Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink New Book: "Southern California Surf Music, 1960-1966"

Goto Page: Previous 1 26 7 8 9 10 Next

you know you want one!

josheboy wrote:

GET THOSE FILTHY NASTY NO GOOD DIRTY GIBSONS OFF OF THIS FORUM!!!!

Stir the Pot Big Grin Big Razz

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

Bump from the previous page:

IvanP wrote:

John told me that he'll doing a short presentation and a book signing at the L.A. Public Library tomorrow (Saturday), the first one of what should be a few over the coming weeks. Hope some SG101ers can go provide some moral support, and spread the word with the newbies in the audience. Wish I could be there!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Author Program: Southern California Surf Music, 1960-1966, by John Blair.

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

Thanks, Emilio!

My review now on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Southern-California-1960-1966-Images-America/product-reviews/1467133205/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_see_all_top?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=byRankDescending

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Thumbs Up Eloquent as always Professor! Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Great job on the review ivan! much appreciated..
Just think if someone wrote a book on all the newer surf groups up to now.
I'm starting chapter 4 now of this book it's history.

I'd love to see it become available as a hardcover, coffee table size book with color photos. I'd get another copy.

Got my copy today! Read it cover to cover in one sitting! Fun and fast read! Puts you right there. Awesome job. John!!!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

bigtikidude wrote:

Any SG101-ers make it to this yesterday? How was it?

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I couldn't make it, had to take my GF to a Funeral.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Three people showed up on Saturday. No SG101'ers. However, there were many distractions. Mainly sports on TV all day long, but also protest marchers in the streets. Then, there's always the downtown Los Angeles parking issues that may have kept some folks away. C'est la vie. Next scheduled book signing will be in La Jolla (near San Diego for the non-locals) on May 24th. They were talking about possibly having a surf band appear, too. More information as the date nears.

This morning, the book is at #51,936 on the Amazon.com best seller list. Smile

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

And don't forget, John will be the very special guest live in the studio next Saturday, May 9 from 2-4PM on Fiberglass Jungle on www.luxuriamusic.com!

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

I might be able to make the La Jolla one,
And might be able to talk some SD area people into going.
Please post more info

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I am not one to pass out praise, but more in the "busting balls" frat category, however, having either performed or danced at most of the venues Blair mentioned in his new book, I would be remiss for failing to acknowledge that: Mr. Blair did a mighty fine job of describing, in detail, what it was like to be in a First Wave surf band in 1962. He even did a good job acknowledging many of the surf bands from the IE, although many of us spent the summers of 61-63 performing on the Colorado River at the Island A Go Go and other similar venues in Parker, AZ. I guess we played River Music. lol

Good job, John.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017 21:36:18

John wrote:

Three people showed up on Saturday. No SG101'ers. However, there were many distractions. Mainly sports on TV all day long, but also protest marchers in the streets. Then, there's always the downtown Los Angeles parking issues that may have kept some folks away. C'est la vie. Next scheduled book signing will be in La Jolla (near San Diego for the non-locals) on May 24th. They were talking about possibly having a surf band appear, too. More information as the date nears.

This morning, the book is at #51,936 on the Amazon.com best seller list. Smile

John can you tell me which bookstore and what time (when you can of course) in La Jolla ,I'd love to go . Thanks for the great book !

I read the book. I'm ready for the interview this weekend. Smile

Memories......
Enjoyed the adds for dances/stomps/concerts included admission prices. While the admission price was about $1.00, in some cases admission was 75 cents stag and $1 drag (with a date). Imagine those kinds of prices today? Times and prices have changed.

Happy Sunsets!

Times have surely changed: Back in the day, for instance 1962, bands only had their amps for instruments, no extra speakers, and a Bogen amp hooked up to a couple Altecs for the microphone.

A much simpler time.

The post-book-reading comments in this thread are telling. There are those who will have this book because they're collecting the series, there are anthropologists who want to study the 'why' (and are still unlikely to get it). And there are those (many here) for whom this book evokes a sea-swell of fond memories that washes away what has come since & may be lurking in dark corners, and simply brings out a complete era when things were just damned near perfect for awhile.

Others may have different reactions but, for me, that is the litmus test of what is greatness when found in a book such as this one.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Goto Page: Previous 1 26 7 8 9 10 Next