to our city traditional mask but if we used it for performances there will royalty responsibility to government,so we made by own style and it's become or style.By using this mask we want to give a cereal offering the art of performing as the dance performance mask from our region ( bandung-jawa the west ) but with music surf added music traditonal notes from our region

Hello beertubes, glad to see you here. I'm pretty sure in 2016 there's a lot of new comers surf band from Indonesia (so don't worry brothers, you're not alone haha) I've been watching lately some of them start playing in their region, it's pretty cool actually since we don't have any surf band before.

Umar
The Mentawais
The Rentones

Page 1 of 1