Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Eddie "Mr. Rebel" Bertrand in the news

Goto Page: Previous 1 210 11 12 13 14

Bumping this thread in honor of Eddie.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

I just read the whole thing. Great read. I know I'm late to the party.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Ivan took this thread and edited into an interview, which appears in the Continental Magazine #21 from Double Crown Records. It really is an amazing piece that will be sought after by surf music enthusiasts for years to come.

You can get your copy at http://www.doublecrownrecords.com/

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013 07:40:51

Thanks, Brian. Obviously all the info in the article is already in this thread, but it's really disjointed and jumbled up with a lot of 'noise', so it's not easy to read. I tried to keep all the incredible info that Eddie revealed in his answers to our members' questions, but make it much better organized, with all the fat cut out, and ultimately much more readable. I hope people will enjoy it. I'm particularly happy with how the gear section turned out - I think it answers pretty much all major questions that people ever had about what guitar and amp Eddie was using at which point of the Belairs and the Showmen.

Long live Eddie's music!!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Just catching up on some site reading & serendipity struck to bring some memory cells together. Long way 'round the barn but I had to get this down. Never met Eddie but I miss him alot, dunno... sometimes you don't see things till after someone's left early.

Early '70 maybe I was home on leave and hadn't been listening to much music except the boring krap that AFN broadcast; anyone interesting must've been viewed as subversive I guess. Anyway, hooked up with a buddy & we were doing what we should have been - cruising Van Nuys Blvd. on a Wednesday night. He had this big old Hudson he'd restored; it was so ugly it was cool (and the back seat was bigger than alot of motel rooms, if you get my drift).

Now he was a betting fool and always took people literally. So he pops in this 8-track of Zeppelin's first album for me and yells, "Betcha a burger you've never heard ANYTHING like this." (Mostly I'd been focused on staying alive so this 8-track in the Hudson was already a step up.) The tape keyed on Communication Breakdown which, on the 8-track original, had a long police siren before the intro signature riff. So I said, "cut over to my house" which was just 3 blocks down, off Burbank Blvd.

I dug into my older sister's records, fired up Mom's (new to us) Magnavox Stereophonic record player (tubes!) & played Squad Car. He got a funny look in his eye 'cause that betting blade cuts both ways. "I like cheese on mine, but I'll pay for the Coke." Yessir, Bob's Big Boy was the place to be on Wednesday nights.

So Eddie, wherever you are, thanks for the burger man. It was delicious in more ways than one. Thumbs Up

Just wanted to get that down 'cause it's not often the stars align in my brain. Damn.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Goto Page: Previous 1 210 11 12 13 14