Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Repressed Surf Delinquent Memories

Page 1 of 1

I just finished an essay on physician-assisted suicide, and a few paragraphs ago I was staring at the wall zoning out and for no reason I had a flashback of some apparently repressed memory--possibly of my first brush with surf music. (I've had absolutely no recollection of this until now.)

I think I was in 6th or 7th grade and was watching TV when some commercial came on advertising some CD compilation. I can't remember if it was all surf, but I remember seeing that one song was something called "Wipeout" by some band called the "Surfaris." I remember thinking "what kind of loser would build an entire musical career off the the sport of surfing? That's DUMB."

Evil
Man, what a punk. And then four years later I discover Phil Dirt's show and get addicted. Three years after that and I'm an aspiring surf guitarist. Cool

Anyways, I just figured some people might find that kinda funny... Or offensive. I was offended. Laughing

that is funny in my book.

I was at a Exotica/jazzy combo show last night.
and I told a few of my friends there.
If somebody had told me in High school that I would be at a Jazz/Exotica show on a monday night, I'd have said they were high.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

that's funny. your only that young? haha wow.

i grew up listening to "surfin USA" so i grew up on the notion of making the sport into music.

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

Paranoid wooza--you aren't alone! i've got vague memories of a guy that played the guitar backwards when we lived in oceanside ca. back in the early 60's. .........my mom told me that it wasn't "seemly" to be doing something like that. later i saw him in some really bad surf movies but the 1st wave had already bowled me over! i thought the beach boys were hilarious--but cool! what a way to live and make a living! who would have thought?? peace

Page 1 of 1