Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Thanks for the Award and the Guitar!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

HA HA Ferenc!!! LOVE IT! LMAO

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Hats off to you all!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014 17:23:35

Way to go, guys! Another fabulous item from the convention.

Ferenc, you caused a true LOL Smile
But seriously, this is an awesome reward for an awesome guy! I just told Danny yesterday that I wish we had time to hang out some day when not in a mad rush to play or move gear.
Thanks Jeff and Paul for making this happen,
Ran

The Scimitars

PolloGuitar wrote:

While I have Danny's new guitar, I thought I'd trick it out for him-- jumbo frets, scalloped fretboard, rout the body for 3 humbuckers, a new paint job, and topped off with Ernie ball .008s! How does everyone in the gear forum feel about active electronics? I'll bet if I routed the upper bout I could squeeze in a Boss FRV! RAD!!!

Yes Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

PolloGuitar wrote:

While I have Danny's new guitar, I thought I'd trick it out for him-- jumbo frets, scalloped fretboard, rout the body for 3 humbuckers, a new paint job, and topped off with Ernie ball .008s! How does everyone in the gear forum feel about active electronics? I'll bet if I routed the upper bout I could squeeze in a Boss FRV! RAD!!!

Needs a 'Lets lets trick out Danny's new guitar (and keep it a secret)' FB event

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

Bad ass dude... if you can get it to look more like a B.C. Rich, it would be perfect.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Don't forget the Floyd rose and locking nut! Smile

This is the prepared speech that I wrote a few days before the convention. It isn't exactly what I said on stage but I riffed from it from memory.

It must have been around 2006 when SurfGuitar101 transitioned from a Yahoo Group to the interactive forum that it is now. I remember around that time we had an new member on the Yahoo Group who had just rediscovered surf music. He was a guitarist coming from the punk scene, and he had been away from the guitar and music for quite some time after having his gear stolen. He was incredibly excited by surf music and the surf band revival and he participated heavily in the threads about gear and getting an authentic surf sound.

So going back to 2006 when we switched to the forum format I got a very nice email and a donation for SurfGuitar101 from this gentleman. He told me how much the list and now the forum meant to him, and that he had been away from music for a long time. But now thanks to SG101 he was in his first surf band. He had just joined Meshugga Beach Party.

Yes I’m talking about Danny Snyder. Also known as Shecky Sheckels from Messhaga Beach Party, as a guitarist in Ferenc’s surf super group “Frankie & The Pool Boys”, and as Mycroft Eloi in his own amazing band “The TomorrowMen”. Not only is Danny one of the leading guitar players and songwriters of our little surf scene but he is also a huge friend and mentor to many people in the SG101 community. Danny gives guitar and songwriting lessons. Danny teaches at the Sierra Surf Music camp. Danny helped take the NorCal band The Deadbeats under his wing and gave them lots of advice and encouragement. Danny is also a volunteer moderator at SG101 where he always has helpful advice for new members of the forum because he remembers he was new once.

I’m also very lucky because Danny has become a very good friend to me. You can always count on Danny for his wonderful sense of humor, his sense of warmth and friendship for the community, and his very giving nature (which you should see in action a bit later...). He is definitely an admired leader in our community and we are so very lucky to have him. So please join me in showing some much deserved appreciation for our friend Danny Snyder!

It was really tricky juggling the secret of Danny's award / guitar and Jeff's award / computer / trip. And the fact that they were basically gifts from each other was just perfect.

Huge thank you to Paul Wayne (ColtsSurf) who provided the guitar to make this special thing possible. What a guy!

I feel bad because I didn't hear anything about Danny's guitar. I knew all about Jeff's surprise. There must be a hipper than hip site that makes facebook look like myspace where these things happen?

Ferenc - nice work-mate! The projects have I done, and the guitars I have ruined/repaired on mine....

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Don't feel bad Chris. Danny's award was a closely guarded secret. Only a handful of people knew.

In November of 2009, I filled in on a KFJC shift from 10am to 2pm and just for the heck of it, I got programming permission to do an all-surf show. This guy Danny Snyder called and told me that he was enjoying the show and asked if I could tell people about Meshugga's show at Forbidden Island that night. (Also that day legendary surf DJ Phil Dirt happened to be driving by the station, heard the surf music, and stopped by to say hello.)

The next day I got this email from Danny "Hi Cousin Mary, I really enjoyed the surf show you hosted yesterday, a great mix of music - well done! Thanks also for mentioning our show at Forbidden Island last night, we had a great turnout; Jewish Surf Music...who knew?! Hearing your show and especially when Phil showed up made me long for the old days of Saturday night's surf show, if only I taped them when I had the chance. BTW: I don't know if you're a big surf fan or just an excellent DJ, but if it's the former, my wife and I produce a podcast of surf music for the website surfguitar101.com. The link is here: http://surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Podcast and it's also on iTunes. Feel free to pass it on."

I was feeling really uneasy about playing surf music on KFJC. Danny's note was the encouragement I needed at the time to keep going and this is also when I found out about surfguitar101.

A lot of words to say I am DELIGHTED that Danny got this award.

Wow, that's awesome. Congratulations, Danny!

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Sonichris wrote:

I feel bad because I didn't hear anything about Danny's guitar. I knew all about Jeff's surprise. There must be a hipper than hip site that makes facebook look like myspace where these things happen?

Ferenc - nice work-mate! The projects have I done, and the guitars I have ruined/repaired on mine....

Chris,
Paul , aka colt surf donated the guitar , there was no donation fund.
Same with the guitar for Ivan last year.
And the 2 raffle guitars the years before that.
Paul is the gift that keeps on giving.
I told him it's not necessary to keep donating.
But he does every year. Amazing!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Holy Frijole Batman, there's a lot of nice words written above. Thank you everyone. I'm quite inspired by all your kindness, I better get my ass in gear and start the new album. Oy Vey

There's a couple people I need to recognize in this thread, for I wouldn't be here today to receive all this if it weren't for them.

First, of course would be my wife Adrienne aka Lady Reverb. Many of you know the challenge of having a significant other not share your enthusiasm for this style of music, it's a difficult situation. I've been very fortunate that Adrienne is an actual fan, and has naturally good taste and is supportive of my playing in bands, despite the sacrifice of our own quality time as a result. It is a fact that she's the one who encouraged me to pick up the guitar again after quitting for a dozen years, and when I did so, she's the one who suggested I play surf music. Believe it or not, my previous band played such a unique style that Surf music looked positively mainstream Big Grin I really love her and share all this goodwill with her. Kiss

The other person who without a doubt has had the biggest impact on me in playing surf music is Ferenc. With the risk of denigrating this wonderful award and goodwill, I have to say that Ferenc has done far more than I have to help the cause of Surf music. I don't want to go into a long list of how he's done so, but trust me - it's a long list. But mainly, he set the tone for the entire Norcal surf scene to be inclusive, and supportive, and active. And he inspired me to want to be that way as well. He's a great friend, and great musician, and a wonderful band mate (as is Karen) and I'm very lucky to have crossed paths with this guy. Here's to you Ferenc Cheers

Of course I can go on, but I'll spare you. Thanks again for all your kind words everyone!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Such a mensch

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I've only had a few interactions with Danny, but they have all been thoughtful, helpful and super! I am just really impressed (again) with what a great community SG101 is and happy for Danny to be recognized by an amazing group of peers for the awesome contributions he makes to the music and the forum. Congrats Danny!

https://kingpelican.bandcamp.com/

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014 21:50:05

Just totally, totally neat!
Congrats Danny; the surf goes out and comes back.
Thumbs Up

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

More pictures…

Taken by the consistently amazing photographer Darren Kruger

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014 09:24:09

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next