Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5135 136 Next

I stumbled across a vinyl tolex type coverd wooden box with a handle and stylish chrome corner pieces just the size of a toolbox at the local value village. Perfect!
I figured that based on the size of the fet board I could use a metal hobby enclosure or any small metal box as long as I use insulated standoffs for the board. Gonna be a fun build I think.

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

Teiscofan wrote:

I imagine that the metal enclodure is just for the circuit board?
Is there a need to line the entire box like the cavity on a guitar? I have never seen the inside of a reverb unit........ Thumbs Up

Yes, the circuit board need some shielding to minimize the hum. The circuit is quite high impedance (just like the 6G15) and can pickup noise/hum. I dont think shielding the entire box would improve anything.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014 01:06:03

Bjosh. Thats what I thought, I was on the offset guitar forum and a builder had put sheilding around the spring unit to reduce hum.( albeit a tube unit). Thanks for the thoughts. Thumbs Up

This looks like one cool cheap solution

Got the MOD pan finally.
Tested and approved! (under rocket fire, literally Mad ).
Sounds delicious! Nothing beats real spring interaction. The drip is deep.
While wailing away, sirens going off and explosions in the sky... Would have made a video but had to take my family to safety.

TBC...

The cheapest shielding solution is the one Fender used, a piece of foil-lined cardboard attached to the bottom of the pan. I use a leftover pieces of foam board, but any heavy-duty piece of cardboard will do. Then I spray it with photo mount adhesive and lay a piece of foil on it. The cardboard is held to the pan with short sheet metal screws.

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

That aluminum tape used for water heater ducts is really handy, with very sticky backing.
In the photos posted above by Dread, what is that channel material?

Squink Out!

I'm VERY excited to hear this in person! Dead Reverb

Bjorn, are these very early kits numbered in some way? It would be super cool for those that are jumping on this to know that they have kit #1,2,3,etc.

More to come soon....

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

DreadInBabylon wrote:

Got the MOD pan finally.
Tested and approved! (under rocket fire, literally Mad ).
Sounds delicious! Nothing beats real spring interaction. The drip is deep.
While wailing away, sirens going off and explosions in the sky... Would have made a video but had to take my family to safety.

TBC...

Hope you and your family stay safe.

JObeast wrote:

That aluminum tape used for water heater ducts is really handy, with very sticky backing.

Looks like steel studs for wall construction. They're usually used for commercial construction. Not sure if the mega chains carry them.

JONPAUL wrote:

I'm VERY excited to hear this in person! Dead Reverb

Bjorn, are these very early kits numbered in some way? It would be super cool for those that are jumping on this to know that they have kit #1,2,3,etc.

More to come soon....

Jonpaul,
great idea to number the boards, I havent thought about that!
I will try to find a way to number them.
The first 10 kits were marked R2, this years kits are marked R3.

I bet a bit of old downpipe would suffice, & could be snipped with tin shears! Attached to wall of the toolbox enclosure with sheet metal screws. Real low-rent style!

Surf_Skater wrote:

JObeast wrote:

Looks like steel studs for wall construction. They're usually used for commercial construction. Not sure if the mega chains carry them.

Squink Out!

Waiting for mine to arrive! Cool

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

I'm inteding to get a Surfy Bear FET cirquit board as it's much more portable than the RI unit I have. I'm thinking of placing the PCB in a normal pedal casing and carry the spring pan separately. Would the pedal enclosure provide enough shielding to the PCB? Do I really need to shield the pan? The one in my RI unit is unshielded and I haven't had any hum issues yet.

ALSO! Congratulations Bjoish, for this great idea you had of replacing the tubes with FETs in the fender reverb unit design! I've heard the FET overdrive pedals sound really close to real tube amps. I wonder how come nobody thought of what you did earlier, since so many huge effects companies were always on the hunt for the best spring reverb pedal. I haven't played it yet, but I expect it to sound much better than the Boss FRV-1, the Danelectro Spring King and the Catalinbread Topanga.

https://zakandthekrakens.bandcamp.com/
https://www.dirtyfuse.com

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014 01:29:57

JObeast, the link I posted explains it: Thin steel construction beams. I imagine a wide enough one could populate both the circuit and the pan.

JONPAUL, I share your feeling wholeheartedly that this is going to be a hit.
The Surfy Bear Project is by far the best (and cheapest too!) 3G15 emulation on earth! Amazing and commendable job, Bjorn!

Surf_Skater wrote:

Hope you and your family stay safe.

Thank you! Angel

Forward we go...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014 02:06:45

RaistMagus wrote:

I'm inteding to get a Surfy Bear FET cirquit board as it's much more portable than the RI unit I have. I'm thinking of placing the PCB in a normal pedal casing and carry the spring pan separately. Would the pedal enclosure provide enough shielding to the PCB? Do I really need to shield the pan? The one in my RI unit is unshielded and I haven't had any hum issues yet.

ALSO! Congratulations Bjoish, for this great idea you had of replacing the tubes with FETs in the fender reverb unit design! I've heard the FET overdrive pedals sound really close to real tube amps. I wonder how come nobody thought of what you did earlier, since so many huge effects companies were always on the hunt for the best spring reverb pedal. I haven't played it yet, but I expect it to sound much better than the Boss FRV-1, the Danelectro Spring King and the Catalinbread Topanga.

Thanks for the kind words !
I don't expect to get rich but its a fun project Smile

I think your idea will work fine.
As you can see above DreadInBabylon seems to try the same thing.

As Raistmagus asked and enquiring minds want to know.......Do we really need to shield the pan?
Im starting my build this weekend with the box and am wearing a path to the mailbox waiting for thr kit....... Drool
Dreadinbabylon.Thanks for posting the link, that is brilliant idea.

Teiscofan wrote:

As Raistmagus asked and enquiring minds want to know.......Do we really need to shield the pan?

I have not shielded my pans, have not seen a need for it.
In noisy environments maybe, but normally not.

Bjorn, I'm such a dunce with electronics please can you expand details on correct power supply. Adapters usually have some symbol markings such a polarity type, in this case should the plus be on the left or right side.

One more question. It looks like you are using a fairly chunky heat-sink on the V.2 board, does enclosures require some ventilation.

Hi Crumble.

I recommend that you connect the DC jack to your power supply and then measure the voltage on the pins on the jack. This way you can make sure you get the polarity right.

The MOSFETs can stand very high temperatures but I recommend some ventilation. This way you can extend the life of the components.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5135 136 Next