Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink DD using the Boss FRV-1 pedal??

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

da-ron, DD did not use a reverb pedal, check out the rest of the thread, it was just a misunderstanding.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

DD had pedals but I never got close enough to see 'em real good. Aren't the boss tuners white? And the fulltone ocd pedal is white -I think and I didn't see one. Or a volume pedal. Both stages were rickety as hell and he probably had the tank hung somewhere. I never saw the volume pedal. The wireless was sitting on his amp heads and they were on a shelf not on top of the cabs.
I thought I saw the FRV-1 on the stage by his feet and my wife says he was all over the pedals--she has seen me use pedals. What I thought was a FRV-1 wasn't. I could hear reverb that's for sure. I thought it was the boss unit, telling myself it's lighter and smaller than a tank, more reliable and convienent. I was disappointed in not being able to show my wife the tank but it didn't bother me at all that he may have been using a reverb pedal!! I was enjoying the shows!! The 2013 May concert was the first concert I had been to in 25 years maybe. The 2014 April concert was less than a month after we moved to the beach and retired,
I was a supremely happy dude!! I had retired on April Fool's day, loaded up a moving van, closed my house sale and headed to our condo in Gulf Shores. Anyway, I was happy nuts for awhile there.
Drank 2 beers by the time Dick came on and I had taken my blood pressure meds before we drove over to Pensacola--I was buzzing good. I rarely drink at all but I made an exception for the event. The overhead lights on stage were multicolored and flashing and rotating around, after playing in bands during the psychedelic era, it was a reminder of my past.
In essence--I never saw a tank but I heard reverb.
I assumed I had seen (in my f-d up state)
a Boss FRV-1 pedal on stage at 2 events.
I reported that I had seen DD twice using a reverb pedal.
I was wrong both times in a sense but I reported what I saw
in my f
-d up state.
Understand? Big misunderstanding!

DD was the first guitarist I ever saw live--not on tv. I don't remember which pier it was on but it was 1962 maybe 1963. He played the guitar backwards from everyone else in the band, played loud and fast! He hit me like a ton of bricks!! So cool, so primal!! I felt the wave!!
Then the Beatles came and surf began to fade. My parents had gotten me a record player and a guitar and 45's and albums from surf bands. And we got shipped from socal to north Carolina and surf died.
For me surf came back with the Pulp Fiction movie--I heard the DD yell at the beginning of Miserlou and it was like I'd been hit by lightning!!
So, DD is pretty popular in my family. My grown kids heard the music growing up and my son helped me find surf on the internet. I am so glad I heard Miserlou that night. Turned my little world around!!
So whatever DD wants to play thru it's fine with me. Just be Dick Dale!! Cheers

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

The Boss tuner shares a shape with the FRV-1. But with the boss tuner being white, it often looks reddish/orangish/yellowish on stage due to lighting.

Note to self--it's OK to let it go now! As Danny said order has been restored to the universe! Chill Dad, Chill!!

This looks like it's probably the gold box Sam is referring to here.

Stormtiger wrote:

From Sam Bolle (Dick's bass player) seconds ago:
Absolutely false. For a few shows he was using a reissue reverb tank while his main tank was in the shop, and about 3 years ago he was using a custom reverb "pedal", though it was a very large gold box- no way couldn't be mistaken for a regular pedal. He HAS been using a Shure wireless, which might be mistaken as a reverb pedal, but he ALWAYS plays through the tank. I actually had it at my house a few weeks ago, getting it repaired!

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

With some alchohol, blood pressure medicine and LSD that could possibly look like a Boss pedal.

Maybe he just puts that shit up there to drive people on internet fora crazy.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

That box!
From CrucialAudio site:

Dick Dale has been spotted with our soon to be released Genie Reverb unit. Dick used our proto-type vacuum tube springless reverb on the European and American legs of his 2010 World Tour.

So while we're on it, just marketing?
Because if there's no springs in that box, there's a chip.
Their products are huge and expensive. Tube everything. Some tasty looking delays!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015 14:29:36

Wait a minute, what's this??

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Killers from Space

That looks photoshop'd.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Poorly photoshopped, I might add. Wink

Badger wrote:

That looks photoshop'd.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Killers from Space

skeeter wrote:

What is it? I believe it's called slander.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Brian wrote:

stratdancer wrote:

I stood right next to it in July.

The FRV-1 or the reverb unit?

Sorry I missed this earlier. It was the tank.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

skeeter wrote:

That is hilarious! Laughing

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Stormtiger! I wasn't on LSD!! 2 corona beers and a 25MG Carvedilol
was all it took for me. Had the same mix at both events.

Picard Face Palm

The amp heads are blonde?? My wife thought they were brown, I thought they were black. White knobs too. Man.. Stupid is as stupid does!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2