Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Moments of Truth EP by West Samoa Surfer League – Review by Noel

Page 1 of 1

Moments of Truth EP by West Samoa Surfer League – Review by Noel

One comment I hear sometimes from musicians is that they wish their recording sounded as exciting as their live performances. This is not one of those records. It’s not just that I’m playing it very loud (empty house). I’ve done that before without the same results. This is different, like playing a Stratocaster with its’ volume on 10. It becomes like a living thing. The EP has a very dynamic sound, the way a band sounds when they can turn all their gear up to 10 and play as hard as they want. This record has that feeling. That energy is also part of the performances recorded here. This is aggressive surf music. I like it.

I asked Falko some questions about the recording and production of Moments of Truth, and this is what he told me. “We recorded live in our reheasal room. We leave all Bass and drums and (some) rhythm guitar tracks. The remaining guitars are overdubbed. Torsten played them in his garage - that´s why we´re a Garage Band. However, gear: drums - Gretsch Catalina jazzkit from 2011, bass - Fender Precision, Amp - Dynacord Imperator - a German end 60s hybrid - cabinet "Vox" Foundation 1x 18" from 1962. Guitars: Jag and JM (Japan) - Amp - from an Amp Builder nearby, 2x10", tube - Torsten´s self constucted Reverb Tank - Effectboard (Overdrive, Tremolo etc.). Mix: Did the same guy as the SPACE RANGERS (Butch Mezger). Mastering: the same guy as the SPACE RANGERS too (Eroc). Never change a winning team.”

Right from the beginning of the first tune, Moment of Truth, it rawked my house. Falko told me, “… it's a whole bit rougher than the SPACE RANGERS stuff. Well, Torsten comes from Punk Rock...” This is traditional surf music played take no prisoners-style. Whew! No rest for the weary. The drums never let up their driving beat, the bass is fast and seems to be begging the drums for more. The guitar playing? My right arm got tired just listening. The performances are top-notch, their interplay is alive.

And then comes What Would Takeshi Kovacs Do? Like Eleki? I do. They nail it down and it doesn’t get away. The crunchy muted glissandos here are instantly recognizable and the tone of the guitars are spot-on. Catchy tune, infectious playing, perfect sound. Great!

A bit of relief comes in the form of the slower Point Zero. But the melody and mood contain undeniable menace. But at least I don’t have to jump around the room dancing to it. Did I mention how danceable the previous tunes are? Do you know how difficult it is to type while dancing? Irresistible. Anyway, back to Point Zero. Deep tremolo on one guitar, drippy reverb on the other. Edgy noir surf. Really cool.

So is Pintor which adds something latinish in the bass rhythm to the noir feeling. It and the remaining tracks, Sringer and Point Zero Reprise, continue the slower surf-noir feeling. Not as furious as the first tracks but played hard, expertly and with lots of energy and high production values.

I could go on and on about this record, but you get the idea. This is terrific surf music with a lot to offer the listener. It’s not as traditionally played and sounding as some though it easily could have been, and not as musically out there on the farthest boundaries of surf as others. Very cool! The record just sounds great.

According to their Facebook band page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Samoa-Surfer-League/251165138296128?fref=ts#!/pages/West-Samoa-Surfer-League/251165138296128?id=251165138296128&sk=info) West Samoa Surfer League are Falko Tomaszek – drums, Daniel Kutter - bass guitar, Torsten Winzel – guitar and Ralph Senese – guitar. Hi Ralph! Ralph isn’t on this EP. When asked, where’s Ralph, Falko told me, “That´s a good question...I think he was pretty busy with his 35 bands haha....I thought he was with us!”

Torsten is on SG101 as LeoD http://surfguitar101.com/profile/view/LoeD/
Daniel is on SG101 as evildan http://surfguitar101.com/profile/view/Evildan/
Ralph is on SG101 as rattlesnakeraplh http://surfguitar101.com/profile/view/rattlesnakeralph/

WSSL are on Facebook here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Samoa-Surfer-League/251165138296128?fref=ts#!/pages/West-Samoa-Surfer-League/251165138296128?fref=ts

Find their music here
http://songpier.com/west-samoa-surfer-league

To order the EP, go here and send a PM request to Torsten Winzel
https://www.facebook.com/Hallmakenreuther?fref=ts

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013 14:51:42

wheehee Noel,
thank you very very much for that review!
We really appreciate that.
there´s nothing more to add - oh did I say thank you already?
thanks!
LoeD

here comes the WEST SAMOA SURFER LEAGUE

Maybe it looks like I am very late with my review but I got this EP only on December 6th, 2014. I had no idea where to buy it - maybe many people don´t buy any longer silver discs so Eddy Luca from Holland stopped offering them (I had ordered regularly from him for years).
Last summer I had talked about the WSSL with Lorenzo in Livorno and he told me that this is not a regular release, "only" a cdr. He contacted Falko and as mentioned above I got my copy two weeks ago.
Being a collector of the surf music records for over 40 years I heard "Moment Of Truth" by The Original Surfaris on one of the VA LPs from 1963.
The guitars are exploding in a traditional surf sound - what a billiant opener for this cd (by the way, on both Lps it is also the starting track!)
Further cover versions of "Pintor" originally released by The Pharos on DelFi in 1963 and "Stringer" by Bobby Fuller & The Fanatics from 1963 released on the Todd label are brilliant done using the technic possibilities of 2013!!
Falko told me that the CD is sold at concerts or can be ordered via Facebook or directly from him. It costs 5 €.

Falko´s email adrfess is:
sterndynamic@t-online.de

A MUST for all fans of good old traditional surfing sounds done nowadays.

The group plans a new CD EP with 6 new songs for release in May 2015.
Ruediger from Germany

Well-written Noel (as usual). The mention of Point Zero piqued my interest, wondering if it was a slower cover of the title tune of The Atlantics' album. This one is not, and it's beautiful, Pintor as well is great. I'm gonna be getting this when done filling the Christmas tree this year. What a great sound this band has.

Thanks again for covering this stuff.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Got it! Really a nice piece of Surf Music.

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

in the email adress there was a little typing mistake:
it is sterndynamik@t-online.de
written with a k instead of a c.
There is a possibility that the West Samoa Surfer League will
come to the SJ Festival 2015.
Another reason to come down to Livoro next year in June!!
"Point Zero" and "What Would Takeshi Kovac Do?" are both own compositions by the band.
Ruediger

LoeD told me the band had broken up recently.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

yes that´s true, the original set up broke up, but we are trying to get a new bass player to continue. We will announce any news here @SG101.
LoeD

LoeD wrote:

yes that´s true, the original set up broke up, but we are trying to get a new bass player to continue. We will announce any news here @SG101.
LoeD

I hope you are successful very soon. All the best! And I look forward to more music from WSSL after that.

LoeD wrote:

LoeD

Hi everybody,
to clarify some things that might be confusing:
We are at present searching for a new bass player, because our current one
announced a few weeks ago, that he will only be playing with us until summer 2015.

Until then we will continue as before. We book shows and - fingers crossed - might even record some stuff.

regards
LoeD

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014 08:01:16

WinstonHollen wrote:

wow...it's so nice of you to write this review!! thank you sososo much!

You are very welcome. Welcome to sg101! Very glad you're here.

Page 1 of 1