Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink It’s a…THING! By the Surf Zombies CD Review by Noel

Page 1 of 1

It’s a…THING! By the Surf Zombies CD Review by Noel

Formed in 2006, the Surf Zombies hail from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, which is about as far from the ocean as it’s possible to be. But the Surf is strong in this quartet of excellent musicians. “It’s a… THING!” is their fourth CD, following “Lust for Rust” which came out in 2012. Being prolific, creative surf artists, the Surf Zombies have 31 new songs ready to record. Be on the lookout for a lot of vinyl in 2015.

There are fourteen songs on “It’s a THING!” of which six are longer than three minutes. So it takes a while to listen to the entire album, which is a very good thing. Because this music is deep, resonant, and creative, containing sounds and feelings which vary appreciably, not only between songs but within songs. There’s a lot to hear, here. Yet all that variety makes it seem as if the time just flies by too quickly.

The Bertlemann Slide
Surfing legend Larry Bertlemann changed surfing and skateboarding with his unique style and technique, fast, crouched low on his board with a hand down skimming whatever surface was under him. It was a style people immediately tried to copy. It was even given its own name. And, now, it’s been given its own song. “The Bertlemann Slide” perfectly captures the energy and motion of Larry’s surfing. It’s fast, changes direction with seeming whimsy, yet in total control. It’s a short, fast, wild ride. It’s a “Top that!” surf song.

Candyass
This is no candyass of a song. It starts with a brief, powerful and fast intro that gets repeated later in the song, and also serves as the outro. I love the way the bass and lead guitar double each other at various times – something I find very musical and pleasing. Add a playful melody just for fun; it’s catchy and cheerful, really delightful. The overall effect puts me in a very good mood. It’s one of my favorite’s on the entire album. I wonder who this song is about?

Martian Beach
There are beaches on Mars. Did the Martian oceans have surf? Did anyone, or anything, surf the waves of the beaches of Mars? Someone ought to film a Martian Beach surf movie. Considering the low gravity, getting tossed by a wave could result in a very long, high flight before coming down somewhere else altogether. Cowabungaaaa…….aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! If I needed a song for the band to play in a scene from my new Martian Beach Party movie, I’d use this song. Just look at all the good looking, green, scaly, spindly Martian teenagers dancing! Where’s Annette, Donna, and Candy? ... … Oh!

The Creeper
A perfect title for a better horror film than any made using this name, or the weird comic book character for that matter, this creeper delivers the goods. It’s a terrific song for a Halloween party, or any scary social occasion. In case anyone’s wondering, it’s is not a cover of the old song of the same name recorded by The Ventures. This creeper really is creepy. In a good way. It just may be my favorite song here.

Mako Shark
A mako is a one fast, slick shark. They are very graceful and nice to look at. But they are highly territorial are easily annoyed by surfers who get in their water, which is just about everywhere. I’m glad they now have their own song. Great whites have had that ominous theme music from some old film or other for a long while. It suits them. This song suits mako sharks very well. It kind of hangs around, circling, and then comes right to the point. “Hey! You! Get outta my water!” the song seems to say on behalf of all makos, everywhere. But really, “Mako Shark” is a fine surf song, and you won’t mind having it hang around your stereo.

Tophat
This surf rocker really rocks. Hard! It’s a genuine head-banging, in your face, surfer’s stomper of a song. It’s got a gritty, rough and tumble sound and feel that melts faces. It’s such a pure surf-rock song that it seems to say, “Top that!” I can’t. Just turn up your gear to “destroy your speakers”, and let it rip.

Samurai Shakedown
Personally, I’d be afraid to shakedown a samurai. But I like “Samurai Shakedown” anyway. I especially like… everything about it. Like many songs on this album, it’s great surf music for the sake of being great surf music. Pure music, if you like. If it says anything, it says to go forth and surf-out! It’s definitely music to dance to, or for watching surf films. But dancing. Definitely dancing.

Locals Only
Take a break from the fast-paced songs that drench the earlier half of the album, “Locals Only” starts out like a nice easy ride. Smooth and mellow, and with a delicious bass line that effects the whole mood with a quiet calm. And then, suddenly, when you least expect it, out bursts a blast of heavy surf that crashes down on you. That was fun, and it happens twice. Repeat until stoked! It’s not just for locals only, let everyone enjoy it.

Green Sticky
Another song perfectly suited to a monster mash. “Green Sticky” just oozes wonderful tone. It’s got a voodoo bass lead to die for, a cool rhythm guitar with a reggae bounce, and a bluesy guitar lead that turns into a break streaked with a sinister, dark and ultimately searing sound and feel. This song really sticks to your ribs like whatever that was roasting on the fire. It’s what all the monster surfers will be dancing to next year. Okay, this is definitely my favorite song on the record.

My Fingers Hurt
If I could play “My Fingers Hurt” my fingers would hurt, too. This song is just too cool. It’s fast, very danceable, catchy, musically whimsical. The song turns on a dime and gives nine cents change, and then starts the fun all over again. It’s surf music just for the sake of the sheer fun of it. It makes me smile every time I play it.

Rock N Roll Apeman
Do the Apeman! It’s the latest dance craze. You jump and bounce to and fro, and wave your arms all around. (Don’t hit anyone!) At under 1:30, this is a short song. I think that’s for the safety of everyone on the dance floor. This is good old-fashioned rock. If you want more, you can just play it over and over, like I did. It really got me.

Deep Eddy
What a wonderful match of song and title to their watery namesake. This is lovely music. It suits watching a sunset over the ocean horizon, or the mood that descends as a nearby bonfire turns to glowing embers. Or, the reflection of a clear, starry night sky in a completely still pool of water. Or the deep dark eddies in gleaming pair of eyes. But these serene scenes are not emotionally calm; they stir strong emotions, or passions. This “Deep Eddy” stirs those same emotions and passions, and recalls them vividly.

Sewer Surfin
I couldn’t separate this song from the scene in a famous surf movie in which surfers are shown sliding down a large drainage pipe to the beach below. So I just went with the imagery. It’s only rain water run-off, right? It wouldn’t be the fastest surfing, and better not try to hang ten or stand, or anything. They run down-hill. Why not? “Sewer Surfin” is just the song for sewer surfin’ on a skate board. And talk about riding in the tube! It’s all tube, man!

It’s a Thing
And so we reluctantly arrive at the last song on the record. At under two minutes long, it’s the second shortest song on the entire album. But it’s not short on great beat, melody and mood. There’s a real vintage vibe to the melody, but the arrangement and instrumentation is modern, edgy, dark, moody. And it stops just like it starts – suddenly. On an album with a lot of great songs, it’s one of my favorites. It’s a fitting finale to a fantastic album of surf music.

Listening to “It’s a… THING!” for as long as it took to write this review has been a joyful experience. There’s excellent song writing, arranging, and fantastic musicianship on every song. The whole record sounds fabulous. Listening to this record a lot… it’s a thing!

The terrific cover art and layout are by Barb Myers and Billy Heller. The equally terrific interior layout is by Ian Williams.

It’s a…THING! is on Deep Eddy Records. It and all Surf Zombie records are available from Deep Eddy Records. www.deepeddy.net

The Surf Zombies are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/surfzombiesband

The Surf Zombies are Trevor Treiber, Tyler Russell, Brook Hoover, and Ian Williams.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Dec 01, 2014 19:10:41

Page 1 of 1