Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SurfGuitar101 Website »

Permalink SG101 Surf Band Map

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Ralph, I'll try to adjust the name like you suggest. I'll have to watch out for that as I approve bands. This is another reason why someone should review the bands that get submitted.

I think it will be important to be as specific as possible for locations.

I've just pushed an update that uses green for active and red for inactive and also adds some warning text about being specific as possible for the location. You may have to clear your browser's cache to see the green / red markers (e.g. hold shift while clicking refresh).

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Any way to put what years the bands were active? I'm thinking if the map feature supports it, being able to go through the years and seeing how different areas have different densities.

-Darren

That's a great idea Darren. It would require some re-jiggering of the database. The problem is I don't think that information is widely known. We are currently having enough problems with the location. We have 2 or 3 bands from Los Angeles and Berlin for example. Without a more precise location only 1 pin gets put in the center of LA. But if that info was known you could filter by decade or something. Might be interesting. Let's see how much data we get and we can look at it later.

Brian wrote:

Ralph, I'll try to adjust the name like you suggest. I'll have to watch out for that as I approve bands. This is another reason why someone should review the bands that get submitted.

The band that was formed first shouldn't have to have the country next to their name, in my opinion.

Brian wrote:

That's a great idea Darren. It would require some re-jiggering of the database. The problem is I don't think that information is widely known.

What about entering the years the band was active (if available) in the "note" field of the form? That way Brian doesn't have to change anything and if that information is not known then it can just be left out.

Brian wrote:

We are currently having enough problems with the location. We have 2 or 3 bands from Los Angeles and Berlin for example. Without a more precise location only 1 pin gets put in the center of LA.

I suggest that every band should be entered with a random address within their home town, to prevent the pointers from stacking up. I just did that with a French band (on the off chance another band would be based in the same town), it just took 2 minutes to find a random street name from that town on Google maps. Of course, if you know the real exact address, that's even better.

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014 19:07:41

I'm probably going to write a script or something to find all the bands with the same location string. Then alter the duplicates slightly somehow. But it would really help if they came in a unique address. Of course this isn't always known, especially for the 60's bands.

102 bands on the first day, wow! And we haven't even scratched the surface yet.

I've got 3 bands in the queue for Atlanta, GA. What should I do?

Ok, I'm just going to Google for the center of various cities and pick some random business or landmark for the duplicates. That seemed to work. But please be crazy specific if you can.

Unless you live on a tiny Island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!
Wink

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

I'm seeing some weird stuff with the map. Not all the information about the band is making it into the pop-up balloon on every band. Hmmm

It's interesting to see the clusters of surf bands on the map. SoCal has a large one, but sadly the birthplace of Surf, the OC Coast, is devoid of active bands.

Squink Out!

People are emailing me with info. Please, if you want to add a band to the map, go here and fill out the form.

Also try to be more specific than city, state. Make up an address if you want, or pick a venue you play at or something.

Thanks!

I want to thank everyone who has added a band to the map, especially Jonpaul. It hasn't even been a week yet and we are just over 150 entries. But we are only just getting started! Only now we have our first band from South America and a few from Australia. We need more bands, both past and present. Someone with some free time on their hands please start flipping through Bob Dalley's book and add the bands with their hometowns. I'll get to this eventually but can always use the help.

Please go ahead and add some more. Just be as specific as you can about the location. When multiple bands are in the same city I have to hunt around for landmarks or google the band to ensure distinct markers get on the map.

Add a band to the map

Last edited: Oct 03, 2014 21:37:22

Great! I'll tell my folks to add their bands. Mexico & South America looks a bit empty!

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

Added The SpeNerds for an Alaskan pin!

The SpeNerds
Alaska's Premier Instrumental Surf Trio!

updated spanish surf bands

Carlos Yela
Surf Music Madrid FB
La Ola Perfecta
Surf Music Madrid site

I know it may not be possible but please don't add 10 bands with the same location. There will only be one marker placed on the map instead of 10. Try to add a street address or maybe name a club or landmark to make each one unique.

I just put the Grande Bois on the map! Finland out!

Twang & Bop til You Drop!

Holy moly there are 50+ bands to approve. Carlos went crazy. Who knew there were so many bands in Spain?

Okay I figured out how I can tweak the latitude and longitude, so I will stop yelling at you to make unique locations. But if you can, please do, it makes my job easier.

Last edited: Oct 04, 2014 16:35:55

More bug fixing from me. Apparently if you added a band with an "exotic" name (using letters with accents, etc.) the website would give a 500 internal error. This is fixed now.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next