Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » For Sale / Trade »

Permalink Stephen McParland's Surf Music History Books Now Digitally Available Online

Page 1 of 1

Australian surf music historian Stephen McParland has put 19 of his excellent books into PDF download format (see link below). Stephen's works are filled with great detail, so these books about Gary Usher, Jan & Dean, PF Sloan, the Walker Bros, and many more really are the last word in such things. Now, you can get these books in a MUCH cheaper and easier format than ordering the hard copies from Australia. Strongly recommended!!

https://payhip.com/CMusicBooks

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Very cool, thanks John.
I'm sure Norm will be all over these.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Indeed! I have a few of McParland's books but planning on getting some of these digital downloads as well.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Glad to hear this. I was always curious about his books but the cost & shipping from Australia always held me back.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Bump

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

The prolific surf music historian, Stephen McParland has completed two more books, both downloadable as PDF files (as are most of his other works):

"LATIN LUAU" (584 pages!!!!)

Documents the influence of the “LATIN” culture - Spain-Portugal-Mexico-South America-Caribbean - on the development and ongoing nature of SURF MUSIC.
Surf tunes - either vocal or instrumental - of a “LATIN” influence (no matter how vague) have been included, as have group names that bear a connection to surf (and in some instances HOT-ROD MUSIC). Most of these, and the aforesaid tunes, are included in John Blair’s "The Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Surf Music 1961-1965" and "The Encyclopedia Of Hot Rod Music 1961-1965," the latter compiled in conjunction with this hombre.
Likewise, some attempt has been made to document Spanish place names (often beaches or beachside locales) mentioned within surf/hot-rod tunes, as well as Spanish terms used to describe either specific surfing manoeuvres or surfing attire - in particular Huaraches!
Two largely non-surf related artists feature heavily within this treatise. These are FRANK ZAPPA and PAT & LOLLY VEGAS, the latter the subject of an entire Appendix, amounting to some 100+ pages.
On the other hand, Zappa is woven into the fabric of some entries, while also, like the Vegas brothers, featured prominently in an appendix (1) which details his early musical forays of a surf music and related nature.

"BEFORE REDBONE: The Pat & Lolly Vegas Story" (116 pp)

Redbone was the first recognised native American rock music group and a successful one at that.
However, this book is NOT about Redbone. It is the prequel to their rise to prominence (and success), a period that is shrouded in confusing anecdotes, inaccurate information and time frames that are contradictory.
With "Before Redbone," an attempt is made to correct these inconsistencies and hopefully provide a more balanced and accurate rendering of the career of PAT & LOLLY VEGAS, the driving force behind what would emerge at the dawn of a new decade as REDBONE.

These two new books, as well as his many others, are available here: https://payhip.com/cmusicbooks

While you're at it, consider getting a copy of his "Surf Beat: The Dick Dale Story." It's the most accurate and complete bio of Dick Dale to date.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Page 1 of 1