Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 241 42 43 44 45135 136 Next

Nice idea , Björn .
Can you show us the whole system assembled?

Off Topic

I found this photo when I was testing the rig before putting it into the cabinet.
I must say that the tube amp and the Grado headphones really contribute to the old atmosphere Big Grin

Last edited: Jun 08, 2015 23:23:12

bjoish wrote:

JObeast wrote:

KB,
The metal tank that houses a reverb spring transducer unit is plenty shielding. I'm sure it was designed with that in mind: protecting springs and all from vibration and electromagnetic fields.

Yes, I in my latest build I used the pan to shield the circuit board below.
You might need to experiment to decide how much shielding you need.

What kind of mods did you add ?

warioblast wrote:

Hi

Here are two prototypes I have built for showcase at the Reverb Event at the Surfer Joe Summer Festival.

Inspired by suggestions and comments on this forum I have added some new features to the FET Reverb:
- True Bypass
- Two switchable Mixer-settings
- Relay switching.
- Volume control
- Buffered output
- C10 easy access

And a Decay pot – controlling the length of reverb tail!

imageimage

Last edited: Jun 09, 2015 15:59:49

That's a sweet looking thin-rig Smile

Shock fantastic!

That's slick !

How did you electrically control the decay time? I wouldn't have believed that possible with a mechanical tank.

Last edited: Jun 09, 2015 22:32:45

bjoish wrote:

Here are two prototypes I have built for showcase at the Reverb Event at the Surfer Joe Summer Festival.

Inspired by suggestions and comments on this forum I have added some new features to the FET Reverb:
- True Bypass
- Relay switching.
- Volume control
- Buffered output
- C10 easy access

imageimage

Surfy Bear "2.0" is really looking impressive. (Love those enclosures!)
Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Nice upgrades Bjorn! so the double-pot for the mixer is one gain for dry and one for wet?
and you managed to find a good way to "gate" the reverb naturally? (sometimes simple gates are quite brutal and tends to cut too quickly...squared volume drop)
The R3 will be updated to R5 soon? i wanted to order another R3 but maybe it's better to wait for the new generation?
Respect.

https://soundcloud.com/anti-bypass

Thanks a lot Smile

This is so far only an experiment.
I have spent tooooo much time on this build. I am probably mad Duh
Looking forward to get some feedback at Surfer Joes!

The double pot makes it possible to have two mixer settings that can be selected using the foot switch.

Yes, to 'gate' the reverb tail in a natural way is not easy. I have tried 5 circuits before I got something that sounds good.
The basic idea for the Decay control is simple; a voltage controlled amp added after the Tone pot and triggered by the guitar signal.
Ocoughi, you are right! Noise gates are normally brutal and have a squared volume drop. I use a 'precision' envelope detector for the VCA that follows the guitar signal even at low levels. And for adding a more natural touch, a small amount of the original reverb tail is added to the output signal.
I will publish the schematics on my site when I get the time Smile

I dont think there will be a new board replacing the r4.
Possibly there will be additional boards for the new features.

See you at the Reverb Seminar at Surfer Joes, SATURDAY 20 JUNE, 14.30 - 15.30 !

I want the surf Green White one

Wow, that's really cool! Does the pan crash when you hit the foot switches?

MelWaldorf wrote:

Wow, that's really cool! Does the pan crash when you hit the foot switches?

Thats an interesting question.
Initially I thought this was a problem so I added 'soft touch' (momentary) switches. A side effect of adding the decay feature is that when not playing, the sound from the springs are somewhat attenuated. This reduces the risk for unintentionally pan crashes.

I wouldn't step on those beauties.

bjoish , I read your description but don't comprehend what you said. Smile I'm going to have to become an electrical engineer to talk to you. That's ok because I love learning new things. Smile

bjoish wrote:

I have spent tooooo much time on this build.

You should clear your head with a Fet Tremolo project Big Grin

The Surfy Bear was the clear winner in the Reverb Seminar at SJSF, as a tank alternative. With the added new features (dual mix, decay control) it has some ingenious added value. People were standing in line to buy the prototypes, and both were sold.
I bought a kit, of course, but not sure when will I get around to putting it together.
Bjorn has done a great service for the surf music community, and is an awesome guy as well.

Ran

The Scimitars

kick_the_reverb wrote:

The Surfy Bear was the clear winner in the Reverb Seminar at SJSF, as a tank alternative. With the added new features (dual mix, decay control) it has some ingenious added value. People were standing in line to buy the prototypes, and both were sold.
I bought a kit, of course, but not sure when will I get around to putting it together.
Bjorn has done a great service for the surf music community, and is an awesome guy as well.

Ran

"Bjorn 2.0" or "How a Surfy Bear Ate the Festival Crowd"

This newest iteration definitely has my attention.
(And liking the enclosures they were in for the SJSF hasn't diminished.)

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Here's mine. I don't know if I'll leave it as is or paint it or whatever. Big Grin

Last edited: Jul 05, 2015 16:13:32

bjoish wrote:

warioblast wrote:

Hi

- True Bypass
- Relay switching.
- Volume control
- Buffered output
- C10 easy access

imageimage

i was about to pull the trigger on a surfy bear kit till i saw this, are these going to be features available in a future model? should i wait until that model comes out?

http://dinosaurghost.bandcamp.com/
http://sixtycyclehum.podbean.com

Goto Page: Previous 1 241 42 43 44 45135 136 Next