Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
147 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Jaguar players: how do you approach the third verse of "Penetration"?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I've learned my first-ever surf song: "Penetration"! But, the third verse begins on the 22nd fret - - and of course the Jag has only 21 frets. As I learned the song, I just played that third verse as the first verse.

Anybody have a different approach to this part? Thanks!

The Reverbivores - we're local favorites!

The song was recorded in F sharp,
Playing the E, and F sharp notes on the low E string
But then the recording was sped up,
So play everything down a half step, and the high note will be on the 21st fret.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Erm... Jaguars have 22 frets. So, you actually CAN play that high note on a Jaguar - but not on a Strat (which was the lead instrument on the original track) or a Jazzmaster.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Well, shows what I know about guitars n frets,
But the story of the recording being sped up is true.
Play it in Fsharp everybody,
Your rhythm n bass player will love you.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Well, that's embarrassing - I miscounted as I was working through the tab. Uh-Oh Two words: poor math skills.

Yes, Jeff, you're absolutely right. The song was written and recorded in F#, and played on a Strat, so the highest note played was actually a C# in the original, not D.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

SpaceTimC wrote:

Well, that's embarrassing - I miscounted as I was working through the tab. Uh-Oh Two words: poor math skills.

Smile It happens, no worries. But the good news is that you can play now that high note! Have fun!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

It's actually F#m, but we used to be play it in Gm like this dude for years. Now we play it in F#m again just for jokes and giggles. Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c-zr4s0ENo

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

Meanwhile, the Ventures played it in A - go figure.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder wrote:

Those traitors!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

To quote the great Tom Morello: "If you wanna rock hard, go for F#."

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

DannySnyder wrote:

That's because The Ventures are NOT a surf band. Ducks and takes cover... Smile

Los Fantasticos

I'm rather sure the Ventures evolved from the Am key to Gm. I have books from Japan with both keys - but mostly in Gm. So I learned the tune in Gm. Then I heard the lore of the speed up from F#m on the Pyramids' version.
So, F#m, Gm ?? - easy enough fix. I just play it in both keys. Not too hard - just modulate up to Gm from F#m at the start of a new verse or do a turnaround to Gm when you hit the F#(m) at the chorus' end.
Luckily, Mosrites come standard with 22 frets so that high 'D' in Gm is doable if you want it.
Boys and girls - Don't try this at home on a 21 fret Strat or Jazzmaster.

J Mo'

Hrm, playing it in F# instead of G makes way more sense for the rhythm guitar part.

From
D---0---0-
A---------
E-3---1---

To
A---4---4-
E-2---0---

Makes sense?

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015 08:22:53

Yep, I play the rhythm part in our band and it - to my ears - sounds better/more organic in F#m and it simply 'rolls' more easily.
The middle part makes a lot more sense, too (IMO).
B - A - G - A - B - A - G - F#m
vs.
C - A# - G# - A# - C - A# - G# - Gm
I think our next album is called Bagabag...

The Hicadoolas

Last edited: May 01, 2015 04:09:24

SanchoPansen wrote:

I think our next album is called Bagabag...

Haha!!!
Our next one is called CA#A#A#CA#G#Gm maybe.

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

JohnnyMosrite wrote: Mosrites come standard with 22 frets so that high 'D' in Gm is doable if you want it.

Boys and girls - Don't try this at home on a 21 fret Strat or Jazzmaster.

J Mo'

I prefer playing it on the Jag with the 22nd fret, but also play it on the Jazzmaster by playing on the fingerboard extension w/o the fret. The pitch is okay, and I play the entire phrase 'plucky' -- just as if it were a fretless viola --and let the reverb substitute for actual sustain.

The sound is a bit different than the record, but that is not as issue for me. Musically it works and to me that is all that matters.

-don

Still rockin' after all these years!

Duceditor,
I've been in a position where I did the arrangement I previously mentioned (playing in both F#M and Gm) on a 21 fret Telecaster. (the dive I was in was no place for a class act guitar like a Mosrite) The high 'D' was OK with a harmonic or a muted note. It's just nothing I'd make a habit out of. I can see your point on the Jaguar, but I've never owned one. I've tried a few Jags- but I just didn't like the plinkie short scale and the knob and control overload. It just complicates a cup of coffee in my opinion.
But that's just me..
J Mo'

Wow! I'm amazed to see all the responses to a thread by an idiot who couldn't count to 22!

IvanP wrote:

Erm... Jaguars have 22 frets. So, you actually CAN play that high note on a Jaguar - but not on a Strat (which was the lead instrument on the original track) or a Jazzmaster.

Why can't we play it on a Strat? My Strat has 22 frets. For the record, I play it the way Bruce from YouTube plays it. Which key is that? BTW, does he post on this forum?

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next