Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink New to surf music, any suggestions?

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

I'd strongly recommend, (what got me into it):
"The Birth of Surf" Vol. 1
and
The Ventures: "Walk Don't Run: All Time Greatest Hits". It's the CD with the blue and red cover. Just about every song on that one is approachable with a guitar.

The Sentinels, not sure if I spelled right ..The Challengers are some great first wavers and don't fogey Jon and the night riders Big Grin

I recommend listening to North Sea Surf Radio. You'll get to know more amazing bands in a couple of days than you can count. Smile

Niels Jansen
Program Director
North Sea Surf Radio

To submit your surf music to North Sea Surf Radio send the tracks as .mp3 in 320kbps bitrate with correct tags to playlist@northseasurfradio.com via Dropbox.

North Sea Surf Radio: Website- Facebook - Twitter
North Sea Surf Festival: Website - Facebook - Twitter
The Phantom Four: Website - Facebook - Twitter

nielsjansen wrote:

I recommend listening to North Sea Surf Radio. You'll get to know more amazing bands in a couple of days than you can count. Smile

I would like to second this as it is exactly my experience from someone who hadn't picked up a guitar or gigged in many moons. It is like an immersion course in surf music - and from a worldwide perspective. NSSR is UNIQUE on the planet.

The first thing of value was that for a simple donation I got NSSR's Best of 2013 which is a ginormous value. (so donate, hint, hint) I still like the resolve in that hot lady's voice when she says, "...and we'd like to keep it that way." (commercial free, best deal on the planet).

Anyway, since my situational awareness-challenged family cannot seem to read explicit Christmas lists handed to them I've been downloading some items to scratch them off the list. These would include:

The Coconauts Coco-Naughty! album
Insect Surfers, Infra Green
Crazy Aces, Greatest Hits Vol.2
The Atlantics, Best of

A Night in Zagreb is inbound from Bambi Molester-land.

The regular listening of NSSR also helps with homework assignments like picking ten for the Top-101, which is really tough.

Playing all the above downloads by the way I can pass along to Noel, Matt, Jeff and others... I GET IT! Big Grin
Now I know why there is such trebly potential built into the tools I tone down when just noodling about the house. Wanna play along with 'Cogo Au Go Go'? Let the treble lead & the reverb bleed. (I love my Strat and Jazzmaster for what they do best.)

Phenomenal albums all and VERY well-engineered I might add. The little baby pair of powered Harmon-Kardons here are cranking like they're happy now.

Anyway, dive in. Snowbound & havin' a blast.
Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014 20:08:04

Duane Eddy and Hank Marvin are two of my personal heroes of the twang!

Drew Townson
The Derangers
Los Texicanos
Boston, MA

rubberbinder wrote:

I'm a guitarist and have recently decided to learn the surf style of playing, but due me being new to the surf scene I'm not very well acquainted with the artists to listen to and then learn their songs. I know of "The Beach Boys" "Dick Dale" "The Ventures" "The Original Surfaris" and "The Surfaris" I would really like to get into these bands more as well as others so all suggestions are greatly appreciated in regards to songs, albums, artists and basically everything else that pertains to surf music.

The Ventures Surfing Guitars album from 2007 I believe, is a awesome surf album with modern recording techniques you could learn off of. Songs like Diamond Head, Pipeline, and Walk Don't Run 64 are some really famous surf tunes. I would not recomend a stratocaster or gibson whatsoever for surf, A jaguar or jazzmaster is the way to go. Good luck on your surf adventure

Grab the jag, then the surfboards and hop in the Woody. Let's Go Trippin.

Golddaddy wrote:

I would not recomend a stratocaster or gibson whatsoever for surf,

These guys would tend to disagree:

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014 16:10:23

Ivan has those photos primed and ready to go anytime someone disparages the mighty strat!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Aah… starts just look like offsets with anorexia to me... Stir the Pot

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

offsets are just strats with Body Dis-morphia.
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Brian wrote:

Ivan has those photos primed and ready to go anytime someone disparages the mighty strat!

hahahahaha Laughing

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

At risk of doubling up on anything anyone else has said, the Surf Coasters are really who got me quite heavily into surf, they are an excellent example of a neo-surf band, and rated by Dick Dale, I believe.

i will suggest you to buy the Ventures in space and the great surf crash of 97 from Phantom Surfers!

elSentenza

Watang! Mandarine Surfers
https://www.facebook.com/watangsurf?ref=hl

I did four things (and I'm still learning/discovering more nearly every single day)...two as a "gateway" to get me started, the other two as ongoing "maintenance":

1) Got the Rhino "Cowabunga" box set
2) I discovered - and started lurking/reading at - SurfGuitar101

3) Soak up everything surf music-related I can on YouTube
4) I listen to North Sea Surf Radio every single day (anything that catches my ear, I jot it down and go Googling the song/band, or look for them on iTunes, YouTube, etc.).

In 18 months I feel like I've gotten an incredible crash course in the genre/culture, from the above four things. The things I've learned in this short time has been awesome. In December 2012 I knew just the absolute basics, a handful of the big names/originators and I honestly couldn't have told you the difference between a Jazzmaster and a Jaguar (they were just Fender's "not Telecaster" guitars). Smile

I'm a first-wave fan, so the bulk of my interest resides in those early 60's years/bands/songs. I'm slowly branching out to modern acts (Messer Chups, Los Kahunas, The Supertones, etc.), but I felt like I should start at ground level with the architects and pioneers. So that's what I did...get a solid foundation to build on, etc.

Last edited: Jul 03, 2014 21:29:46

That's a great plan you have there pscates. I'm glad SG101 could help you out. And NSSR is a huge resource!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

pscates,

Great approach. Seems like an excellent blue print for learning about surf.

Since you are interested in learning about the roots, I would suggest you read a posting by Paul Johnson in which he discusses the origins of surf.
http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/16159/?page=3#p226800

I hope your interest in surf continues to grow.

Later,
Norm

I'm still relatively new to the surf scene but the bands that got me amped on it were and are The Surf Coasters, Messer Chups, and Threesome. Those 3 bands bring the high energy to their music that appeals to me since my background is from the punk/new wave/hardcore scenes. =)

I also like the surf music with a punk background.
When surf musicians came from punk or similar high energy music to surf, this will be a great basic!

So you definitely have to get this here:
http://www.surferjoemusic.com/store/index.php?view=item&item=801#.U7ZexFzMBd0

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Last edited: Jul 04, 2014 03:01:10

Skatexedge,

Surf coasters and Threesome are both playing
The SG101 convention Aug. 9th, I hope you are planning
To come.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I would LOVE to see both of those bands live
but alas, the cross country trip is just not possible this year.
hopefully next year

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next