Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Surf Guitar 101 Convention #8, Sat. Aug. 8th 2015, pics, videos and reviews starting on page 11

Goto Page: Previous 1 213 14 15 16 17 Next

My videos of the Longboards from the convention.

-Darren

Is there enough for me and KFJC to have one? Thanks!

bigtikidude wrote:

mom_surfing wrote:

CaliforniaMaxx wrote:

Every band there was awesome... Especially els A Phonics. Too bad I wasn't able to get a CD from them.

they sold out with 2 people in front of me in line....darn it

Carol, we have a few extra they left us after Tiki Oasis.
Send me a email with your Mailing address and I'll send you one.

Got ya covered Mary!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

My videos of Moonbase from the convention.

-Darren

I think my dad spent about $200 in raffle tickets. We won so many CDs that I began to get embarrassed walking up to get my prizes! If anyone would like a CD (or copy) from the raffle drawings they wanted, PM me. I have them in the computer so I'm happy to ship someone a CD. Smile

Ok I posted these under the surf video thread. I did not see that I was supposed to put them here. So here goes, I know there is a lot of duplicates sorry about that,I think I was farther back than most of the other cameras so you get a wider view.

Surf Jams

Last edited: Sep 03, 2015 20:25:59

Jim Messina & The Jesters Tribute

this (jesters tribute) was so good Yes

www.surfintheeye.com

It's always so cool seeing Paul Johnson stroll around giving the thumbs up to bands.

I still have photos and notes to post. Can't do it this weekend as I'm attending the Madeira shows! Hope to get to that soon. Thanks everyone else for posting videos and photos.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I apologize for such a late response and would just like to express my utmost gratitude to Jeff for ALL of the work he puts into the convention and surrounding shows. We were so unbelievably honored to be a part of it this year and I appreciate BTD taking a chance on us and apologize for being such a pain in the ass that weekend, but he handled everything with such class. A huge thanks to Emilio and Ran as well, those guys put in a TON of work behind the scenes and we were all grateful to have them whether we knew or not.

It was so nice to see so many friends again as well as meet new ones. I only wish I could have had more time to spend with everyone but guess that's just the way these things go most of the time. The band was a little concerned with how we would be received at the convention this year because we feel on the periphery of surf at times and are still pretty small time, especially when compared to the other bands that were there. But the response was overwhelmingly positive and thanks to so many of you for your encouragement.

Friday at Rock & Brews was great after a day of some touristy sight seeing and record shopping with Jamie (The Mystery Men?) and Bob (The Surf King) and the Purple Orchid afterwards was an absolute blast. The Longboards seemed to just exude good times all weekend and boy did it rub off on everyone else. Not to mention, their music kicks total ass. It was my first time getting to see the Insects with Michael Abraham whose playing is just so unreal.

The highlights on Saturday for me definitely The Tomorrowmen and Davie Allan. It was great to see The Tomorrowmen three days in a row where each performance differed greatly. They were a ton of fun Friday but Saturday they were a little more serious and just absolutely transcendent. I love them on record but live they just completely floored me. I had been looking forward to Davie Allan since the announcement and was a little worried I might be setting myself up for disappointment and of course, it exceeded my expectations. They were tight, made a hell of a lot of noise and filled so much space for just a trio, and of course when the double neck came out everyone, including myself, just went nuts. The Eliminators were quite a nice surprise as well as I guess I just didn't know what to expect.

Never mind the fact that Tikiyaki played in a smaller configuration at the after party, they were absolutely fabulous and really do just transport you to another world. Their new record is just fantastic, by the way and if you don't have it, please do yourself a favor and pick up a copy. Speaking of which, I left California with a ridiculous amount of music and mostly on vinyl to boot!

On Sunday at the pier I found myself enjoying Los Venturas and Els A-Phonics much more than the day before. It's funny how seeing a band in that environment can change your perspective. I was sad to miss Outerwave and a good bit of the jam at the wind down but it was great to catch up with Jonpaul, Dave, Danny, Ivan, Marie, Eric, and everyone else (Brian, sorry we didn't get to chat much but hopefully this weekend!) as we chowed down at Slater's 50/50.

I'm almost certain I'm forgetting quite a bit as it's almost been a month but it's been happening down here in Atlanta ever since and we're gearing up for our own festival, of course The Mystery Men? are hitting the road this weekend so hopefully we'll get to see some of you. I'm REALLY looking forward to coming out to SG101 next year as just a spectator and possibly even staying a little longer.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Was my pleasure having you Guys chad.
You guys were awesome, I'm glad that I chose you.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

My videos of Boss Fink from the convention

And my videos of The Volcanics from the convention

Some photos of Los Venturas from the pier show the next day. These guys played a slick, suave set of guitar/organ instrumentals. I really enjoyed them.

The last photo has Christoph (Boost) fooling around with some crazy gadget mounted to his guitar. Does anyone know what is? It was almost like a toy organ.

Brian, Please excuse this double post (also in video topics)

Did I miss the video of the member jam of "BAJA"?

Happy Sunsets!

I don't think there was time for Baja? I don't remember it happening.

Yep they skipped Baja in the jams because of time.

Here are the Paul Johnson & Friends set at the convention. I never know whether to post my videos when there are already videos of the same performance. But here goes anyway.

Paul Johnson & Friends

Moonbase Set

Thanks Guy! Great seeing you a few days ago!

Paul Johnson sounded really good that day, backed by a really capable band.

Goto Page: Previous 1 213 14 15 16 17 Next